Skip to Content
It is currently November 20th, 2019, 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 17th, 2016, 5:26 pm 
New User
New User

Okay gang, let me first say that I am NOT a web developer, and most of the technical stuff here throws me into next week mentally, so please feel free to explain this like you're working with a 5 year old. (It took me a couple days just to write my station webpages!)

So here's the deal - I'm looking to get the "Now Playing" info on my station webpage. It looks like all of the information here deals with SAM Broadcaster, but I haven't seen anything when SAM DJ is the system used to play the songs.

So here's my setup -

SAM DJ is playing the songs.
SAM Cast is broadcasting to my Shoutcast server host (Listen2MyRadio). This host has provided me with my FTP site where I upload all of my html.

I can't see anywhere in SAM DJ where the song data is sent to a file that could then be read by SAM Cast and sent to the hosting site where my webpages reside.

So I'm pretty much completely lost here.

Any help would be terrific...but at a glance it looks like the only solution is to totally scrap my setup and switch to SAM Broadcaster, as it appears to be an all-in-one solution that combines SAM DJ and SAM Cast, correct???

Thanks in advance,
-KC

PostPosted: January 18th, 2016, 7:40 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

That is because SAM DJ is not meant to be the playout system for a radio station.
SAM DJ is better explained by it's old name (SAM Party DJ). It's a system for doing the musical arrangements for parties, weddings, etc.

SAM DJ has no means of communicating with the outside world.
Now playing info on your website should be easy with the millions of widgets/scripts for Shoutcast and Icecast

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: January 18th, 2016, 7:56 pm 
New User
New User

The host service does have one, but it only works if I upload all of the music to the cloud and launch it using their player. And it isn't that great, not to mention the obvious limits on the space available for music storage. Not the best option.

Regardless, it sounds like the only real option is to:
a.) leave it like it is without "Now Playing", or
b.) upgrade to SAM Broadcaster.

Ugh. That's a lot of green to lay out just for a little "Now Playing" info. Sam DJ has been working great, bummed there isn't a patch or workaround to get the MP3 tag info and display it...

At any rate, thanks for the guidance.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2016, 4:45 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Can you choose the database system for SAM DJ or is that limited to the bundled Firebird database?
In theory you should be able to use the PHP templates from SAM Broadcaster minus the request options in SAM DJ as well.
In practice, this isn't easy. Firebird database support on commercial webhosts is basically non-existent. Also the bundled Firebird install that comes with SAM DJ (and SAM Broadcaster, but there you can opt to use MySQL etc) is hardly configurable. And you would absolutely need external access to the Firebird database for the PHP templates to work.

SAM DJ and SAM Cast have no way of using the HTML templates of SAM Broadcaster as these templates are filled out by the SAM Broadcaster software itself.

SAM Cast has scripting capabilities using VBScript. You could build your very own template system or minimalistic Now Playing webpage using that scripting language.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode