Skip to Content
It is currently August 17th, 2018, 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 10:15 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Hi, I've noticed for the last several weeks that several times an hour I get people connecting for just a few seconds, maybe a minute at the most, and then disconnecting. It's usually from the same general locality, SW side of Minneapolis, MN, but not the same ISP so it's not the same person, maybe a few different people, but not one person. And, it's always using the xmms player, which I think is for linux.

Reading a thread on the Spacial Directory forum it appears that this is just xmms connecting and getting the current song or something. I posted there a few days ago and got no answer. So, I'm asking here. This thing is driving me up the wall, so to speak. Can anybody tell me what's going on here? Is it a linux xmms player incompatibility with my stream? Or are the people in Minneapolis out of there minds? Or, maybe, it's a conspiracy and some kind of weak denial of service attack ( :lol: ).

Seriously, this goes on 24 hours a day, several times an hour and I'd like to know why.

www.churchofgod.net

Last edited by DJ Cassio on October 19th, 2008, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to General Discussion - Not SAM related

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 10:36 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Nope... this is merely online applications that look to see what you're playing and reporting it back.

There are numerous online services that will scan thru hundreds of stations at a time looking for something from a certain artist or genre... thus allowing listeners the ability to "search" the web for stations playing music they would like.

Say you liked "rock" or "Rolling Stones". One of these services could scan thru several stations looking for "rock" or "rolling stones." It would then report back to you what online stations are playing that.

I get these all the time. Just ignore them.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 4:58 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I see. Thanks for the answer. Now my mind can rest.

www.churchofgod.net

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 7:10 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Exactly. Sometimes the need arises to display stream info without having access to a ShoutCast or IceCast server, so one reads the stream for display and disconnects.

But at least the interrogating software should set a nice user agent, so you could see and/or block them. If ever you get caught by my StreamInfo software (sorry, page in German), it’ll tell you nicely in the user agent field: »Moonbase StreamInfo/1.3 (Winamp compatible)«.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 12:05 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Ok, I appreciate the help so far. At least I know now that it's not somebody messing with me.

But, I still don't fully understand. Is this some site that just discovered my stream and is doing this automatically? Or did someone request that it do it? Or is it a program someone installed and used to listen to my stream and now the program just keeps checking every little bit to keep the person updated on the stream info?

Sorry to be such a novice, but I'd like to better understand this. If you don't have time to explain it, maybe you can point me in the right direction so I can research it myself. I tried google, but have no idea what to search for except xmms, which told me it was a linux media player and nothing more.

www.churchofgod.net

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 8:25 am 
Junior User
Junior User

All three are possible, and then some:

• Some sites out there try to »compile« a list of internet radio stations and like to show their users what’s playing (see shoutcast.com, only they let you opt-in and don’t try to »rip« the info from you).
  • Someone just checks your station programmatically because for some reason they want to know what’s playing (and maybe tune in).
  • You might have registered your stream with some yp (yellow pages) server, so of course they want to know (and show) what’s playing.
  • You send an AAC+ stream and Windows Media Player users try to tune in (they can’t without the right plugin, and WMP is dumb enough to retry, and retry …).
  • The music industry (yes, they do), trying to check you for sending copyrighted or banned material.
  • Shoutcast’s stream checker, if a) you are registered with them, b) apparently also if you’ve registered your station at spacialnet/audiorealm [not sure], and if c) your stream breaks down. Some 1-3 »users« (can’t remember their user agentright now, something with »SHOUTcast«) start »hammering« your stream to check if it goes up again, then vanish after a few minutes.
  • And of course stream rippers are notorious for that. They usually »check in« at about the times when a new song starts. (These are automated programs set for recording a list of songs, or programs.)

But as someone said earlier, usually a few of those don’t really hurt the server, so you could just ignore them. The only problem arises if you are running a hosted stream on a third party server that is already near it’s limits, i.e. you usually have 90 listeners and run a 100-slot-stream. Stream rippers can become a nuisance in that case, because either you have to upgrade (and pay for it) or some »real« listeners might be kept from listening.

Then again, it’s not always easy to distinguish stream rippers from real listeners (and usually not worth the effort), because they can come in lots of disguises (i.e., faking the user agent field of a standard player like xmms or Winamp). If you have lots of these, you might consider tracing them down and/or banning them.

From experience I can say the best thing is to concentrate on your format, do a good program, use crossfades and talkovers, maybe some drop-ins at times, and all those would-be nuisances will eventually vanish and your real listeners left—enjoying your program.