Having had issues with clients who attempted to either install FireBird or incorrectly chose the wrong settings in MySQL, my recommendation would be to:
- Uninstall MySQL from Windows
- After uninstall, make sure to delete all MySQL folders residing on your hard drive.
- Shutdown --->Restart computer
- Reinstall MySQL
- Download the MySQL Workbench GUI for the non-nerdy
- Watch this video and follow the steps exactly (yes older version, but still gets the job done, each and every time.
- As suggested by Mastacheata, click the reconfigure SAM shortcut to connect to the database.
- Sit back, pour yourself an Irish coffee and bask in the rEVOLution that is SAM Broadcaster.