Skip to Content
It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAM Audio stutters
PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 6:09 am 
Junior User
Junior User

I have been using SAM for a quite a few months now and have tried a few different configurations and made numerous changes to my system to attempt to solve the problem but I am still getting the same result.

When I scroll up and down in the playlists, the audio pops & stutters. The same happens when I shift through the different desktops or put any load on the CPU whilst SAM is running. That includes trolling through my music library, adding music, etc. It specifically will stutter and pop whilst it is cross-fading during a segueway. It is worst when the analogue clock is displayed on the same desktop that is live, so I had to close the clock window. Moving the whole SAM Broadcaster window around the desktop. It still occurs, now even worse since upgrading to SAM 4.9.0 with the time remaining clock being changed and larger characters.

In my attempts to troubleshoot the problem in the past 6 months, I have upgraded my sound card from a cheaper AC97 to an Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1. I have switched from Firebird to MySQL. Changed versions of SAM installation. I have updated and rolled back my video drivers. The same goes with my audio drivers. I have changed the screen resolution to numerous different configurations. I have updated my system BIOS. I have set the buffers up and down on the Air Output settings. Nothing seems to help. I am really frustrated with this problem and have given SAM good reviews and defended it on different forums, but this is one problem that really has me at the end of my tether. :evil:

* Which version of SAM are you using? 4.9.0
* Which database? MySql Version? 5.1 Is your database running as an application or a service? Service
* Which operating system? Window 2008 Standard 32-bit Service pack? SP2
* Are you running everything on one machine or are some components remote? All Local
* Are you running other programs on your SAM machine? Yes but server dedicated to running SAM.
* If a sound quality or configuration issue, what type of sound card? Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1.

I have paid for my copy of SAM and am a fully licensed user.

Any and all help that you could provide would be infinitely appreciated.

Kind regards.

Where it's *ALL* about the music!
Jamming the free world, one person at a time since 1998!
Got Indie?
Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Post subject: Re: SAM Audio stutters
PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 7:28 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

As a test have you tried a no sound card configuration to see if it is in fact a sound card issue? I have run SAM on a Win2003 remote server without a soundcard and SAM sounds just great. I would be interested in knowing if that had any impact.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 6:02 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I am currently running the encoders with a no sound card configuration.

Glad to hear it is working for you. Here it is not.

Got Indie?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 9:16 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

andhow wrote:
I am currently running the encoders with a no sound card configuration.

Glad to hear it is working for you. Here it is not.

I was not saying that mine worked without one. That really was not the point, you indicated you were using a soundcard my mistake in thinking a suggestion of not using one might help.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 10:20 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

What are your system specs?

Processor?
Memory?
Hard drive space, and empty hard drive space?
Is your music on a local hard drive, USB, or network hard drive?
How much other stuff is running at the same time? As in...if you have a CPU and/or memory usage meter, what percentage of each is usually in use?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 2:01 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Let me be a bit more clear. This is behaviour is not happening in the stream on the encoder. SAM encodes without the sound card as I would expect it to. This is coming through the application into the speakers of the server. A studio monitor channel for cueing, auditioning, etc & for headphones for LIVE on air broadcasting.

My server far exceeds the minimum required specifications for SAM Broadcaster. The diskspace is in extreme of specs and more than ample and all data is local to the server.

I am using a dual-core intel CPU and run the expected 35% CPU average usage with ample RAM & VM. There is nothing spiking the CPU, just when you scroll, move the SAM window around, make any changes in SAM, you get this stuttering and crackling into the audio. Much like you do with the line-in mic input until you tweak the buffer settings to resolve these issues as per other forum support issues I have found.

The only other things that are running on this server are the same complmentary applications that one would find running on any dedicated, unmodified, operational single-purpose, stand-alone server.

Got Indie?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 10:30 am 
Alumni
Alumni

OK...

Does anyone else have any experience with the soundcard he's using? Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 2:37 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

:wink: It is not related to the Sound Card. I have put that sound card into the server in my attempt to resolve the issue. It had the exact same symptoms when using a cheap AC97 sound card as it does with the new spec sound card.

Got Indie?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 2:47 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

AC97 is a Realtek soundcard, which, if I remember correctly, doesn't always work consistently with SAM.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 3:55 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

The Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1 sound card that I now have installed is having the exact same issues. I have even tried different PCI slots, a direct bitstream to the card bypassing the mobo and the standard stream through the mobo to the card.

No improvement.

Funny enough. I used to have the exact same problem when I would have two instances of Winamp open and I would try to do a segueway from one player to another, when both instances were running at the same time. Very similar to the issue when SAM is doing a segueway from Deck A to Deck B. I understand that SAM uses the same DSP as Winamp.

Got Indie?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 3:57 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

AC97 is a chipdesign by Intel used by hundreds of soundcard manufacturers over the world, so that's most probably not the reason. (It's especially popular among mainboard manufacturers as they can just put that chip on their boards and provide an audio interface to customers at no development costs)
The Auzen X-Fi on the other hand is based on chipdesign by Creative Technologies (best known for their soundblaster brand)

Do you have any additional DSP plugins installed?
Or maybe some AGC settings that are off-track?
I'm just guessing into the blue, no idea yet where the problem may be based.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 5:10 pm 
New User
New User

andhow wrote:
I have been using SAM for a quite a few months now and have tried a few different configurations and made numerous changes to my system to attempt to solve the problem but I am still getting the same result.

When I scroll up and down in the playlists, the audio pops & stutters. The same happens when I shift through the different desktops or put any load on the CPU whilst SAM is running. That includes trolling through my music library, adding music, etc. It specifically will stutter and pop whilst it is cross-fading during a segueway. It is worst when the analogue clock is displayed on the same desktop that is live, so I had to close the clock window. Moving the whole SAM Broadcaster window around the desktop. It still occurs, now even worse since upgrading to SAM 4.9.0 with the time remaining clock being changed and larger characters.

In my attempts to troubleshoot the problem in the past 6 months, I have upgraded my sound card from a cheaper AC97 to an Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1. I have switched from Firebird to MySQL. Changed versions of SAM installation. I have updated and rolled back my video drivers. The same goes with my audio drivers. I have changed the screen resolution to numerous different configurations. I have updated my system BIOS. I have set the buffers up and down on the Air Output settings. Nothing seems to help. I am really frustrated with this problem and have given SAM good reviews and defended it on different forums, but this is one problem that really has me at the end of my tether. :evil:

* Which version of SAM are you using? 4.9.0
* Which database? MySql Version? 5.1 Is your database running as an application or a service? Service
* Which operating system? Window 2008 Standard 32-bit Service pack? SP2
* Are you running everything on one machine or are some components remote? All Local
* Are you running other programs on your SAM machine? Yes but server dedicated to running SAM.
* If a sound quality or configuration issue, what type of sound card? Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1.

I have paid for my copy of SAM and am a fully licensed user.

Any and all help that you could provide would be infinitely appreciated.

Kind regards.

hello,maybe will help this:
Sam is installed and run on 1 core of your system,if you have a dualcore than do this:
go to the task scheduler,check in the tab processes SamBC.exe and click with your right mousebutton on it,check to see this:
Affinity adjust, and set it to a minmal of 2 core's (cpu 0 and 1) ore al processers

Maybe it work...........it work here fine
Greeting from holland

Gr from holland
G.Kamsteeg
Radio-vredenburg.nl

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 10:46 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Heya Gerrie!

You are the MAN! That actually worked! After 6 months of me racking my brain trying to troubleshoot the problem, setting the CPU affinity sorted it!

I can take the whole SAM window and move it around the screen until I am dizzy. No pops, stutters or crackles. I have even set the max latency to the sound card back down to 100MS...still no popping or stuttering! I haven't tried lowering the latency buffer on the mic input yet, but I will have a tinker with that next!

Heel hartelijk bedankt. Ik kan jullie niet genoeg bedanken!

Keep it rocking on Radio Vredenburg!!!

Got Indie?

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 12:11 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Just reminder to all of you following this forum. You can only set this each time you start the applicaiton you have set the CPU affinity on. This will reset back to the default of one CPU or the other when you restart the application. I am doing a bit of research on a power shell script to assign this affinity to the SAM application. I will update you on my findings.

Got Indie?

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 4:48 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Having this behavior by default is a little tricky, but it can be done.
Change you shortcuts to have this as the target:
Code:
cmd.exe /C start /affinity 3 SAMBC.exe

And make sure the path to SAMBC.exe is set for start in. (Don't forget to put this in quotes if the path contains blanks)

The affinity switch uses a binary code to determine on which processor to run.
In the binary representation of the number, every processor to bind to is 1 and every other cpu is 0

Example:
Code:
1 = 00000001 = run on CPU 0
2 = 00000010 = run on CPU 1
3 = 00000011 = run on CPU 0 + 1
4 = 00000100 = run on CPU 2
5 = 00000101 = run on CPU 2 + 0
6 = 00000110 = run on CPU 2 + 1
7 = 00000111 = run on CPU 2 + 1 + 0

Hope this helps.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode