Skip to Content
It is currently July 19th, 2018, 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: asx files
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 12:19 am 
Junior User
Junior User

A while back someone here answered my question regarding how to setup my stream so that people can listen via Windows Media Player. The information I got was enough to help me to setup an asx file, and place it on my web site so that people could listen via WMP. It worked fine once I got a few bugs worked out. But, recently we switched some things around, using a different hosting company, etc and I've tried again placing a link on my site to the asx files and now it won't work. If I just open the file from the folder it's in on my laptop at home it works just fine. But, the minute I upload it to my site and click on the link in my web page all I get is a blank page with my web address and station name on it. Nothing else. I've even tried putting it on my local server where I have Apache installed. I copied my html file to my server docs folder along with the asx file and then from another computer went to the page and clicked on the link, still same thing.

I know, I'm probably not being very clear in this, not exactly professional jargon. But, bottom line is whether the web page is on my local server I use to run shoutcast, or on my hosted site, it won't work. But, I know the file is fine since I can just open the file and it works.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

Larry

www.churchofgod.net

Post subject: Re: asx files
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 8:25 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Your new host does not have the proper mime types enabled. You can do it using CPanel or with an htaccess file. I have these entries in my .htaccess file
Code:
AddType video/x-ms-asf asx
AddType audio/x-ms-wma wma
AddType audio/mpeg mp3 m3u
AddType audio/x-pn-realaudio rm
AddType audio/x-scpls pls

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 9:37 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Yeah, maybe I should have said more than just something like »be sure they are served with the MIME type of …«. I usually experience the same with many hosters, so I use this (part) of a .htaccess file usually (actually the same, just with some more types in it I require at times):

Code:
# .htaccess - Add all needed audio, video, playlist types
#
AddType audio/mpeg .mp3
AddType audio/x-mpegurl .m3u
AddType audio/x-scpls .pls
AddType audio/x-ms-wma .wma
AddType audio/x-ms-wax .wax
AddType video/x-ms-asf .asf
AddType video/x-ms-asx .asx
AddType video/x-ms-wmv .wmv
AddType video/x-ms-wvx .wvx
AddType video/x-ms-wmx .wmx
AddType application/ogg .ogm
AddType application/ogg .ogg
AddType audio/x-pn-realaudio .ram
AddType application/xspf+xml .xspf

If you have one central place on your web space where all these things like »playlists« are handled, put it there, if you’re unsure, you can also put it into your web’s root folder.

Caveat: There might already exist a .htaccess file (be sure to switch on »show hidden files« in your FTP client!). Be sure to not overwrite that one but instead add the lines above, or you might really mess up some things!

Also, this will only work if your hoster uses an Apache type web server (about 98% chance, I’d guess). Oh well, and if they allow you to use »AddType« (most—if not all—do).

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 10:31 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Hey, that seems to have fixed things. At least for Internet Explorer. Firefox is still not recognizing them, but I think I remember that Firefox needs a plugin to make it recognize asx files. I'll look into that later.

For now, thanks for the help. After posting last night I did some more searching and was pretty sure that it was the mime problem. But, I never found anywhere to edit the .htaccess file, only where I can add mime types to my Apache server, which nothing would work. For some reason my Apache server still is not working, even with the .htaccess file on it.

But, our hosted account is now working so I'll go that direction.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

www.churchofgod.net