Skip to Content
It is currently November 28th, 2020, 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broadcaster Pro or DJ
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm 
New User
New User

Hello all.

I'm sure this question has been asked (and answered) before, but as someone totally brand new to Spacial/SAM I need some advice please.

I have secured a live slot on an Internet station and having done quite a lot of research I know I'm going to use a version of SAM. What I'm finding difficult to understand is which version do I need?

It's not my own station, I'm just going to be presenting one 2-hour show per week. So under these circumstances do I need Broadcaster Pro or will SAM DJ be sufficient? I've been offered a slot on another station too, so will be broadcasting to two separate stations (on different days) make a difference to my requirements?

Final thing; I've looked at a couple of tutorials on YouTube and in each case the guy also has a physical 6 channel mixer hooked up to his PC. Is a separate mixer essential too or can everything run off of the software if you have your media on computer?

My radio presenting has always been at the station's studio with a physical desk, where I know exactly what I need to do. When it comes to internet radio I'm really struggling.

Thanks to all and apologies if these are 'stupid' questions.

Ian

PostPosted: November 4th, 2020, 5:45 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

There's several things:

There's SAM Broadcaster Live DJ and there's SAM DJ. Neither is of any use for you.

Live DJ only works in combination with a subscription for SAM Broadcaster Cloud (but is included for free with that).
SAM DJ doesn't have any encoders and thus is of no use for Radio broadcasting.

If the station you work for is not running on Spacial services, you will need SAM Broadcaster Pro or Studio versions.
How many stations you want to use in SAM doesn't matter for which version to choose. The only difference in the versions of SAM is which services it can connect to. (Pro/Studio include everything, Lite/Plus can only connect to SpacialNet and CheapestStream, Live DJ can only connect to SAM Cloud)

---

Running a physical mixer together with SAM is not something I would recommend for beginners with the software.

SAM is first and foremost an automation system with only limited capabilities for Live DJing.

SAM is designed to do most things on it's own and everything you do manually is supposed to be done by clicking in the UI with a mouse.

So yeah, you don't need any external hardware and I wouldn't recommend using any unless you're comfortable with the inner workings of SAM's Audio Pipeline.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode