Skip to Content
It is currently November 1st, 2014, 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 4:59 pm 
New User
New User

Group,

For some odd reason sambroadcaster just stops playing. Its like the software is crashing. This issue just started a few weeks ago. I've been using this version of Sam(4.9) for almost 3 years and I never experienced this issue before.

When Sam stops playing/crashes it will not let me open the software. I have to reboot my pc.

I checked the database and its not corrupt.

Has anyone else seen this issue with SamBroadcaster 4.9? If so what can I do to prevent this issue from occurring..

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 5:36 pm 
New User
New User

hi,

have u try to install SAM again in the same folder?
i have the same issue today and installed it again
in the same folder from then the issue disapears
i use SAM 4.9.2 W7 64Bit Firebird Database

bets regards
haylebob

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 8:20 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Is it locking up or actually crashing?

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 9:20 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I have had the same problem but mine seems to occur when it is minimized to the system tray. This has occurred on the new update and also the 4.9.0 version. The software is actually shutting down in which I have to reopen it and restart the program. Haven't figured out why but I do try to keep it up and running and not minimizing to the system tray.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2011, 3:16 am 
New User
New User

here SAM was hanging up "no responding"
after 3-4 Minutes playing, streaming

PostPosted: December 25th, 2011, 9:15 am 
Alumni
Alumni

There are several threads discussing problems with early 4.9.x releases crashing. Downloading the latest version seems to have solved most of the problems. Give that a try.

I also recommend using the latest version of MySQL. Firebird has long been quirky for some folks and it is poorly supported.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: December 25th, 2011, 7:10 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I had crashing issues after the most recent upgrade. A fresh install on a new system (W7) and keeping the machine dedicated to SAM only has sorted it all out. I know a dedicated machine sounds expensive, but you don't need anything high-powered... second hand is cheap or sometimes free...

PostPosted: December 29th, 2011, 4:34 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I totally understand your problems with SAM.
We abandoned the SAM Machine just before Christmas (December 24th to be exact - or Tech Support Ticket was responded to on Dec 28th).
The machine locked up six days after reinstallation (due to numerous crashes and freeze ups/downs through the months of November and December).
We were running Sam 4.8, SAM 4.9.1, SAM 4.9.2, then SAM 4.9.3
Spatial Audio (after a 3-6 day wait always blamed it on anti virus and "other programs" - I guess MySQL constitutes "other Programs"- running on the machine).
Since we only run SAM on a dedicated machine and do not surf the web or do any production work on that machine, we found that response from tech support to be suspicious and uncooperative. Only one spatial tech actually logged onto our SAM - he was the only one who gave a realistic solution (back in November). The rest seem to just give "cut and paste answers, which always involved reinstallation (something we can do without troubling Tech Support, asking for "why" and receiving pat answers wasn't what we perceived to be quality tech support.
It seems as though SAM is required to run without Anti Virus Software and open to Virus and Malware Attack. Doing so leaves a very big hole in Software/Firewall and will open a network to virus and malware attacks.
Maybe when Spatial comes up with a SAM Version that will run with active anti virus and active firewall we will reconsider. But as for now - we are just out the investment we made in SAM Broadcaster (and maybe the 40+ hours of tech support man hours).
Dave R. Mason
KZZT-FM, KRPH-FM and Gallactic Radio.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 6:10 pm 
New User
New User

dataman19 wrote:
I totally understand your problems with SAM.
We abandoned the SAM Machine just before Christmas (December 24th to be exact - or Tech Support Ticket was responded to on Dec 28th).
The machine locked up six days after reinstallation (due to numerous crashes and freeze ups/downs through the months of November and December).
We were running Sam 4.8, SAM 4.9.1, SAM 4.9.2, then SAM 4.9.3
Spatial Audio (after a 3-6 day wait always blamed it on anti virus and "other programs" - I guess MySQL constitutes "other Programs"- running on the machine).
Since we only run SAM on a dedicated machine and do not surf the web or do any production work on that machine, we found that response from tech support to be suspicious and uncooperative. Only one spatial tech actually logged onto our SAM - he was the only one who gave a realistic solution (back in November). The rest seem to just give "cut and paste answers, which always involved reinstallation (something we can do without troubling Tech Support, asking for "why" and receiving pat answers wasn't what we perceived to be quality tech support.
It seems as though SAM is required to run without Anti Virus Software and open to Virus and Malware Attack. Doing so leaves a very big hole in Software/Firewall and will open a network to virus and malware attacks.
Maybe when Spatial comes up with a SAM Version that will run with active anti virus and active firewall we will reconsider. But as for now - we are just out the investment we made in SAM Broadcaster (and maybe the 40+ hours of tech support man hours).
Dave R. Mason
KZZT-FM, KRPH-FM and Gallactic Radio.

I've been running 4.5.6 for several years now; it co-exists just fine with Microsoft Security Essentials...MSE even does it middle-of-the-night updates and scans and SAM doesn't flinch. And although I don't do it often, I can surf the web on the machine as SAM runs with no ill-effect on my streams.

Running an ancient Dell 260 (P4, 2.26 ghz, 768mb of ram).

Established November 18, 2008

PostPosted: December 31st, 2011, 8:16 am 
Senior User
Senior User

@dataman19: Yeah. I don't quite blame you for giving up SAM for your uses. In fact for big terrestrial stations looking into it I'd personally advise against it if only for the very real possibility of all kinds of showstopping bugs. The latest run of issues developing since Spacial got bought out only magnifies that.

With that said, the response from support is merely CYA responses you get from practically every company's support lines. But for a $300 piece of software that is easily marketable to big stations, you'd expect more professional and thorough responses, not just canned lowest denominator answers. Neither antivirus nor firewall are going to affect SAM negatively and I wager a large chunk of the userbase can confirm this.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2011, 9:13 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Sort of an interesting discussion here, I've had my fare share of issues with SAM over the years, particularly with version 3.2.2. These included issues with the database not properly posting the playlist to my streaming server, and it completely hanging (freezing) when placing requests into the cue.

Incredibly when I went over to 4.2.2, I've never had an issue. This is inconsideration that I've got two copies of it running for two stations, on a Dell Inspiron 545 computer with Windows XP, and with production software such as Sony Sound Forge, Adobe Soundbooth, and etc. Moral of the story is, if you have a version that works, irrespective on how old it is, stick to it. I'm still using 4.2.2, and feel so comfortable with it, that I'll definitely trust it to terrestrial FM broadcasting, when I get properly licensed. About a year ago, I left the station computer unattended for a week, and left the machine on, and 4.2.2 worked like a charm.

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 7:29 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Yeah. There's some older and fairly stable versions. But unfortunately, like any software, there's times when newer versions happen to have fixes for bugs that aren't showstopping but still annoying, or have newer features you may desire for your station. I think the changelog is good proof of that if you check what has been added or fixed since a known stable version (in your case 4.2.2 or whatever version someone happens to be fond of at the time). And you also have the added point that a common response not only from Spacial's support folks but even members here to issues that are beyond a simple fix is to update to the latest version and see if it solves it. It's no longer such a cut and dry case of 'use a known stable version until the next stable release comes around' although, unfortunately, that is exactly the case if you want to stay on the air without babysitting the system. But that hampers other things in the meantime as I mentioned.

Not that I disagree with the point obviously. If you don't mind using a dated version, it is certainly possible to have a stable setup and your station on the air for more than a few days at a time. I do still stand by my point that I wouldn't recommend SAM to 'professional' terrestrial broadcasters. Keyword there being professional. They usually have the funds to afford more expensive software that is rock solid stable in comparison and has way better support. But you get what you pay for in this case. Low power broadcasters or those simply with low capital to play with, yeah SAM is a good and inexpensive option all things considered. But I wouldn't expect the same level of stability or support you'd get from the big boys. This much has been assured so far.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 12:23 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Good pointers about what sam is, updates that one may be missing out on with sticking with an older version, and comparisons between SAM and other professional software solutions.

I guess at the end of the day, these are all perameters that one has to consider and weigh up when deciding on what software and what version they be using.

For us, we are pretty much 24 over 7 music, hense in this case 4.2.2 works fine. I do recall there is a bug in 4.2.2 with the voice FXs, when talking to the air, but as we have assigned that duty to an external mixer, this is really no big deal. Occasionally when we do have an announcer to air, they basically switched SAM from "Play Queue" to "Manual DJ" whilst they are talking, then roll back into "Play Queue" when back into the adverts and music.

In relation to professional broadcast software, my quick spot of curiosity got me looking at some websites, and demo's on youtube. What I did see this morning was well,... I don't know. Much of these more professional packages maybe much more stabler then SAM, but one may need a PHD in Science or Computers Programming to work these things.

SAM's attraction is it's quick learning curve, I pretty much picked up the main operating components of it within a month. I would say I got a pretty good knowledge of it after about six months, and some much appreciated help on these forums.

When demoing about six different packages back in 2008,four of which you could call professional (price tag >$2 grand), I was rather surprised how clunky their interfaces looked, and worked. Some of them didn't have all of the features that SAM has

Just for interest, here is the youtube search I did this morning,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 8.4.2l21l0

.....and an Australian setup which looks fine on the surface, but also looks rather expensive. As it is cloud based, the music library is pretty much a pool that stations use, but the problem with this is one is not sure about the integrity and quality of the music in their system, and would they have the right single edits.

http://ausradiostation.com/

So in the end, many different setups and ideas to try out, but none of which will be useful if one has to reboot ones computer after every two tracks, like one of the posters above.

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: January 4th, 2012, 9:05 pm 
New User
New User

my version of sambroadcaster is 4.7.4

PostPosted: January 8th, 2012, 9:02 am 
New User
New User

I had a SAM freeze mid-broadcast. After some investigating it was due to the usb mixer board. I guess the driver began to fail and caused the crash. It like when you pull the usb conection and it causes SAM to freeze. Anyhow, I swapped usb mixer boards and all is well. Lets hope.