Skip to Content
It is currently November 19th, 2018, 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 7:28 am 
Super User
Super User

I got a new laptop with a High DPI display. Winamp's UI displays font size of about 1pt. So tiny an ant couldn't read it. Various discussion board workarounds are for IT experts only. Windows 10 also classifies the entire Winamp discussion board as malware, and won't let me access it (I'm using my old laptop to post this).

I'm giving up on Winamp. What's the next best alternative that has actual readable fonts in a High DPI display, and will run MP3, WAV, PLS, etc?

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 8:41 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dj001 wrote:
Windows 10 also classifies the entire Winamp discussion board as malware, and won't let me access it (I'm using my old laptop to post this).

Windows 10 or IE or Edge or could this be your AV (I guess this is called Internet Security suites where they listen in on all your web traffic and sometimes inject own stuff)

If IE/Edge are the problem, just use a real browser. Firefox - or if you're fine with handing all your personal data to Google - Chrome might be worth a try.
If your AV is the problem, switch to something less intrusive like the one included with Windows and use an Adblocker in your browser instead.

dj001 wrote:
I'm giving up on Winamp. What's the next best alternative that has actual readable fonts in a High DPI display, and will run MP3, WAV, PLS, etc?

The new Media Player App of Windows 8+ should be able to handle all of these requirements.

SMPlayer also has a HiDPI mode.

I guess iTunes should scale properly as well. After all Apple was pretty much the first company to include HiDPI in mainstream computers.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: December 21st, 2017, 3:23 pm 
Super User
Super User

forgot to mention, my PLS has a PHP that drives rotating preroll station IDs. This does not function in iTunes or Windows Media Player.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 9:46 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dj001 wrote:
forgot to mention, my PLS has a PHP that drives rotating preroll station IDs. This does not function in iTunes or Windows Media Player.

Is the PLS itself generated by a PHP script or is one of the items in the PLS file generated by a PHP script?
For the later case, you can try to append #.mp3 or whatever your format is supposed to be, to trick the media player in question to treat .php files as media objects.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 6:26 am 
Super User
Super User

myscript.php#.mp3 ?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 10:30 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Yep.
The # segment of a URL isn't passed to the server, but is merely a feature for web browsers to scroll to a certain part of the page.
Thus it can be used to trick stupid players into playing a URL without extension where they expect one.

My Project: