It is currently December 5th, 2019, 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stream Ripper Folks
PostPosted: November 4th, 2013, 11:23 am 
Junior User
Junior User

DJ Cassio wrote:
DJ PlaZma wrote:
Incidentally, are you the person who wrote this?

http://plazmaradio.com/stats/status.php

It is a hamn dandy piece of work, if not a bit old.

No I didn't write it but I do use it and have modified it to include City/State/Country.

Impressive!

http://www.PlaZmaRadio.com
http://www.PlaZmaJamz.com

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 4:44 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

My canadian with the squeezebox has been missing for days, now I miss him :( , lol

Anyway, any idea about this new one on me ? Mediabolic-IMHTTP 1.8.225. I find next to nothing on google except it's a media server and I already don't like the sound of this and there is nothing anywhere to give me a clue..and also long hours of listening, very recent too. I wouldn't like my stream going onto a server and then going somewhere else what's the point ? Might as well listen to me directly :roll: :roll:

Cheers

PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 7:31 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Mediabolic developed software for set top boxes and PVRs, then it was acquired by macrovision, then macrovision was acquired by rovi.
Neither of these companies seems to sell/have sold any of these products to consumers. Instead they are just providing the technology to OEM partners who then put it into their own products and sell these under thousands of different names.

That's what I could find with my Google Fu.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 12:15 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Google Fu hmm ok thanks - probably part of the conspiracy

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 4:37 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Just my few little tit bits to ad on to this topic while it still seems to be hot.

I remember reading this thread quite a number of weeks ago, and remember reading about stream rippers from Germany.

I refreshed my listening stats last night, and had three listeners from germany, strangely all tuning in at the same time. so thought I'll do a little experiment. I was doing my 80s show for the week.

Talked up the intro every second to third song, and vola, they had all disappeared. They came back about 30 minutes later. I again started talking up the intros, and incredibly they disappeared...... again! The only genuine listener here seems to be the swiss guy, but here are the IP addresses if anyone is interested to compare notes.

Country IP Address User Agent Agent Type Listen Time
CH Switzerland 92.107.193.226 Unknown Unknown [player] 12 mins, 3 secs
DE Germany 92.195.230.36 Winamp 5.50 Player Player 4 mins, 59 secs
DE Germany 88.78.102.209 Winamp 5.50 Player Player 51 secs
DE Germany 87.179.119.216 Winamp 5.50 Player Player 51 secs

Hope this helps. :) :) :)

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: May 12th, 2014, 7:55 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Just for info, for those who care, freshly hot off the press, had my first one this morning

http://streamwriter.org/en/

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 11:04 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Doesn't seem to matter that I'm crossfading tracks or running liners over the intros because the rippers are still very present and several times last week alone a hand full of songs caused my listener count to jump up by over 500 in a matter of seconds. All players report in a Winamp 5.09 and looking at the map in Centovacast shows the listeners are logging in worldwide.

Shrug... its a losing battle

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 2:12 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

watcher407 wrote:
Doesn't seem to matter that I'm crossfading tracks or running liners over the intros because the rippers are still very present and several times last week alone a hand full of songs caused my listener count to jump up by over 500 in a matter of seconds. All players report in a Winamp 5.09 and looking at the map in Centovacast shows the listeners are logging in worldwide.

Shrug... its a losing battle

Sadly, it is. We get the WinampMPEG/5.09 crew too. They try to mask themselves by making their hostnames appear as different domains ... however, they all seem to come from the same class C block of IP addresses. Banning that block (we use Shoutcast) has gotten rid of most of them, but they always figure out a way to come back.

We could ban that user agent completely, but there are legit players that identify with it. There's an app for Windows 8 that runs in a tile, for one, that shows up as WinampMPEG/5.09.

The battle continues. (sigh)

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 6:26 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Have you at least checked the provider and looked at what IP blocks they own before you start carpet bombing the Internet to block a single rogue user? If the IP belongs to a EU or US ISP, chances are good that in 24 hours the user will have a different IP. If it belongs to a server ISP instead of a consumer ISP that provides internet connections to home users, you could as well just block all their networks instead of a mere 256 hosts.

AFRINIC (Africa): http://www.afrinic.net/ (search field is on the right)
APNIC (Asia/Pacific region): http://www.apnic.net/ (search box is on the right)
ARIN Whois (North America, but they will also tell you to which RIR the IP belongs if it's not themselves): http://whois.arin.net/ (just use the search field in the top right)
RIPE (Europe): https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/query.html
LACNIC (Latin/South America and some pacific islands): http://www.lacnic.net/ (search box in orange on the right, only labeled whois)

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 6:51 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

They all come from this block of addresses: 207.244.72.x. When one is kicked from the stream, it immediately comes back with a different IP from the same block, with a different domain (that generally doesn't exist, is for sale, or actually does bring up a web site having a completely different IP).

I know where they're located, at least as far as a Geolocator will tell me.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2014, 7:24 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

If you do reverse lookups for IP addresses of a "normal" internet connection, you will almost always end up with a hostname that doesn't have a website associated to it.
I know it's hard for people to understand, but the Internet is not equal to the sum of all websites publicly reachable.
For example my IP address currently has the following PTR record associated: ip-aaa-bbb-ccc-ddd.unitymediagroup.de (where a,b,c,d are placeholders for numbers equal to the blocks of my IP)

The IP block you mentioned is way bigger than just one /24 subnet and is associated to the US webhost Leaseweb.
(In fact it's 64 Class-C subnets or more specific a single /18 subnet with 16,384 different IPs: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-207-244-64-0-1)

My Project:

PostPosted: May 15th, 2014, 8:12 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

headcaseradio wrote:
They all come from this block of addresses: 207.244.72.x. When one is kicked from the stream, it immediately comes back with a different IP from the same block...

207.244.72.x houses the control server. Try a class C subnet ban (255.255.255.0).

For anyone not familiar with how this works, users install software and create a "wishlist" of songs they would like to download.

The central system (control server) monitors thousands of streams, and when one plays a song on a user's wishlist, that user's software is instantly notified and connects for the duration of the song. Then it disconnects. Songs that are high in demand can generate a lot of concurrent connections.

The central system is heavily dependent on metadata and timing. So an alternative to banning would be to mess with the timing and/or metadata. For example, switch up the metadata mid-track and the end users end up with only half the song.

This kind of thing has been around for years, but this latest iteration of it is well written. I shudder to think how much bandwidth that control server must pull, being connected to all those shoutcast servers 24/7.

I issued a ban to the subnet and no longer see tune-in spikes when popular tracks play. But I know I'll have to stay vigilant in case the IP address range changes etc.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2014, 8:50 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dotme wrote:
I issued a ban to the subnet and no longer see tune-in spikes when popular tracks play. But I know I'll have to stay vigilant in case the IP address range changes etc.

Subnets are no longer classful as a neccessity. As I outlined above, this network block belongs to US webhost Leaseweb and will usually not provide internet access to valid listeners. A block the size of a class C network is way too small for housing the complete network of any commercial webhost or internet provider. Have a look at the ARIN whois entry I linked in my last post to see how big that network really is and what IP addresses belong to it.

My Project: