Skip to Content
It is currently June 20th, 2018, 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 10th, 2008, 10:23 pm 
New User
New User

since you can't search using the number 2, I couldn't find the answer.. couple questions..

1. With one paid registration key, I understand I can install SAM Broadcaster on two computers, can I run both at the same time?? Or is it only for backup reasons?

2. With one paid registration key, I can run 2 instances of Sam right, just install it in another folder... is that correct? Would I just use the same registration key for both?

....just trying to run 2 stations

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 12:24 am 
Alumni
Alumni

I believe the intention was to have the second instance be a backup, not a second station. I don't work for SA so won't speculate on what they had in mind.

When I was running two stations, I held (and still hold) two licenses. It just seemed the right thing to do.

But that's just me.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 6:02 am 
Junior User
Junior User

I’d like to add a question, if I may, just in case an »official« jumps in on this thread:

Using a »full« license (not a DJ Seat), would it be within the license terms to …
  1. … simultaneously broadcast the same program to two (or more) different stations? (In case a »live show« or »night programme« gets re-broadcast by more than one station. One SAM instance running, multiple encoders.)
  2. … use the two »instances« of SAM to broadcast to two channels (different program, like »Pop« and »Soul«) to the same station? (In case of, say, having to fill the night with radio automation for both channels. Same server, same station, different stream. Two SAM instances running.)
(2) would be nice, since German broadcasting licenses (GVL part) just got a little more sensible regarding stations with more than one channel.

If (2) is not allowed, would there be a substantial rebate on a second full license for the same station? (Since it can be expected that one backup SAM would usually be sufficient for two active SAMs, in such a setup.)

Thanks for clarifying!

(I’m not perfectly happy with the (de-)registration in case of crashes, but I do very well understand the reasons. Kudos for thinking about the backup unit and allowing for that in the licensing—always good to see some professionalism!)

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 2:58 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Here's my thoughts on your questions:

(1) If you want to simultaniously broadcast the SAME program on two or more stations, I'd broadcast to ONE using your SAM, and the 2nd (or more stations,) can simply relay from the original. Or you can use ONE Sam install using multiple encoders sending each off to a different station carrying the program.

(2) Generally a server can only broadcast ONE stream at a time, at least in the case of SHOUTcast servers and Windows Media servers, so I really don't see how you plan on broadcasting more than one program on one station at a time.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 5:08 pm 
New User
New User

it's for 2 different stations.... using 2 different streams on one computer was the question. All I want to know is if I am allowed to do it cause it's very simple.
AGAIN - 2 DIFFERENT STREAMS (RADIO STATIONS) using ONE COMPUTER with 2 installations of SAM in different folders.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 5:23 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

If it's for two different streams or stations, then I'd suggest you use two different FULL LICENSED copies of SAM... not just one regular license and one DJ license. The DJ licence is meant for remote DJs on an original SAM licensed station.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 6:24 pm 
New User
New User

So your saying I'm not allowed to do that? I never said anything about a D.J. lic, SAM BROADCASTER ONLY

PostPosted: October 11th, 2008, 7:13 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

1 station using 1 SAM requires 1 license, regardless of the number of underlying computers.
So, for 2 stations using 2 SAMs would require 2 licenses.

For further information regarding multiple licenses please open a pre-sales support ticket.