Skip to Content
It is currently March 1st, 2021, 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 4:10 am 
New User
New User

Really stuck on this, some tracks dont play and have a length of -0:00.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 7:27 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Some things to try:

1. Check that all files are of the proper type - mp3, wav, wma.
2. Verify the library (Tools>Maintenance>Verify songs) to make sure SAM can still find everything.
3. If you're using MySQL, do a database repair. See the FAQ thread for instructions.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: January 26th, 2012, 12:44 am 
Senior User
Senior User

A track length of -0:00 mean that the file name has Unicode/ non-Latin1 characters in it. i.e. Umlauts, diacritics, etc. SAM can still read the Tag information from the files for whatever reason when imputting them into the database, but it cant read the files for broadcasting.

Tildes (~) are especially troubling, since there is the Latin1 version, and another Unicode version that looks very close.

This poses problems for foreign language tracks. You can keep the special characters in the ID3 tags, but NOT for the filename itself.

With nearly 100k tracks from my 20 years of cd's, the ONLY time I've ever gotten a -0:00 time on a track is from this exact problem.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2012, 2:23 am 
Junior User
Junior User

I faced exactly the same, having only a small point to...
In my case those national characters which are parts of the current windows code page - in our case in Hungary is 1250 - can be in the filename, all works properly. The problem comes when double-byte codes are in the name.
I'm not saying this is the only reason of because happened already that after file rename the song was imported still with wrong length, but had no time to work it out. Next time when this occur will spend time to get more about.

-istvan

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 4:40 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I've seen this happen if you are trying to play files with DRM in them. SAM will not play DRM protected files.

Three decades of favorites 1959-1989
songsintime@gmail.com

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 10:48 am 
Senior User
Senior User

I'm not sure if this is any help, but it worked for me and one downside that i didnt switch over to sam broadcaster a few years back was because of lack support for unicode characters.

But as i was performing some maintenance tasks on the server, i tried changing the regional settings for the server to what the title of the song was coded with, and previously i added a song that sam displayed -0:00, with ??????? ???? in the title track, now displays the Unicode track name in my language and best part is its able to be played. Only if i stumbled on this sooner.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 6:12 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

This has happened to two of my tracks.

I have checked for odd characters (there are none)
I have looked at DRM

I live in London now, and my iTunes account is associated with Melbourne Australia.

Both files were .wav 1hr DJ mixes that I converted to 320kbs MP3 using iTunes. Could iTunes be adding DRM that would mean I'm having difficulty reading track length on my SAM instance in the UK?

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 7:58 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

iTunes won't add DRM to self-encoded files.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 8:40 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

OK thanks. So any idea why two files, cleanly named and tagged show as -0:00?

It sounds like a tag issue, as SAM won't write to or load the tags of these files.

I use iTunes to encode and MP3 tag to clean up names, covers and tags usually. But these two files just don't play nice with SAM.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 9:37 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

VBR-MP3 with broken duration tag?
I've got no idea to be honest.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 11:31 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

OK I'll do some testing and post my results here.

Note I have used iTunes successfully many times before, so I'm kind of at a loss for what to try.

:: Re-encoded the .wav (iTunes) and used a smaller image for cover art in the tag (300x300). Did all file naming and tagging in MP3tag. No joy.
:: Re-encoded the .wav (iTunes) and imported the untouched Mp3 without editing anything. No joy. Note it had a different file name so no corruption in the Firebird database couldn't be the cause.
:: Tried iTunes on another PC. No Joy.
:: Tried FreeAudioConverter. No joy
:: Tried opening the .wav in SAM and it did work. At this point I'm thinking that coming from the 44.1, 16bit .wav to 44.1 320kbs mp3 is causing an issue somehow

Going to try another encoder.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 7:26 pm 
New User
New User

A very simple solution if you can follow the following steps.

1. Load all songs or songs affected with -00:00? to Itunes Library
2. Click Edit- Preferences -
3. Under General Tab, click Import Settings (Note, Import Settings could be under Advance tab, depending on your Itune version)
4. Click drop down menu beside "Import Using" and select MP3 Encoder and the settings to Higher Quality ( 192 kpbs)
5. Click Ok

Now back to the list of tracks on Itunes Library.

6. Select all (Ctrl + A)
7. Right Click and select convert to MP3

8. Once Completed,
Go to to SAM broadcaster and load all your tracks
To filter the tracks, just type .aac in the search bar of your folder search bar.

You can't go wrong.

Your time has come

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 6:08 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Thanks for the help, but I think you missed the point. Nowhere am I using .aac. And I already know how to create MP3's with iTunes.

The problem is that a couple of mp3's that I have created have some form of tag corruption or sample/bitrate error from the conversion process. SAM refuses to acknowledge track length and load/write updated tag info.

It's worth pointing out that the tracks do queue and play.

Why then is this a problem?

It has become a problem as I am looking to add now playing album art to my website. As a result I have been cleaning up my library. These particular tracks refuse to have their tags modified. I came across this thread searching for -0.00.

Also I don't want to create an mp3 out of an mp3, I'd rather re-encode from the .wav as there's enough code/decode links in my chain as it is.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 7:50 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Interestingly enough, windows reports the correct track length. I went back to the original project file, bounced out the .wav and encoded in iTunes. No luck.

I finally got it working in SAM, by encoding the mp3 in Audacity. Interestingly enough, when I edited the tag in MP3tag the issue came back. Now when I import the untouched Audacity MP3 file it doesn't work also! Even though it has an updated filename and I removed its predecessor from my SAM library.

I really don't know where I'm at with this now. The exact same file creation path and format works most of the time.

Does SAM somehow use the file size to identify tracks? Or some other mechanism than the file name or tag?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 10:23 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Is the file being encoded as VBR or CBR? It sounds like when you did the encoding with audacity, it wrote out the timecode correctly, and then you opened the file in MP3tag and it may have re-written the timecode - the only time I can think of this happening is with VBR files.

Also.. which version of SAM are you using? if it's possible, coudl you put a copy of the troublesome file online for one of us to look at/tinker with?