Any experience with these two providers:
http://www.adswizz.com
http://www.streamlicensing.com/

Post subject: Re: ads/licensing
PostPosted: February 8th, 2014, 3:17 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Stream licensing is great! I use it.

If you're in the US it is my understanding that this is now, since the announcement by LoudCity, you're only option for blanket licensing unless you go directly with ASACP, BMI, SEASAC, and Sound Exchange.

Post subject: ads/licensing
PostPosted: February 9th, 2014, 5:02 am 
Super User
Super User

Does streamlicensing just do the same thing as soundexchange, except tack on a service charge?

PostPosted: February 9th, 2014, 11:54 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dj001 wrote:
Does streamlicensing just do the same thing as soundexchange, except tack on a service charge?
StreamLicensing is a blanket broadcaster aggregator for royalty collection to BMI, SESAC, SoundExhange, SOCAN and ASCAP whether you need to report to all those agencies or not. Their agreement with SoundExchange also covers commercials in streams.

This differs from what LoudCity offered, they did not cover SOCAN or SoundExhange commercial option.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2014, 5:22 am 
Super User
Super User

DJ Cassio wrote:
StreamLicensing is a blanket broadcaster aggregator for royalty collection to BMI, SESAC, SoundExhange, SOCAN and ASCAP
I always thought SoundExchange was a blanket broadcaster aggregator that collected for BMI, ASCAP, etc.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2014, 8:39 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I already pay royalties to ASCAP, BMI, and/or SESAC. Why do I have to pay SoundExchange, too?

Every musical recording embodies two distinct copyrighted works. The first is the underlying musical composition, comprised of the written notes and lyrics (a “musical work”). The songwriter and/or his or her music publisher usually own the copyright in the musical work. The second copyrighted work is the actual recording itself – the sounds, including the recording artist’s interpretation of the musical composition, and the creative efforts of the producer, sound engineers and background musicians (a “sound recording”). A copyright holder, whether a label or an independent musician, owns the copyright or “master” to the sound recording. SoundExchange collects and distributes royalties associated with the sound recordings made by services operating under one of the statutory licenses. By contrast, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC collect and distribute royalties associated with the public performance of musical works. A digital audio transmission of a musical recording will usually require a license for both the sound recording and the underlying musical work.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 7:43 am 
Super User
Super User

DJ Cassio wrote:
StreamLicensing is a blanket broadcaster aggregator for royalty collection to BMI, SESAC, SoundExhange, SOCAN and ASCAP whether you need to report to all those agencies or not. Their agreement with SoundExchange also covers commercials in streams.

This differs from what LoudCity offered, they did not cover SOCAN or SoundExhange commercial option.
I visited their website and was a little confused. Do they require you to shut down your links with tunein, Windows Media, etc.?

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 7:55 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

dj001 wrote:
...Do they require you to shut down your links with tunein, Windows Media, etc.?

No. At this time you can list in iTunes, TuneIn, Windows Media Guide, Shoutcast, AudioRealm etc.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 9:55 am 
Super User
Super User

They get wired right into your streamhost, so they can monitor TLH 24/7. So, why do they demand to host a player page? Seems redundant.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 11:01 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

BMI rules. Licensing is more than just payments. There's the DMCA and all the PROs have their "interesting" policies.

The PROs set the rules and places like StreamLicensing have to follow them. Keep in mind that ATH is only one factor in royalty calculations. There's revenue, expenses, tune-ins, launching domain, web page impressions.... those all matter to at least one or more of the PROs when calculating fees

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 11:09 am 
Super User
Super User

Streamlicensing tells prospective customers they monitor TLH and you report revenue & expenses, that's all you pay for. They assure you no other added charges from tune-ins, page impressions, etc.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 11:48 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

dj001 wrote:
Streamlicensing tells prospective customers they monitor TLH and you report revenue & expenses, that's all you pay for. They assure you no other added charges from tune-ins, page impressions, etc.

That is correct. I didn't say you would be charged for them, just that those things matter to the PROs

:)

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 12:25 pm 
Super User
Super User

OK, but it only gets them webcaster website stats. They do see streamhost TLH, but since a large portion of listeners derive from 3d-party webradio networks, they miss all that data other than just the raw total TLH.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 2:01 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Do they display ads on their launch pages that you need to use?

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: February 12th, 2014, 5:25 pm 
Super User
Super User

There are about 50 pages of bewildering tutorials, but on the phone they say it's an easy process. I see ads on webpages you link to from their directory, but you can opt out of the directory. They said I could keep my menu bar, so my website might stay the same. It's really unclear.