Skip to Content
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 4:18 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

I was with Vonage in the early days, and they were okay. But when I moved from Colorado to Florida, for some reason, my broadband in FL didn't care for it... even though it was the same carrier (COMCAST) that I had in Denver. I went thru literally 6 phone boxes from Vonage trying to solve it.
Ended up switching to PACKET8 (8x8) in 2004, and haven't had a single problem since. I think I've called support maybe 2 times when I had a question about a setting, but otherwise they've been brilliant for my needs. I know there are some that really knock them, but so far in 5 years, I've not had a single problem.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 4:39 pm 
New User
New User

You have to have the Magic Jack dongle plugged in still, but you dont have to plug a phone into it. They download the software onto your pc. Its very legit. You are able to use a mic and headphones/speakers to make and take calls. Again, its legal to do this, they will tell you so as well.
On their site it give you the directions to make a conference room.
I used to use Lingo, not bad service, I was one of their first customers. I chose it over Vonage, for price and features. But, for a request/talk line for radio station MJ is perfect and so is the price.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 6:27 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

We actually use MagicJack with our Gentner system. Works great.

The only drawback to MJ is the constant beeps on-air when someone else is calling in. There's no way to turn off Call Waiting and there's no hunt capability. Otherwise, it is cost effective for low-budget stations like most of us run.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2009, 8:29 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Interesting indeed. I am surprised there is NO way to turn off call waiting. You would think that'd be in a configuration somewhere. Is this a feature that is commonly requested? I have VOIP for my home phone, as well as work, but I am really considering MagicJack for the station now since you all have such high regard for it. :)

Proud SAM Broadcaster user and beta tester since 1999!

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 10:48 pm 
New User
New User

I've actually had a magic jack for a while (using it as a actual internet phone to call overseas etc.), i never even thought about using it for On-Air call-ins but after reading this post i decided to give it a go. IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY! As long as you have the little box plugged in, you can change settings. I happen to have a Alesis Firewire mixer, so i use that as the microphone soundcard (get to talk directly into your own mic), then i have the callers voice coming out through my Mbox 2 Pro (and external/additional soundcard would work) and then i route that back to the mixer through a bus. Works perfectly and i have no need to use additional computers. Its an awesome alternative to hardwire phones and you can easily get vanity numbers!

Erik Zachary
DJ EZSMOOTH
www.k103dj.com

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 8:26 am 
Alumni
Alumni

As a call out line it's fine. We're not fond of it for TAKING calls as we've found no way to turn off call waiting. It beeps on-air and goes to voice mail after a few rings.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 4:44 pm 
New User
New User

Where I can Buy this?:

I search on eBay: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Stereo ... &_osacat=0
But the cable not appear on list.

Please help me! I have a Behringer Mixer and I want to connect my telephone to the mixer. I have the RCA cables, I only need the adapter to the telephone to connect this.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my english! I speak Spanish!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 5:35 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Check with your local electronics store.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 10:33 pm 
New User
New User

WDA1 wrote:
Check with your local electronics store.

I cant find it

Thanks

PostPosted: December 29th, 2009, 10:03 am 
New User
New User

I have plans to do a 12 hour request show to see in the new year, as part of those plans, I need to link a phone in.

The problem is that I want the station audio to route back to the caller live, so that I can play samples of tunes for them to pick. For example, playing them track 1 and asking if they want it, if not, I play a sample of track 2, and so on until I either hit 5 tracks or they pick one.

So I have my planning head on as I don't have all my equipment hooked up yet, and so far the problem I have hit is that no matter which way I think about it, the caller's audio will go back to the caller, creating a feedback loop.

So about the setup, I have skype with 3 numbers, one for the UK, the US and NZ. I could use USB audio cards to output the caller audio on the same PC, and then route the mixer audio both to the broadcast and skype, but as I said above, the caller audio feeds back.

I then thought about a hardware landline, the problem there, is getting level audio back down the line isn't very easy and even then, the caller audio would still feed back.

I then thought about using my mobile/cell phone, which has skype onboard, the problem there, it only handles audio out, unless I make my own cable.

Reading other posts above I can see that most of you guys just want to get callers on air, and are not that bothered about getting the studio audio back down the line. Plus solutions above would then require me to have the music playing from the studio speakers, again possible, and I could route just the music to the speakers without the mic or caller feeding back, BUT it wouldn't sound all that good and there is the potential for the music to be picked up by the microphone creating a few miliseconds of echo.

The solution....... Well I don't know yet, but I will post back as I get some of the equipment up and running.

.::EDIT::.

Solution 1 - (nearly got it)
I just had a quick look around the equipment I have and it seems I have a potential solution. The solution involves an additional mixer on the broadcast link, so the air out on the mixer links to a secondary mixer that adds the caller to the feed, then the cue out on that seconday mixer gets put back down the call. That way the caller is heard on air and the caller hears the station but not themself. It works, but still has a few little issues, the air out from the main mixer is fed through an EQ unit before hitting the broadcast PC, the entire air feed is not routed to the studio headphones or speakers. The headphone and speaker feed comes from a seperate audio out on the mixer (booth out). The problem there is the caller is broadcast, but the DJ and their guest cannot hear them.

So the problem now is the studio feed, do I a- add the studio feed onto the air output or b- try to add in the audio from the second mixer into the studio feed.

.::END-EDIT::.

Last edited by ProProductions on December 29th, 2009, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2009, 10:23 am 
Alumni
Alumni

In my experience the ONLY solution to getting audio down a phone line without crosstalk or feedback is a decent hybrid with mix-minus. VOIP audio is a slightly different kettle of fish but putting it through a mixer indeed presents the same challenge.

I look forward to reading your solution.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

i have the mj install...and i can hear the caller and vise versa but the callers voice is not hear thru the internet. anyone know why?

PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 12:37 am 
New User
New User

Hi Carl, thank you for creating this tutorial but I do have some questions or if anybody can help me where do you connect the cable that goes into the mixer? With all the cables in the pic it's hard to see where the cable goes if anybody can help me I would really appreciate it

PostPosted: March 27th, 2010, 6:46 pm 
New User
New User

pcphonesoft has a program that opens up alot of features in the magic jack including turning off call waiting.

Elevatorboy wrote:
We actually use MagicJack with our Gentner system. Works great.

The only drawback to MJ is the constant beeps on-air when someone else is calling in. There's no way to turn off Call Waiting and there's no hunt capability. Otherwise, it is cost effective for low-budget stations like most of us run.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2010, 7:58 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Thanks for that info. I'll look into it.

Raritan Bay Radio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next