Skip to Content
It is currently December 8th, 2019, 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 6th, 2014, 10:47 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

DJ PlaZma wrote:
is there another way to put listening limits to my stream to keep it under, say, 24 hours?

Shoutcast, I'm pretty sure, has an optional "listener timer" that will kick people after x number of minutes. Just make sure you don't hang a relay server on it. It will kick that too.

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 3:39 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

dotme wrote:
DJ PlaZma wrote:
is there another way to put listening limits to my stream to keep it under, say, 24 hours?

Shoutcast, I'm pretty sure, has an optional "listener timer" that will kick people after x number of minutes. Just make sure you don't hang a relay server on it. It will kick that too.

Yes - in sc_serv.ini (in Windows) or sc_serv.conf (in Linux), you'll find this line:

ListenerTimer=600

... where the number corresponds to the number of minutes a listener can be connected before the server kicks said listener off into the internet ether. In this case it would be 10 hours, which is the default. Disable it by commenting out the line with a ; at the beginning, to wit:

; ListenerTimer=600

The listener can, however, connect again immediately.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2014, 9:26 pm 
New User
New User

Loudcity is no longer shutting down!
http://www.broadcastingworld.com/news/view-507/

PostPosted: February 15th, 2014, 11:07 am 
Senior User
Senior User

I use Live365

http://www.wxyz-radio.com

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2014, 6:15 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Anyone have any updates on this. I tried to send an email through support at loud city to see if this deal will be completed by the end of the month. I was going to go with StreamLicensing, but now in limbo waiting to see loudcity is going to continue or not? Think I have to the end of the month or a few days after as my subscription payment was on the 1st.

Wallace MacArthur
Celtic Radio Music Network
http://www.CelticRadio.net

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 1:29 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

It would be really good to get SOME update on things since LC originally announced their end of operations for Feb 28th which is tomorrow.

http://www.alwayscountry.net
24/7 Country Internet Radio Station
Commercial-free ~ Old and New Country

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 10:26 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Well their website has been mostly taken down. Looks like Loudcity is finished now.

I signed up for a StreamLicensing account tonight. It is going to take me a few days to get a player working, but I was atleast able to create an account and move my reporting over to their system tonight.

Looks like their requirements are a little more tighter than LoudCity from what I can tell, but they do a fantastic job explaining in fine detail everything you need to know. You can tell the people running that website are really interested in providing a lot of information to help you set your stream up right and to be in compliance with the copyright laws. That is much appreciated. I am looking forward to this. And a big plus is they provide SOCAN licensing (for Canadian music) which LoudCity did not provide. And you get a seal that you can display on your site too which is kinda cool.

I just wish LoudCity hadn't made us believe they had a buyer because from their message they posted it sounded like they might continue with operations. I would have switched over sooner, had it not been for their false message about continuing their operations.

Wallace MacArthur

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 4:01 am 
Junior User
Junior User

We signed with Streamlicensing 2-3 weeks ago because we thought they'd get flooded with new customers but I'm honest, I was hoping for LC until yesterday. Loudcity, thanks for your great und unclomplicated service the past few years!

However, the setup isn't as hard as it looks like. Their website is a bit confusing but down the road, it's not really different to LC. We only had to setup the station, add the 2 streams, add the seal and change the link to streamlicensing instead of loudcity on our website, upload our custom launch page and the pls, asx etc. files. Pretty much a work of a couple hours or so.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 3:53 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I agree, I spent probably 3-4 hours learning the system and setting up a custom content page. Luckily my custom player worked as is. I just needed to upload it to StreamLicensing. What I had to create was the go between page that opens the player up and closes after the player is opened. Also their instructions state the player can not auto start.

I used their example as a base to work on the go between page and then I branded it for our site. It actually looks pretty good and the process for the listener is pretty straight forward. I really like the license badge you get to display on your website or radio page.

Their site is a little more difficult to navigate then the polished LoudCity, but I don't mind that because they have a ton of more information available and instructions, help guides and configuration options.

All in all I am very satisfied and glad to still be able to broadcast a shoutcast stream in addition to Live365 streams.

Wallace MacArthur

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 4:25 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

macfive, I believe you missread the BMI thing regarding closing your page. When you click on the "Listen now" button on your homepage, you end up on your streamlicensing custom page, right? No need to close this page when you open the popup player. I think they meant like when you're on your homepage and add a player link, that you need to close your homepage. But as soon as you're on the streamlicensing custom launch page (and the URL shows it that way), you should be fine. It was the same with Loudcity. Tune in was only allowed from the LC default and/or custom launch pages.

Since we signed up early, I got the change to have Marvin from SL check our website if we're compliant. He said we're fine the way we have it. We have the custom launch page on SL, their popup player script and an another option for an embedded flash popup. All our files are stored in our SL custom folder.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 8:12 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Hi Ac,

Thanks for your response! I appreciate that. What you said makes sense, I probably misread that BMI document. So once you have the SL hosted page basically you are fine with launching the players and you do not need to close the SL hosted page.

I will have to rework that code then! I think I like having the intermediate page rather than a link to launch the player directly from my site since it shows everyone we are licensed and paying royalties which I think it is great that musicians get compensated for their work.

Again thanks for your response, I am going to examine your page and make sure I am doing the same way!

Wallace MacArthur

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 8:18 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

One more question, so if I have a custom player that I upload to SL, no matter what, I can not autostart that player. Correct?

Wallace MacArthur

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 7:38 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

macfive wrote:
One more question, so if I have a custom player that I upload to SL, no matter what, I can not autostart that player. Correct?
That is correct.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 11:27 am 
Junior User
Junior User

macfive wrote:
Hi Ac,

Thanks for your response! I appreciate that......
Again thanks for your response, I am going to examine your page and make sure I am doing the same way!

No problem macfive, let me know if I can help with the rest of your setup :)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 12:29 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I was with Loudcity early on, but switched to StreamLicensing about a year ago. The pricing is comparable, but Stream Licensing probably will be a bit more for most. They do allow you to run in-stream commercials though as a way of getting revenue. When I was with Loudcity, you couldn't do that.

If I license with StreamLicensing™ can I air in-stream commercials?

Answer:

Absolutely! We pay a bit more for our license so that you are not limited in any way. In fact, the more revenue you can generate, the better for all concerned. Go for it!