Skip to Content
It is currently December 10th, 2018, 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 9:32 am 
New User
New User

I'm in the beginning process of engineering an internet station (basically rebuilding from scratch) for a client and they have RCS NextGen for the automation on one PC (has serial port) and SamCast for streaming on a second PC (no serial port) both on the same network.

i am having difficulty getting the two to talk to each other to send metadata in the stream.

anyone have experience here?

i am thinking it needs some sort of script file on samcast for TCP (Scripted) to grab the metadata from nextgen. they have nextgen 2.13 (i think) running on xp and samcast running on win10.

i have asked this question in several venues and no one seems to have come up with an answer. i'm hoping one of the many experts here might have already dealt with this scenario and have a solution available. i'd like step by step instructions if possible. i have figured out the basics in the nextgen and samcast menus so i know my way around the interfaces i just can't get the metadata to work.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 5:10 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

My knowledge of NexGen is very limited. (I know it's called NexGen without the T letter and it's a pricey solution widely popular in US OTA Radio stations)
Information about it on the internet is scarce as people usually pay RCS for support and don't rely on a community of volunteers.

This is the only info I could find on the Export feature:
https://mediarealm.com.au/articles/expo ... cs-nexgen/

I'm not sure about the options available here as I've seen screenshots of different versions of NexGen apparently.
You should configure the export to send TCP-IP in whatever format you like. XML seems to be a reasonable choice as you can adapt one of the example scripts shipping with SAM Cast to process the more detailed NexGen output that way. (It won't work out of the box as the NexGen Output definitely is more verbose than what the example script expects)

In SAM Cast you need the TCP Event Adaptor and a custom script to extract the parts of the XML you need for metadata. There is an example XML parser included, but that one expects a very simple XML format and will most likely fail to understand the more complex and verbose XML document sent by NexGen. (vb.xml_parser.txt)

Make sure to set up port forwarding if the NexGen and SAM Cast machines are not on the same network and at least allow the port specified in SAM Cast for incoming connections on a possibly activated personal firewall (windows firewall is most likely present if you didn't install one alongside your antivirus)

If you need help with building the parser script, feel free to ask questions here.
To get the parser script made for you without you having to do the programming yourself, please send me a message and we can agree on a price. (Depends on how much info I get, if I should do a remote session and set things up for you, how complex the NexGen XML structure is and how much/what info you want to extract from there.)

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode