Skip to Content
It is currently January 21st, 2021, 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 5:08 am 
Junior User
Junior User

EDIT by Moderator: This question was refering to the Multiple Instances tutorial by isaacl, but is really about a completely different situation that only shares some aspects by chance

isaacl,

Is it possible to use this method on a 2nd machine? My existing SAM machine is hosting an SQL server that can easily (with some config changes) be set up to allow other machines on the subnet to access it.

The reason I ask is that I am wanting to set up a way that our program manager can ingest new tracks to the SAM instance while the host is doing their show without having to get in there and hijack control from them. We tried this before using VNC, but it became clear that does not work as they end up battling for one cursor in two rooms...

What I would like to do is share the data-store (a raid that hosts the audio/music/station ID/etc) with a matching mapped drive, and share the SQL and then have the PM sit in the corner and be able to add tracks to the shared drive (stored on the SAM machine, not his) to the DB... Is this possible?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 7:06 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

That is totally possible, but I would like to issue a warning about doing that.
It may create race conditions if both SAM computers access the same database (more precisely the same dataset)

Also this is not really related to running multiple instances of SAM via the /INSTANCE switch, but is a more generic question, so I'll move this stuff to a seperate topic.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 3:24 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Any suggestions on how I could accomplish the task of using a separate machine for track addition/management?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 5:14 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Use database replication with multiple seperate MySQL or MSSQL Servers.
That would be a lot more safe in my opinion.

Another option would be to use database backups and perform these kind of tasks "offline".
Create a backup on the "main" machine, then restore that very same backup on your management machine. Perform any tasks you need there and perform another backup. (Optionally remove the requestlist, queuelist and historylist from that backup)
Last step: Restore the second backup on the main machine.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 5:47 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Herm...I think I might just write some code.

It would be cool if Spacial could create a tool which could be used to connect to a remote SQLdb and ingest tracks.

It would be easy enough for me to add a file dump and have SAM read them in, but we want to be able to tag them and put them into categories...

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 6:19 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Well, that's a rather seldom use-case.
Most people will just use their main SAM for these kind of tasks.

My Project:

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 2:51 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

If you set the second instance of SAM to access the main MySQL database on the main machine (make sure the MySQL ports are open, and you would probably have to create a new MySQL user on the main database, and I would recommend restricting that user to the specific local IP of the second machine), and then have the audio files in the same folder location on the second machine as they are on the main machine (C:\Music, for instance), and you have the same audio files on both machines, either by manually copying them, or by using a program that will sync the folders automatically, then it should work.
I use the Cubby program from LogMeIn to sync my music collection on multiple computers, to make sure that my music folder is exactly the same on all the computers, which allows me to have a backup SAM machine ready to go at any given time. (I am using a replicated database to keep the databases the same, since I don't need to add anything on the second machine.)
There probably are other programs out there that will sync the music folders for you - AeroFS theoretically would work, but you can only sync folders within the AeroFS folder, so the folder would have to be there, and I recall seeing other options as well.
Cubby has worked well for me, and always syncs very quickly between multiple computers, so it was worth it for me to pay for it for now, though I always keep an eye on what's available.
Hope that helps...

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 2:57 am 
Junior User
Junior User

The issue is not so much about having tracks sync'd, at this time there is just one location that they are stored (well, I am not counting the zip'ed backups) and all I want to do is be able to add tracks/carts/audio to the database and edit the fade in/out points etc... I know that in terrestrial stations I have worked with, their software allowed for that sort of thing. I reallllly don't want to move to Rivendell or something like that...

SAM is getting bigger and bigger...It might be time for Spacial to start looking at radio automation software for the real stations out there...

PostPosted: August 15th, 2013, 12:51 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The point of syncing the files is so that they don't have to be shared, and you can always have the same thing in both instances, and update the same database based on the same files.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2013, 1:01 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Are you aware of any risks with this? I know there are "race" condition risks...Have you tried this before?

PostPosted: August 15th, 2013, 1:54 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Risks with which part of this? And what do you mean by "race" condition risks?
I have used a similar setup before, though there were some differences, but this should work.
As always, make a database backup before you try anything, but I don't see any reason why there should be any issues.
You can see if someone else can weigh in here just to make sure...

PostPosted: August 15th, 2013, 2:04 am 
Junior User
Junior User

The "race" condition refers to two devices making changes on one DB. I think I may try this next time I am at the studio location.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2013, 2:55 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I never really used it to make changes, but as long as nothing contradictory is being done, I don't think there should be any issues.
I would just set up a second MySQL user for the second computer/instance.