Skip to Content
It is currently December 8th, 2019, 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 2:41 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Hello everyone,

I am considering broadcasting FM radio to my local area as we don't have local radio. What Setup would you recommend, I already have an internet radio station setup and playing. I live in a private lake community and would love to be able to broadcast to them, offer information services and generally be a good neighbor. What other additional equipment do you recommend. I use SAMBC, My computer is a 64 bit system, windows 7. So those of you who broadcast on FM tell me what you use. :?

http://www.radiofreemissouri.org

"Enjoy the quest, take the risks, and keep dreaming of the big one..!"

Roger McPherson

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 1:31 am 
Junior User
Junior User

I guess none of you know anything about Radio?

http://www.radiofreemissouri.org

"Enjoy the quest, take the risks, and keep dreaming of the big one..!"

Roger McPherson

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 7:59 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

radiofreemissouri wrote:
I guess none of you know anything about Radio?
You'll find a lot more interaction for your question over at http://forums.broadcastingworld.com/

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 8:25 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Terrestrial broadcasting is a highly complicated task. Mostly due to legal issues.
Over here in germany, you'll have to apply for an FM license and wait till a segment in the signal band is freed up by another station going out of business.
Typical time until you get the license is somewhere between 10 and 15 years and the costs easily scratch or even exceed a million euros.
The only unlicensed form of FM broadcasting allowed is with a total power (electrical + antenna gain) of less than 50 nW (5 x 10^-9 W) and only for personal purposes with a reach of less than a couple of meters.

I know that the US is a little easier on licensing of terrestrial broadcasters, but I guess you still need to file a ton of paperwork and the equipment should better be run by a professional.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 3:25 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Missouri = United States

United States = FCC.gov

Here is my professional recommendation...

Call a local radio station in your area and ask for the engineering department...chief engineer would be your best bet. Tell him what you do and what you want to do. To do this you will need an experienced engineer and broadcast attorney. You could possibly apply for an LPFM license. To do what you would it sounds like you want to do an LPFM should cover you.

This project you are interested in trying will be EXPENSIVE and will be a long process.

I am a real broadcaster (19 years this year) so I have some idea of what I'm talking about. :-)

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 3:29 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

www.fcc.gov/lpfm will get you started. Happy Reading and good luck!

PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 11:05 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I have to totally agree with Masta and JayW. The work involved in getting an FM license is incredibly difficult and complicated. Most probably not directly related to what you want to do or your region, but my experiences are as follows.

I don't know about America, but here in Australia, it is exactly how masta said. The spectrum is such were one has to wait for someone to go out of business and then apply. When the frequency is available, it is auctioned off - usually from tens of thousands of dollars upwards to several millions. In my case, I'll be long gone to my death bed - if this ever happens - plus not to mention that the commercial networks have got together with the government, and created this nice bit of legislation - a moratorium on new FM licenses until 2016 - simply to block out any new competition.

Though I was initially going for a full commercial broadcast license, I also looked at going HPON (high power open narrowband), and if those two failed, looking into going high power digital. All three were no go, because despite my lengthy submission to the government and relevant broadcast authorities in Australia, I didn't even get a peep, a phone call, little lone an e-mail - These broadcast authorities are so up them selves. Even after extensively detailing the proven need and justification for my radio station.

This is considering the amount of people I had on my petition, community events we attended - to make people aware of our station, and demonstrating the long term operations and dedication of my station (not just being another over night joe). ACMA just didn't have a care in the world for what we were doing, or what we were wanting to communicate.

In Australia, you basically have to have either the right friends who have the money, or friends who are hog snoggin with the politicians to get any where down here. The only people in Australia with radio licenses are all the huge multi million dollar radio networks, or community radio stations, where the station owner has been lucky enough to get literally tens of thousands of people interested in signing and part of the lobbying process.

Sorry to sound so bleak, but getting an FM license is definitely no cakewalk - I wish you luck. :)

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 2:27 am 
New User
New User

It is very illegal to broadcast FM or AM unless you use a small part 15 transmitter that only reaches about 100 ft or so. The FCC monitors all AM and FM channels very closely. You can be raided by the FCC, all your equipment will confiscated and possible $10 K fine for operating a transmitter without a license. Jail time isn't out of the picture either for multiple violations. You can apply for a LPFM license that will cover about 10 to 15 miles (100 watts). It is very expensive! The last application window closed in November. It was open for only two weeks after 13 years. There may be a very slight possibility of getting a CP (construction permit) even now. It wouldn't hurt to check. You can check with consultants about that - http://nexusbroadcast.com/. You can get a little insight via Facebook - LPFM group. You can low ball the setup for about 8 K. My budget is 20 K. You must be incorporated in your state as a non-profit organization. The FCC has very stringent rules that all LPFMs must follow including public files that must be available 8 hours per weekday and NO commercials can be aired for any for-profit business. I got my CP in January and have 18 months to be on the air. My biggest problem right now is finding reasonable tower space rental in our area due to the restrictive zoning laws which gives the current tower owners a monopoly. Another site is http://prometheusradio.org. You can check with someone near you that has a CP to see if you can work with them. A good site to find where the LPFM CPs have been granted is https://www.scmsinc.com/resources/engin ... gle-earth/ (Click on "click here). LPFM CP or license can't be sold for 3 years and then only for the equipment cost minus deprecation to another non-profit.