Skip to Content
It is currently August 17th, 2018, 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sam 4.3.4 not responding
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 12:10 am 
Senior User
Senior User

ok i have searched the forums and nothing matches what I have going on here.
sam 4.3.4 mysql 5.0 and one huge (probably to huge ?) PAL script.
windows xp home service pk 3 pentium 4 2.80 GHz 512 ram

I did a clean install from sam2 to sam4 : removed sam, stoped and removed the database, removed all files and folders, cleaned and defraged the HD before the install.

sam runs great auto recovery and everything >> until .. it becomes non-responsive.
normaly after a long 6- 8 hour run. :?: I have to reboot the computer to get sam back and responding.
I have adjusted the playlist rotation rules several times( as low as I dare go now).
I had removed all of Festers, 2 fer scripts that I had set to run ; one for saturday, one for sunday , and one for tuesday ( 3 PAL scripts total) and left only one script running : a very long PAL that rotates different radio plugs from different folders , however i am not convinced it is the pal scripts causing this. This almost looks like its still playlist rotation rules, but I get no messages of any kind about sam not being able to queue a song.

:?: what is my next move, or what should I be looking for ?

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 3:07 am 
Alumni
Alumni

For starters, I'd upgrade to the latest version of SAM, 4.3.6. It's available to all SAM customers by logging into the CLIENTS area, which can be found by clicking CLIENTS in the upper right corner of this page.

There have been some bug fixes from early versions that could clear this up.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 7:50 am 
Junior User
Junior User

This may not be the reason, but since memory is cheap nowadays, I’d recommend also getting 2 GB RAM and switching off Windows’ page file. Performance booooooost!

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 10:06 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Moonbase wrote:
This may not be the reason, but since memory is cheap nowadays, I’d recommend also getting 2 GB RAM and switching off Windows’ page file. Performance booooooost!

ok I am not by any means a computer guru, and the last time i asked about getting a memory upgrade I was told the cost of a new system was cheaper. is this something a musician can do?( a very non computer tech)
I have no clue what this windows page file is, and its significance.
does sam 4 use less memory than sam 2 or more or the same ?
I have just installed 4.3.6 and will try it.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 1:21 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

If you are as »pure« a musician as some of my colleagues here, you might want to carry your 'puter along to a computer shop and invest the extra $10-20 to have them do it—or ask some computer geek you know.

Fortunately, all versions of SAM are well programmed and quite conservative regarding memory use. Only Windows and other programs running might slow things down, especially if your system isn’t one of fastest. With 512 MB of RAM, an XP (or Vista) machine tends to start »swapping« (i.e., relocating »memory« out to disk to make for some room, and thus reducing speed because of the disc accesses). Adding memory usually greatly improves Windows’ performance.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 10:31 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

i have upgraded to sam 4.3.6 and still getting non responsive program.

sam is the only program running on this one system besides anti virus software. I dont even check email or surf the web on this system.

I have been able to run sam 2 on this same system months at a time, for years, without any issues like this, this is why I was reluctant to upgrade, but I no longer can recieve support for sam 2 , and i would like to have my web publisher start using some of the php for my website, so i figured the upgrade needed to happen. :roll:

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 6:04 am 
Super User
Super User

I would really suggest the RAM upgrade as this, believe it or not, fixed all my problems with SAM on my old computer. I had a computer from 2002, running XP with 512MB of RAM, and SAM 4 would not run on it until I upgraded to 2GB. Now it runs smoothly without problems. I'm not sure who told you that a new system would be cheaper, because a 1GB stick of ram is like 30-40 USD.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 9:49 am 
Senior User
Senior User

ok ,I have replaced parts inside this machine before . If I do this myself, what do i need to know before I purchace the memory so that I know I get the correct one, and anything special to replace it? do i just take out the old and plug in the new?
If i take it in to have it done it would either be too costly of a place , or a place that would take 3 days to do this (yes I live in the woods far away from any service shops)