Skip to Content
It is currently December 6th, 2019, 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sam Encoders for Winamp
PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 1:30 pm 
New User
New User

Hello

I support many blind people within the field of internet broadcasting. This includes creating script files (programming) for screen-readers which output the content of the screen to synthetic speech or Braille.

Many people used to use a tool created by Spacial called the Sam Encoders for Winamp. Unfortunately, these are no longer sold by Spacial, but they were excellent in terms of quality and highly accessible to the blind.

The current Sam products from Spacial, with the exception of Sam Vibe, are far from being accessible to screen-reading software. I've written to Spacial about this issue, but the reply seemed to indicate that the older accessible product was no longer supportable. However in the unlikely event of an accessible product being available soon, this is all we have.

Questions.
1. Could Spacial sell this older product in the short-term to those for whom their current products are not accessible?
2. If not, could the older demonstration product be made available on the Spacial website? This gave 4 hours of unlimited use.

In order to fulfil its obligations to disabled people, I do feel that Spacial ought to provide a mechanism to meet this need. People are willing to pay for the product, however of course it must be accessible. The older product really was.

In the event that the answer to the above two questions is no, is accessibility to the current range of products on the development roadmap?

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 2:46 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

You should really talk to Spacial Support or the Sales department about this.
The Winamp encoders are discontinued and since the future of Winamp is currently in a very vague state and on top of that is also now owned by a company that directly competes with Spacial I doubt that the plugins would come back.

SAM Vibe was built especially to cater the blind and visually impaired (not sure if that is the right term, I'm not a native english speaker) community.
It supports external relays as well now and will in the short-term future support Live broadcasting from external sources as well. (That feature is already announced, but not yet available as far as I know).
So once that feature is available to every SAM Vibe user, this is really the best way to replace your legacy software.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 2:53 pm 
New User
New User

Thank you for that, I will certainly keep an eye on Sam Vibe and see what progress there is.