Skip to Content
It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 11:40 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

I'm starting to get the following error message in my Event Log:
"Unable to send data fast enough. Encoding paused until buffer clears.

This last for approx 15 seconds and then it clears and is happening approx every 30 minutes. I'm on a 50mbs cable connection for Internet access and none of my other computers are making any request/downloading, not even web page viewing... Is there a buffer setting that I need to change in SAM or something like that, or is there a possibility that the streaming server is not accepting the data fast enough?

I'm stumped - Help Please!

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 12:04 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

How many encoders do you have going? How fast are you streaming? Are you streaming to an off site host or are you hosting the stream yourself?

I would go to a website such as http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ and test your bandwith and see how fast your upspeed is. Obviously if the speed that you are streaming is faster than the upload speed in this test then you're connection isnt fast enough or your isp is having issues at the moment.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 3:14 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

I'm running just 1 encorder at 128kbs
Upload speed on average is around Upload Speed: 5385 kbps (673.1 KB/sec transfer rate) as reported by one of laptops which uses wireless to connect to the modem,. SAM directly connected to router via ethernet Upload Speed: 5385 kbps (673.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Streaming to off-site Shoutcast Streaming server

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 3:25 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

You shouldnt be having any problems then. Did you do the test anyway just to make sure there wasn't some sort of temporary problem with your service?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 7:20 am 
Alumni
Alumni

This has been covered countless times in here.

SAM is working fine. What it is doing is telling you that somewhere between your encoders and the final streaming audio servers, something is keeping your SAM from getting the data to it's destination in a timely fashion. Even though you got the speeds you reported, they can still vary. This could also be an issue somewhere PAST your system. Your "signal" makes several jumps between your computer and your streaming servers.
THINGS TO DO:
Check your upstream speeds again when this happens.
If you have wi-fi on this connection, make sure it's secure and that no one else in you area is using yours
Verify that no other computers on your internet connection are using the upstream speeds
Check with your streaming server host to verify that they're not having network issues.

This is generally the HARDEST issue to solve because of the amount of places there could be an issue. I dealt with this for over two years with a former ISP. The final solution came when the had to replace a junction box about 3 miles away after a car accident.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 9:57 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

I could more understand this if it were happening sporadically - it is happening consistently at right about 30 minute intervals. The encoder reaches right around 30mb streamed and then conks out. Goes down for about 17 seconds, buffer catches back up and everything runs fine for another close to 30 minutes.. Problem started over the weekend - didn't have this problem the first few days the system was up. I will call the good folks on the streaming end and advise them of them problem as well.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:10 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Double check all your network card drivers on this machine. Check all your network cables.

But SAM is actually not malfunctioning at all. This is what happens when there is something keeping the data from getting to your servers from the encoders. This could be be with your ISP, your server hosts ISP, ANY connection inbetween. Or if something else on your machine is jumping up and hogging the bandwidth for a short burst, that could do it too.

That fact that you say it happens regularly at nearly 30 minute intervals suggests to me a bug or mass emailer virus on your machine, or on another machine you might be sharing this internet connection with. Wouldn't hurt to do a FULL virus and bug scan of EVERY machine that shares this router and internet connection.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:14 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Good idea, I'll run a virus scanner on all my machines. Starts me wondering if my visitors from Denmark and Austria have anything to do with this. Their connection did say they were using Winamp though.. However, I didn't have this problem before their visit.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 10:25 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Pete wrote:
Starts me wondering if my visitors from Denmark and Austria have anything to do with this. Their connection did say they were using Winamp though..

Doubtful they were a problem. (Assuming you mean stream rippers on your server.) There's not much else they can do but "listen" and "record."

If these happenings were very random, I'd say work w/ your ISP. I dealt with this for 2 years w/ an old IPS. They cam out and replaced the modem 4 times, the line between my office and the pole twice, never solved it. But mine were MUCH more random. I could go for a month or two without an issue and the my outgoing speeds would drop to below dial-up level. It would last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours, then mysteriously disappear, so it could never be duplicated when I could actually schedule a tech to the office.

Eventually it took a major accident out by the highway that took out a junction box of theirs... it was replaced the next day, and never had the issue again.

I don't see this as your problem though.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 11:27 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Now wouldn't you believe it, just as I'm starting to pay specific attention to this problem, it seems to be working just fine right now. Encoder has streamed 61mb without an error anywhere. Only thing I've done is slightly changed program a little by inserting a category I call "voices" (10 - 20 second voice only) into the mix.. Was just getting ready to call the streaming server folks, now I've got to wait until it starts acting up again.
Wish I knew what the real solution is/was though..

PostPosted: January 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Usually this message (Unable To Send Data Fast Enough) is caused by some issue between your PC and your Stream Host. It cound be the Stream Host and It could be your PC, but most times is some carrier in-between (Cogent, Saavis, LEVEL 7, etc.).

A good tool to use is WinMTR, which is free. It is like running a ping multiple times, but with all hops listed with the statistics for each one. Look for packet loss on each hop and the ping times.

You can download it here:
http://winmtr.sourceforge.net/winmtr_bin.zip

It may not work with Vista / Windows 7.

- http://www.AlternativeHD.com
- http://www.lahotcountry.com