Skip to Content
It is currently November 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAM Mic Voice Latency!
PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 5:25 pm 
New User
New User

I have downloaded the latest version of SAM, and have been having massive mic latency problems. I have re-installed, checked drivers etc. etc. It's only milli-seconds, but off-putting when especially when announcing 10CC, which becomes 10CC cc cc ...

I have scoured sources I know and have had many, many suggestions ranging from use different software to using external mixer, a better mic, a new computer and so on!

I like SAM, but need to solve this problem before buying, this is my setup :-

IBM ThinkPad T60 2Mb Dual Core Processor
2Gb Memory
350Gb HDD (234Gb free, unused)
SAM v4.9.6 (trial)
Yoga Stereo Condenser Mic

Other installed software includes AVG AV, MS Office, iTunes and various utilities like file type converter and Audacity.

I have found a fix, by disabling the mic and sending 'live' output to the .MP3 encoder I can use SAM, but I am ducking 'blind' and have no idea of my voice quality / loudness.

Several peeps have said get a USB Mic, the one that seems to be recommended is a Samson CO1U, which is actually quite old now, but it comes highly recommended ...

What started off as a simple trial and possible new hobby / job is getting increasingly difficult to sort. I don't want to buy SAM and find three months down the line I still have the problem, working 'blind'.

So, ideas please fellow users, has anyone encountered the sam problems, I have searched the web, YouTube, spoken to third-party suppliers and no one really has an answer :-(

HELP .... please, if you have any ideas, no matter how silly, they may just work?

PostPosted: June 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

OK it's been a bit, but...

If the problem is what I think it is, go into your VoiceFX Config and set the "VoiceFX Destination" to the last option, "Encoders". You won't hear yourself anymore, but you can monitor the levels via the VoiceFX box, and if you tune in to your own broadcast you'll be able to tell how it sounds there.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2012, 1:40 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

The Hermit wrote:
OK it's been a bit, but...

If the problem is what I think it is, go into your VoiceFX Config and set the "VoiceFX Destination" to the last option, "Encoders". You won't hear yourself anymore, but you can monitor the levels via the VoiceFX box, and if you tune in to your own broadcast you'll be able to tell how it sounds there.

This is exactly how I am set up. I used an archive only encoder to get the initial setup so I sounded how I wanted before I went live, then made a few minor tweaks when I was on air until I got the sound how I wanted on the broadcast.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 4:05 pm 
New User
New User

Another option is to try is forcing the voice latency higher instead of lower. Most people can handle their voice coming back to them as an echo far better than they can handle it when it's tens of milliseconds slow, and you can still hear the levels in real time. Find the shortest "echo" working upward that doesn't make you try to slow down your voice to match it.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2013, 12:15 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Once upon a time - I was frustrated by this too.... The only "real" fix i found for this was to use an outboard sound mixer & MIC

Here's how this works:

1: get a basic stereo sound mixing board at radioshack. (45-100 dollars)

2: connect the mixer as follows

PC LINE OUT (SAM OUTPUT) > LINE 1 INPUT ON MIXER

REC OUT JACKS ON MIXER TO LINE IN JACK ON PC SOUNDCARD

connect a standard analog microphone to the mixer. Set sam encoder "source" to "soundcard".

This passes audio from sam through the mixer..(on line 1)..You can now "mix" in your voice by speaking in to the mic on the mixer (not the PC)

The "final" audio (with your voice) is passed back to the sam encoder via the soundcard LINE-IN (or MIC jack.... if your soundcard has no line-in) - Connect a standard headet to the mixer - NOT THE PC.... and listen to the mixer output (master output) in your headset.

*** The reason this removes the "delay" is because now you can monitor the "final" audio & your voice - with no delay - by connecting a headset to the outboard mixer. Because the "final" audio in the headset connected to the mixer (not the PC) is analog & in "real-time" (no processing delay) so, you can speak normally.

Hope that helps.

Three decades of favorites 1959-1989
songsintime@gmail.com

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 2:42 am 
New User
New User

*sighs* Yes, it looks like that may be the way to go.

I have just bought a Rode Podcaster too, You know, the one which says
"No Latency" on the box.

Maybe they need an asterix next to that?

DJ at Air Digital Radio with Danie Tregonning and Mark Perkins

@Wolfie_Rankin on Twitter.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 5:52 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Wolfie.Rankin wrote:
Maybe they need an asterix next to that?

That would indeed be a marketing stunt, placing a small Gaul figurine on the package that tells you about latency being added when processing the signal instead of just forwarding it unmodified.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode