Skip to Content
It is currently December 14th, 2019, 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 6:39 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Just found out that the Media Player Winamp will be discontinued in less than one month.
That alone may not be major news for most of you. (Though I will certainly miss it)

The interesting part is that they plan to shut down the website and all associated webservices as well.
For SAM Broadcaster users it's especially useful to know that the DSP Plugins will not be available for download anymore unless the author is hosting them on their own site.

So better go ahead and grab all the plugins that MIGHT be of interest for you. They might be gone forever after December 20.

Source: Red Box on the Winamp Download page (Note the red box is not visible anywhere else on the website)
Also: A news story on /.

P.S.: To me it looks like Shoutcast.com (which is also a product by the Winamp makers at NullSoft/AOL) is not affected by this.

EDIT: Relativized my PS statement as I might have assumed too fast that Shoutcast would not be affected.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 7:52 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Mastacheata wrote:

P.S.: Apparently Shoutcast.com (which is also a product by the Winamp makers at NullSoft/AOL) is not affected by this.

Just wondering where you heard that? Source?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 8:34 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Jay wrote:
Just wondering where you heard that? Source?

The announcement on the download page explicitly says "Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013."
I see that one could come to the conclusion that shoutcast.com falls under associated web services, but I interpreted this as only applying to the Online Services feature included in Winamp.

The rest is common sense.
Discontinueing Winamp is sad, but makes sense and was long awaited by most people.
There's too much competition and AOL never managed to get a real business model around winamp.

Shoutcast on the other hand is implemented in lots of hardware from TVs over Set Top boxes to Hardware Webradios.
Since there is no public API of the Shoutcast Yellow Pages from a consumer perspective, I guess these vendors pay to AOL.
Especially considering they are prominently featuring big names like SONY on this page: http://www.shoutcast.com/partners
Also Shoutcast has only very limited competition. There's Icecast which is great as a server software, but noone knows about their Yellow Pages directory.
And then there's Microsoft, but they are trying as hard as possible to NOT let people know about their media streaming server and the associated Yellow Pages directory.

There's also no word about discontinueing the Nullsoft Branch as a whole.

Of course this is only speculation. One could argue discontinueing Winamp makes no sense either since the mobile apps are still very popular, but there's not less competition in that field than on the PC.
I honestly expected AOL to abandon Winamp years ago after the Winamp 3 debacle already.

Just got one more argument: The shoutcast.com website has no hints at all about shoutcast2 development having come to an end. Wouldn't it be the natural move to display the notice on that website as well?

You don't seem to have any better info then I, do you? (http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p ... ostcount=9)

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 8:54 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I recently had an email conversation with someone working about an issue with my stream and the Shoutcast site, and it didn't seem like they had any plans to close down, though I can try to email him to make sure...

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 9:13 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

I am not implying one way or another, I am just making sure that facts (as we know them) are represented here as this could effect a lot of people. The reason I question SHOUTcast's future is because the free ride bandwidth service they offered is now gone. That had nothing to do with Winamp either and seems to be effected.

Speculation is fine but make sure you note it as such. I am doing my own research to see where this road leads.

Isaac, they are being very quiet on the issue of SHOUTcast so if you do get anything definitive we would love to hear about it. My speculation remains just that, I think losing the YP would be very dumb.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 3:26 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

An interesting turn of events.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/21/source ... l/?ncid=fb

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 5:18 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Interesting idea.
Microsoft could be interested in the Winamp efforts for mobile devices. Winamp was one of the most popular third party media players for Android.
The PC version of Winamp and especially the Mac version don't look like a good investment for microsoft, regardless of how cheap they can get it.

I'm not sure how to judge the idea of adding Shoutcast support in the XBox One. Apparently Sony thought it was a good idea to do that with their handheld consoles, but they are easily removing that if Microsoft is the new owner.

My Project:

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 5:29 am 
Super User
Super User

I have listen-link buttons arranged on the left border of my homepage in this order:
PLS
ASX
QTL
RAM
FLASH

PLS is actually two buttons, a Winamp button and an iTunes button, since in practical reality it all depends on the listeners' file association for PLS files. But should I now move PLS down the list? In fact, what is the order of worldwide popularity of these music players, assuming 100s of millions of listeners probably just use the native music player and have never downloaded and associated anything new?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 12:31 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Even though winamp is shutting down its site and services, the Winamp player is still usable, and will still be usable, They have even taken the most recent update (5.66 I think), and opened all of the Pro features.

Now after Dec 20, 2013, the "online" features of the player will no longer work, but the player itself will still work. So for anyone that misses the newest update, after Dec 20, will miss out.

http://www.crossfire-radio.com

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 5:47 am 
Super User
Super User

dj001 wrote:
I have listen-link buttons arranged on the left border of my homepage in this order:
PLS
ASX
QTL
RAM
FLASH

PLS is actually two buttons, a Winamp button and an iTunes button, since in practical reality it all depends on the listeners' file association for PLS files. But should I now move PLS down the list? In fact, what is the order of worldwide popularity of these music players, assuming 100s of millions of listeners probably just use the native music player and have never downloaded and associated anything new?
I am still curious about worldwide popularity of these streaming file formats across all OS's.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 10:59 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Honestly, you should be making your way away from all of those. Your ultimate goal should be an in-browser experience.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 11:04 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Flash Player encapsulating the original stream on the website might have been the most popular format until about 5 years ago.
Nowadays people listen on their mobile phones and tablets and only very few of these devices still have the flash player (the framework to run flash swf files).

ASX, QTL, RAM => Vendor specific formats for Windows Media Player (well it might be more popular these days, but when Winamp was big the WMP couldn't even decode MP3 files), Quicktime player (Yeah, iTunes and a dozen others can play it as well, but does anyone actually use that playlist format?), Realplayer (does that even still exist?)

I would say PLS and maybe M3U are the most popular playlist formats around as they don't require you to write a complicated XML structure but simply put every track with the full or relative path to the audio file on one line of the file. Readable in plain text even with the dumbest players and the slowest hardware.

My Project:

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 3:55 pm 
Super User
Super User

I have a whole mobile setup, just asking about desktop.

BTW, how do you write a simple m3u file? Does it support alternating prerolls or have any special advantages? Is there an m3U only player?

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 4:27 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Simple M3U Format is just listing one entry per line, only giving the location of the file/stream to play:
Example from Wikipedia:
Code:
Alternative\Band - Song.mp3
Classical\Other Band - New Song.mp3
Stuff.mp3
D:\More Music\Foo.mp3
..\Other Music\Bar.mp3
http://emp.cx:8000/Listen.pls
http://www.example.com/~user/Mine.mp3

There's also the Extended M3U Format which gives you additional info about each file, including duration, Title and Artist.
Just check the Wikipedia entry.

dj001 wrote:
Does it support alternating prerolls or have any special advantages?

No
dj001 wrote:
Is there an m3U only player?

Not that I know of. Winamp was the first to implement that format, but it has always supported at least PLS as well.

My Project:

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 4:56 pm 
Super User
Super User

so I just load

http://myIP:Port/listen.pls

into Notepad, save it as m3u, and upload it? That's it?