Skip to Content
It is currently December 9th, 2019, 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 1:37 am 
Senior User
Senior User

I am a bit lost, perhaps someone could clear the path for me. I think I am treading in the right direction and just need some guidance.

We have an office phone that has four lines with one phone port per two lines. We want to be able to use these lines and also have the audio of the phone work through the mixer and then broadcast through SAM, all using one phone number for guests to call in.

I am looking for a cost effective method and since I am new to the terms PBX and PSTN I want to know if what I have in mind would work or if there are other options.

Getting a JKAudio digital hybrid may not cost effectively handle us having more than one line so I am wondering about PBX solutions, if that is even the correct idea.

I am familiar enough with Linux to consider using FreePBX with Asterisk. What I don't know is what card to get that can hook four lines into the phone that is compatible with Asterisk. I am also wondering if I go with the FreePBX setup that the i/o of the phone can be separated between the line out and line in of the soundcard in computer running Asterisk so that we can feed that into the mixer.

Again I am new to the acronyms ie FXO, PBX, PSTN etc as far as what they would mean in terms of getting the setup we need.

Our phone provider is Google Voice going through an Obi box, so at the end of the Obi it is just like having a regular analogue phone connection.

What we have is the RCA 25424RE1 4-Line phone:
http://www.staples.com/RCA-25424RE1-4-L ... uct_703670

We are also using the ProFX12 Mackie board:
http://www.mackie.com/products/profx12/

We have the cable for going out from the phone's headset 1/16" port however while we can hear ourselves and caller clearly the caller cannot hear us. I would be interested in figuring out how to get that solution to work in the interim as it is enough to get us started before we go live on the air on the 17th.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 9:34 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

5 days for setting up an Asterix PBX without any prior knowledge and without proper hardware at hand?
That's an ambitious goal to say the least.

As for cards that can handle 4 analogue POTS lines, check out the hardware by Digium (the company that created Asterisk)
http://www.voipon.co.uk/digium-tdm404b- ... rrency=USD

q4radio wrote:
Our phone provider is Google Voice going through an Obi box, so at the end of the Obi it is just like having a regular analogue phone connection.

If you're setting up your own PBX system with Asterisk, you can completely leave that thing away and connect the Asterisk directly to Google Voice.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 1:15 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Wondering, are we gonna run into an issue with multiple lines with Google voice? Can Astrisk auto answer then re-address callers to different lines without the need of having different phone numbers?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 2:31 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I've got no idea about Google Voice, but if you've got multiple IP telephony lines with the same number asterisk can handle that.
Don't expect any detailed help with Asterisk from me. My experience is very limited to say the least.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 3:57 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Thank you Ben,

I'll put a tutorial together if I get it working. FreePBX has something called a QUEUE that can put callers on hold in the order they were received, so this is another solution than having multiple lines. Perhaps somone can screen callers and put them back in the queue. I found an FXO/FXS card for cheap that works with Astrisk. FXS is the wall jack connector from provider and FXO is the phone connector. The card I am looking at has four POTS (name of standard telephone connection) that any number can be configured FXS or FXO.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 4:30 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Well, queueing multiple callers will obviously only work if you got either multiple seperate phone lines or the Exchange (either at Google Voice or at the telephone company) supports this. If you Queue a call, that line isn't magically freed up but still blocked.

My Project:

PostPosted: November 14th, 2013, 2:06 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Astrisk's person called me and he said their system is designed to be able to handle call queuing. I'll let you know how it works out. Still waiting for card.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2013, 2:11 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Would be cool if you keep us updated on your progress and the final setup.
I'm really interested in what you're doing there.

My Project: