Skip to Content
It is currently September 24th, 2018, 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 8:29 am 
New User
New User

Hello, I am inquiring on behalf of a smaller scaled college radio that bought SAM Broadcaster PRO back in 2012 and have not gotten any updates or upgrades since then. We have managed to use the same software on the same machine since the beginning, but now we are looking to update SAM to the most current version and also upgrade computers from a Windows 7 to Windows 10. We have not started the purchasing process for a new subscription yet because we have not been able to get the answers to two big questions from Spacial. So if anyone would be able to share their experience or point us to any documentation on how:
1. Is there a way to keep the current settings like EQ, timings, playlists, etc, from SAM 4.9.8 to a current version of SAM. This will aid in getting up and running quickly and know if it is right to stick with SAM

2. Going from one machine to another, with two different operating systems. I understand that SAM 4.9.8 does not support Windows 10. I do not know if running SAM under compatibility mode for Windows 7 would work or not? This could also be complexed by trying to get settings across. I do think the site, http://support.spacialaudio.com/wiki/Mo ... w_computer , is quite vague and have not been able to get a response from Spacial specifically on this matter.

Thank you for any insights on this matter!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 7:11 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Curious Fellow wrote:
1. Is there a way to keep the current settings like EQ, timings, playlists, etc, from SAM 4.9.8 to a current version of SAM. This will aid in getting up and running quickly and know if it is right to stick with SAM

All of the internal settings are stored in 2 XML files in the Data/User directory of SAM. SAMBC.core.xml and SAMBC.gui.xml
All of the library stuff (structure and contents) is stored in the database.

Curious Fellow wrote:
2. Going from one machine to another, with two different operating systems. I understand that SAM 4.9.8 does not support Windows 10. I do not know if running SAM under compatibility mode for Windows 7 would work or not? This could also be complexed by trying to get settings across. I do think the site, http://support.spacialaudio.com/wiki/Mo ... w_computer , is quite vague and have not been able to get a response from Spacial specifically on this matter.

4.9.8 is not suported on Windows 10. It might work in compatibility mode, but you're on your own with that. Spacial doesn't provide any support (except for activation support) for outdated versions of SAM anymore and on the forum we're very reluctant to provide support for people claiming to run 4.x versions as well. Especially when it comes to crazy experiments like running in compatibility mode.

Moving from one system to another and upgrading SAM while retaining the data should be pretty simple.
  1. Backup your files (music, pictures etc)
  2. Backup your database (I strongly suggest performing an actual MySQL backup and not rely on the internal backup function of SAM. That one uses functionality in MySQL which was never meant for backups in the first place)
  3. Backup your SAM config files
  4. Go to new computer/new OS and restore files in the very same directory structure (otherwise the backup won't work and you would need to adjust the backup first)
  5. On new computer/new OS install MySQL (preferrably with the same credentials as the old one, but that is optional and can be changed later on)
  6. Install SAM with default settings
  7. Stop SAM
  8. restore the old config files
  9. restore the old database
  10. restart SAM (if your license key and/or database credentials changed, you might need to run the reconfigure shortcut and reenter those details)
That should cover all the steps on a mid to high level.

If you need more help, feel free to ask specific questions. I'm sure there are enough people here that will gladly help.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 9:00 am 
New User
New User

Thank you for your response, your reply is leaps and bounds more on point versus the over 20 emails back and forth I have had with Spacial Support.

Regarding topic 1:
Would there be any issues that could come up from using the library files from the 4.9.8 version to the new version? I would hope that the program would have the settings pretty standard, but this is the biggest hurdle for us as we would want to be up and running as soon as possible once we get the new license. We would rather not set up again when to play the station ID and such again.

Reguarding Topic 2:
I go the new machine up and running and tried my luck. v4.9.8 decides to pop up for a second and then close never to go further. No compatibility mode trick I got has worked yet. I will next try and see if it is due to MySQL not being installed on the machine manually, but that just means potentially more problems. I will update when I am able to thoroughly give it all I got or punch a hole in the wall.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2018, 9:32 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Curious Fellow wrote:
Would there be any issues that could come up from using the library files from the 4.9.8 version to the new version? I would hope that the program would have the settings pretty standard, but this is the biggest hurdle for us as we would want to be up and running as soon as possible once we get the new license. We would rather not set up again when to play the station ID and such again.

The database structure hasn't changed at all since 4.7.4 as far as I know. The changelog for SAM Broadcaster mentions one more change in 2017.6, but I think that was actually only changing the Firebird structure to look more like the one of MySQL.

The database contains: Events (the right half of the event window where you define what the Event should do), Event Times (when to execute which event), Categories, Tracks and the assignment of tracks to categories.

What's not in the database: All the stuff from the config Window, Encoders, PAL Scripts, Statistics Relays, AGC, EQ, DSP Plugins, Input/Output routing, VoiceFX/Mic config and last but not least the arrangement of "SAM Windows" inside the User Interface.
All of that is stored in the two XML config files SAMBC.core.xml and SAMBC.gui.xml

The database will definitely be compatible between 4.9.8 and at least 2018.5 as far as I know.
Again: I strongly suggest creating and restoring backups using built-in tools of MySQL (i.e. either mysqldump commandline tool or using the Workbench Graphical tool that comes with the default MySQL bundle installer for Windows). The built-in one isn't made for this and usually has problems with the default MySQL security settings which prevent the MySQL daemon from writing files to the harddisk itself.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: July 13th, 2018, 8:34 am 
New User
New User

Would it be possible to get the trial of 2018.5 from downloads and attempt to apply the files to the new SAM Broadcaster PRO? I do not know if the trial version would squawk at modifying those files, but it would enable me to test if the database and settings could be applied to the new version. Let me know if you think this would work, otherwise if I am still shooting in the dark.

Lastly, I will admit I am not the most adept at MySQL as far as backup and restoring. If you had any additional resources on this that would be very helpful, otherwise I will be doing research on this myself.

Thanks

PostPosted: July 14th, 2018, 6:58 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Unfortunately Spacial does not offer a trial or even allow you pay "over time" as in the past. Be aware, once you get a new license (2018.X), you cannot go back and use your old license (4.9.8).

PostPosted: July 14th, 2018, 11:00 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

DJ Cassio wrote:
Unfortunately Spacial does not offer a trial

Where did you get that info?
Last tried this on the 2018.3 version and there you could still simply install it without entering a serial number and it would work for some time. (I think it's 30 days, but I can't guarantee that from the top of my head. Also note that this only works if it's a first time install on that Windows. If you ever ran a trial for SAM on that system before, you can not start over by installing a newer version of the software)

DJ Cassio wrote:
or even allow you pay "over time" as in the past

Are you referring to the payment plan option? That's still available: 299 USD one time payment or 3 x 110 USD over 3 months.
https://store.spacial.com/545/purl-buys ... yment-plan

My Project:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 11:41 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

hmm, not sure but if that is true that's great about the 30day trial, I know there have been posts about no payment plan in the past maybe that has changed. justmathew posted this a few years ago viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50338&p=211750&hilit=payment+plan#p211742

PostPosted: August 1st, 2018, 12:02 pm 
New User
New User

Alright, we decided to just go for it and see what happens. We will be purchasing a new license soon (need to get a new link from support). I will be trying the library copying for sure, i am just unsure about the SQL backup. The operator of the station has no idea about SQL being used so we will see what happens.

Let me know right away if it is the case where the SAM Broadcaster PRO 4.9.8 will cease operation once a new license is purchased. I hope that it could remain active enough until we can get the new machine with new SAM up and running. If anyone has experience in this let me know.

I hope this turns out alright, worst comes to worse; the radio station students will have their work cut out for them getting ready for this school year.

Thanks for all that have responded, and I will update when the next steps happen.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 8:34 am 
New User
New User

After getting the new SAM Broadcaster PRO installed, I discovered that the legacy system is running Firebird as the database manager. I am researching on the backup and restoration process and it looks like it may be possible (https://www.firebirdsql.org/pdfmanual/h ... ckups.html), but I am still worried on how the differences in versions will affect it.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2018, 11:42 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Not sure if those tools will work with the embedded version of the database.
SAM uses the embedded version because that is pretty much self-contained in a single file and the SAM backups for Firebird actually consist only of copying the database file.

My Project: