Skip to Content
It is currently July 20th, 2019, 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 6:22 am 
Senior User
Senior User

How all, just downloaded this program, as I'm not really a great fan of iTunes. I have found this an excellent program for mixing the music in my personal music library. What is so great about the program is that it actually mix-fades just like a radio station. This program seems to be the only one out there, as I've tried simian, Jazer, and Radioboss. They are either to complicated, or don't mix as well as SAM.

However I got somewhat annoyed with the way it repeats songs, considering I have 24 days of music on my hardrive. After doing some research, I found that by the DMCA law, it is illegal for a radio station to just "randomly" play songs, hense SAM being programmed a certain way. I looked into the playlist config, and tried out the Clockwheel, Playlist weighted and web script options, but to no success.

I saw that when I press configure, beside the clockwheel option, they seemed to be two lines of script text. Seeing that I'm only going to use the program within my home, rather then a radio station, is there any work-around to make it play randomly??

I'm using Windows XP, on a medion 83XL computer with one sound-card, I'm using SAM version 4.3. I have simply gone into "tracks in selected category", opened my "digital Jukebox" folder, which contains 15,000 wav files, and then just let SAM play those tracks.

Does the Digital Millenium Communication Act also tell me what music I can and cannot play in the living area of my house? lol. So in the end, I'm asking please is their any way of making SAM work randomly through all 15,000 tracks before it repeats any of them again?

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 7:26 am 
Alumni
Alumni

The DMCA time limits apply to streaming. You can set a SAM "jukebox" to play songs in your legitimate digital library any way you like at home.

Make a one-line clockwheel that plays songs using LemmingLogic which picks a selection method then a song: this will give you a better mix than Random. To ensure that every song gets played you could use LRP: this will play the Least Recently Played Song in a playlist fashion. It will be a repeating loop, however. Keep just one or two songs in the queue.

Make your "track" time setting way big. Try something like 30,000 (20.8 days) and see what happens. Tweak it upward until SAM chokes then back down. You'll get repeats until you hit some magic number of minutes that exactly equals your time vs song relationship, but you'll find a happy medium in there somewhere.

Let us know how it works out.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 9:12 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Thanks for the tips, I've followed your advice, and so far there has been a marked improvement. The eight tracks it has played have all been fresh ones. I've just also discovered when I'm in the playlist rotation rules/clockwheel/configure dialog, I hadn't tried the category settings yet.

Thanks for the fresh approach :) :)

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 9:32 am 
Alumni
Alumni

It's what we do. Keep us informed as to how it works out in the longer run.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 11:38 am 
Senior User
Senior User

SAM was unable to queue a song after twenty tries. This can be caused by incorrect playlist rules or having too few files in your media library. Virtual DJ mode has been set to "Queue mode" so you can fix the problem. Remember to set the Virtual DJ back to Auto DJ mode after you have fixed the problem.

Bugger. Four hours and going strong. It was all going so well.

So.... now what?

Here is my set up.

Do not play same album within 1 minute
Do not play same artist within 120 minutes
Do not play same title within 240 minutes
Do not play same track within 31265 minutes.

Keep "2" songs in the queue

I've just noticed ghost queue has been switched off if that means anything?

Playlist Logic Modules
Clockwheel (category rotation) Logic Module Ver 2.0.0

Adjust weight on events

On play, reduce weight by "0"
On queue, reduce weight by "0"

Rotation Clockwheel format:

Cat['Tracks'].QueueBottom(smLemmingLogic, EnforceRules);

Doesn't matter how many times I try, but I just now keep getting this message. Everything was working so well, now all has come to a holt.

The program played through about 47 tracks, all fresh selections and working beautifully.

Looks like a few more late nights up to 4:00 am :( :(.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 12:02 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Make Title=1. Who cares if a song has the same name? It might not even be the same song: I know at least four different songs titled Love Me Tonight. It's Track you're worried about. Besides, a low Title value opens up the possibility of a cover by another artist which could be interesting.

If you have a plethora of tunes by one Artist, a two-hour limit throws away a whole bunch of songs. Do you mind the same Artist more often than every two hours? I ran a station which was heavy with 101 Strings Orchestra. I made sure they played once an hour vs four-eight for other artists to balance things out.

Those times all work together so it takes some tweaking to get it right, but it sounds like you're a much happier camper.

And I suggest staying in Queue mode. AutoDJ can have a mind of its own in my experience.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 12:43 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Yep, not really fussed at all on the song title bit, nor the artist, just don't want to hear the same song again.

But all in all, all fixed.

I placed it in into cue mode and now have had it going for five hours without any issues.

Thanks again for the help.

Just a hint for those who have discovered that it plays all their newer songs first. This is because SAM Broadcaster picks this up by the time and date stamp of your mp3's or in my case, my wav's.

To fix this problem, download a date stamp changer, and apply the same date and time to all your songs in your jukebox or directory.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 1:06 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

The reason SAM is more likely to pick a newly-entered song is its weight/balance. This is a value that establishes a relationship between how "important" a song is when it comes time to pick the next tune. These can be reset using the Tools menu in SAM.

The database dates used in picking songs are different from the file creation/modification dates in the directory. In essence one has nothing to do with the other. In reality the only thing SAM cares about in this regard is in which directory it can find the particular song. This is why it's important that you don't move things after they're loaded into SAM or, if you do, you make sure it gets reloaded into the database.

SAM actually applies a random "Last Played" date that is earlier than the "Date Added" when it loads a new song. You can see these dates in the Details of Song Info.

That being said, your solution is on the right track. By using the SQL tool for your database you can change all the date_played values of the songs to be the same. I recommend if you're going to play in that particular yard that you set those dates/times well back from when SAM would expect to pick any of those songs otherwise you'll bring it to a screeching halt.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 9:56 am 
Senior User
Senior User

As you were noting, the program worked for a few days, but yep, it keeps playing the newer tracks for a wile, then comes to a holt.

I've gone into "tracks in selected category", were all my tracks are listed. After doing a alt-A to select all, I right click then and open "song info". The pane on the left shows a list of my tracks, but shows only the first 100, and then with this, I can only select one song at a time to edit the info.

On the tip they are several tabs, such as "info" "picture" "Lyrics" "Comments", then "Details", where I have just found, what you were noting the difference between the file date stamp, and SAM's date stamp.

How do I edit the date info to all tracks at once?

Apologies, as I don't quite understand the SQL thing.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 11:32 am 
Junior User
Junior User

I am trying these settings and all seems ok so far apart from one thing. I have an internal hard drive and an external one. SAM seems to play only tracks from my external hard drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 2:04 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Make sure the tracks from your internal drive have been loaded into the database.

Don't confuse SAM category "folders" with hard drive directory "folders". They're not the same thing. If a file is moved on the hard drive once SAM has it in the database, it's like it never existed. Use Tools>Maintenance>Verify songs to clean up the database and remove any songs that are no longer in their original position. You can then reload the your songs into the database.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 7:25 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

This will scan and remove all tracks which no longer exsist on your hard-disc from the music library. Do you wish to continu?

Nothing here on changing SAM's date and time info for each track.

Do I have to change the date and time info for each track individually, or can I do them all at once?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2008, 7:38 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

@xottery
The drive response was in reply to geordiezimmerman. But since you ask, yes, you do want to verify songs periodically.

You cannot change the dates except through direct manipulation of the database. You can do one or all of them using SQL UPDATE commands. This WILL mess with your history and reporting, so you might want to leave well enough alone. Just reset weight/balance periodically and SAM will settle down and mix things up.

If you're not happy with the weighted mix you can run a PAL script that will give you complete control over what plays when.

Raritan Bay Radio