Skip to Content
It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 1:25 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Hello. I've been messing with SAM for about 8 months now off and on. Yes, I have some pretty complicated functions I'm trying to accomplish but I know they are all possible because Ive seen it done before. First, I want to thank the four individuals who have attempted to help me: DJ Cassio, Radio Wayne, Elevatorboy and Mastacheata. I can see that you guys are the only form of support available and I'm hoping Spacial audio is compensating you greatly. (or how I refer to them now as Facial audio, because that's how you're going to feel after buying their product and seeking support).

I still haven't been able to get SAM to run correctly or even get a lead in the direction to fulfill my needs. When I contact tech support they just write me either a generic message or start asking questions I've clearly answered. This can go on for a week with generic replies and me repeating myself over and over again. It's been a constant struggle. I got an e-mail last week from "special support" and I wrote back in 15 minutes. It's been a week and no answer what so ever. I spoke to Luiz briefly about another issue because I was getting copyright violation notices from one of their "agents" sending them to my ISP even though I am a paying owner of SAM. Luiz addressed this immediately, which was great of him. He offered to give me a quote concerning my special scripting needs but that was about 3 weeks ago and no reply from him.

I contacted the webscriptstore.com because I keep getting referred to them by facials tech support. They never wrote me back. After about 2 months I found a phone number and spoke to the guy on the phone. I e-mailed him and even though we spoke on the phone, he never e-mailed me back. I even bought one of his scripts, installed it exactly like the instructions said to do and it didn't work. He never wrote be back about that either.

So I just want to warn anyone considering purchasing this software. If you are looking to do anything besides use it out of box, and you need support, FORGET ABOUT IT! It's been a frustrating experience to say the least and before the other forum members jump all over me, put yourself in my shoes. 8 months of constant frustration. I hope you commend me for being so patient and calm instead of chastising me for speaking the truth about Facial Audio.

You've been warned.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 2:05 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Well that's the way stuff works at rather small companies with low budget for support.
But even huge companies like microsoft won't be of any help to you unless you pay them a shitload of money.
The problem with Spacial is that even if you were willing to pay for a support contract they don't seem to have the manpower to provide more than basic help and technical support.

I've been using SAM since 2003/2004 and never even tried to talk to their support when I needed to do more complicated stuff.

No idea about that script guys you were referred to, but I've heard similar stories from quite a few users.
There's not much money to make in this field, so you need to focus on different things like creating websites and stuff to make a living.
I know what I'm talking about since I did some paid stuff and a few times I heavily underestimated the time and effort needed for the stuff I was offering.
And that is not limited to doing scripts for SAM powered websites or hands on support for the software itself, same is true for almost every area of freelance IT jobs. There's only so few people that can do a great job at small budget and there are so many more that just won't deliver.

To sum it up: I'm sorry you're so disappointed with SAM, because I think it's a great piece of software. On the other hand I can understand your frustration when searching for help is so complicated and so totally not successful.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode

PostPosted: June 19th, 2012, 5:44 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Quote:
,,,I'm hoping Spacial audio is compensating you greatly.

The V in SVS stands for volunteer. We offer the benefit of our experience and curiosity about making SAM do neat stuff, and I appreciate your kind words.

I, too, am sorry to hear about your frustrations and hope that your comments spur (paid) tech support to address your issues expeditiously.

Good luck.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 2:14 am 
Alumni
Alumni

I know I'm not in your list of people from this forum who've worked with you to try to work things out (and that's mostly cuz I've been MIA for the while), but I'll say this much:

SAM BC is a basic but very well written piece of software. It doesn't have all the GUI options other programs have, but if you decide to buy it (for a quite reasonable, if not low price), and then spend a good bunch of time learning how it works and how to set it up, it is a very comprehensive program.

In fact, when I was setting up my system, I liked SAM BC because once I learned the features of SAM BC and PAL scripting (as much as I did) I was able to set SAM up to do everything I needed.

It basically comes down to this: which do you have more of? Time or money? Time, SAM is good. Money, you might look for something else. Neither? Well...assume from the first two.

I have been in contact with Louis before, myself. Mostly about issues that I had found and spent some time troubleshooting to figure out exactly what was going on, such as an issue with a PAL code picking the wrong deck. And from what I remember, my troubleshooting helped him resolve the issue in a subsequent version.

You still get what you pay for. In this case, with SAM BC, you pay a small amount for a comprehensive program that you have to spend alot of time to learn how to use to its full potential; or with another program you can pay alot more and get a complete "point and click" interface with 24 hour tech support.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2012, 10:18 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

This topic is not the dropzone for all of your problems with spacial support.
If you've got specific issues, please open a new thread.
I've moved the last 2 posts about one of these specific problems to a new thread.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36537

This thread is now closed. If you feel that this topic needs more information, please send me a private message.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]