Skip to Content
It is currently December 21st, 2014, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 7:48 am 
New User
New User

I won't ask the question how because I have read previous posts, I just can't get it to work.
What I do is click the arrow to add tracks to the playlist. It recognizes the CD and lists the tracks.
When attempting to play the track all I hear is clicking.
This may be due to my setup but someone might know a workaround.
My system has a SB X-Fi card and Realtek HD on board sound.
Streaming MP3s is done via X-Fi. Cue is Via Onboard. Microphone is via a preamp/mixer connected to the In Line of the Onboard Sound.
Now I am assuming that because of this dual sound card set up and that I use the on board sound for my main sound system somehow the CD signal is just not making it to the X-Fi card.
What confuses me is the Mic works via the on board sound so why not the CD player.
Any tips on how to get a CD player to play through two sound cards simultaneously would be appreciated

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 2:52 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

It is my understanding that music stored on CD(s) complies with the redbook cd audio standard, and as such, in it's native form on the CD...SAM is not capable of playing it direct....

It must be converted first in to a SAM supported audio format, OR you could take the analog output from the CD player and run it into your stand-alone mixer as detailed below

Attach a cable (available at any radio shack store) that has a 1/8" stereo headphone mini-jack on one end and splits to right and left Male RCA connectors.
Plug the RCA into your stand-alone mixing board, The mini jack to the FRONT of the cd player (headphone jack)

This would supply analog audio from CD player to your mixer, to be mixed with other audio sources and then fed to either sound card via the LINE-IN JACK.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2012, 1:41 am 
Alumni
Alumni

If you have Virtual Audio Cables, set your CD Player program to output to a VAC cable, then select that as the source for the SAM Encoder input.

Of course, that's just a "make it work" solution. I'd advise ripping the CDs to a format readable by SAM (MP3, WMA) and then loading those tracks in SAM.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2012, 2:43 am 
Senior User
Senior User

If you have the space, I highly recommend ripping to wav files a they'd be the best quality to provide SAM. Otherwise, highest bitrate mp3's is the way to go.

And for example of there is a case where you need a single track off a CD real quick, even the most modest remotely modern computer will rip a single track in second with no trouble.

Sent from my Droid Using ForumTouch for Android

PostPosted: January 27th, 2013, 5:57 am 
Senior User
Senior User

If you use .WAV format in SAM there is better quality, true. However with .WAV there is no way to properly tag each track as required by DMCA, ASCAP, BMI etc.

I run @ 128k mp3, One could encode mp3's at 320K for better quality, but I personally can't hear the difference...so why use the extra bandwidth?

PostPosted: January 27th, 2013, 11:46 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

You can of course tag WAV files.
This is just not an open standard, but a proprietary extension to the WAV file format by GoldWave and others, so not all media players will be capable of reading the tags and even less programs can write them.
SAM however is capable of handling Goldwave metadata tags for WAV.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode