Skip to Content
It is currently September 27th, 2021, 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrade Mysql
PostPosted: January 30th, 2014, 2:36 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Hey all, I been searching for days, and have not found my answer, so I have come here now. My question is, is it possible to upgrade mysql to a newer version without uninstalling and reinstalling Sam?

Post subject: Re: Upgrade Mysql
PostPosted: January 30th, 2014, 9:21 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Yes - how careful you have to be probably depends on how much of an upgrade you're doing, but just make a backup of your database before you upgrade, just in case.
And it depends on which version of SAM you're using, but if you're on any of the fairly recent versions (older versions may not even work correctly with 5.5, but there's no reason why you wouldn't be on 4.9.8 or 2013.6, both of which work correctly with 5.5), and you want to use the SAM backup/restore function, don't upgrade to MySQL 5.6 yet - 5.5 seems to be the latest version that works correctly with the SAM backup/restore function.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 5:58 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Thank you for the reply isaacl, I have been using older versions mainly because I have had good luck with them and heard some bad luck with newer versions, I currently run Sam 4.9.0 and Mysql 4.0.xx. Although once in a while I do get a Sam crash and only one time gave me a clue as to why, I caught an error report popup just before Sam vanished from the task bar and the error mentioned something to do with Mysql, so this is why I was thinking of upgrading mysql. I was thinking of looking for Mysql 5.0 and see if all goes well, or would Mysql 5.5 still be fine with Sam 4.9.0 ?

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 8:49 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I have no idea if upgrading from MySQL 4.x to 5.x works, or how well it works, since 4.x is really old, and before my time...
I would recommend backing up your database (from SAM, as well as a database dump to SQL file, just in case), fully removing 4.x, and then installing 5.5 from scratch, and then restoring the database.
But there might be someone here who would know more about it than I would...

PostPosted: February 4th, 2014, 12:08 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

There is no way of UPGRADING a MySQL install from 4.0 to 5.5 directly.
This has multiple reasons: 4.1 introduced a new password encryption and invalidates all the user credentials stored in a 4.0 install.
5.0 introduced an incompatible change in the storage engine MyISAM which will invalidate all the stored data from a 4.1 and older database.

The only way to upgrade the existing install is to do the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 and then to 5.0 and then to 5.1 and then to 5.5 (You may skip 5.2 to 5.4)
After installing the newer version on top, you need to run the mysql_upgrade tool which should in most cases do all the structural upgrades for you.

You can of course dump your databases and recreate the contents in 5.5 or 5.6. I'd say this is the preferred way to do things.
Run MySQLDump to create a file containing the SQL statements for creating all databases and the contained data:
Code:
mysqldump -uroot -p --all-databases > backupfile.sql

And then restore that data in the new MySQL 5.5 system:
Code:
mysql -uroot -p < backupfile.sql

You might need to change the passwords (if any) for the MySQL users as the password encryption changed from MySQL 4.0 to 4.1

Documentation for the in-place upgrade of MySQL 4.0 to 5.5 can be found in these locations:
4.0 => 4.1
4.1 => 5.0
5.0 => 5.1
5.1 => 5.5

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 5:06 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Hello Mastacheata, you are very resourceful.

Many thanks.

Just to be clear in my head. The dump I do after [....You can of course dump your databases and recreate the contents in 5.5 or 5.6. I'd say this is the preferred way to do things.] this is after I do the upgrades, right and not on the old 4.0.

Thanks again

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 7:43 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

That would be pretty useless.
You have to DUMP the database contents to a file BEFORE you do the upgrade so you can RESTORE if necessary.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 5:02 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

OK, Much thanks for making me see what a jerk that I am and must learn that when the brain is tired and I am sleeping on me I should realize that I will ask dumb questions ...-laugh

Much appreciated for the response.

Thanks

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 7:12 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Hello Mastacheata, sorry to be taking up some of your time here.

I have been doing lots of reading and trouble shooting to upgrade mysql to try and get FHRsam wordpress plugin going and have reached a road block and is not getting the answer to solve my issue.

I went from 4.0.25 to 4.1 to 5.0 and trying to upgrade to 5.1 so that I can upgrade to 5.5.

5.1 installed OK and according to the doc in 5.1 I my use "mysql_upgrade" in this version and every other versions above.

Here is my error:

C:\mysql\bin\mysql_upgrade -uroot -p
Enter password: ************
Looking for 'mysql.exe as: C:\mysql\bin\mysql.exe
Looking for 'mysqlcheck.exe' as: C:\mysql\bin\mysqlcheck.exe
Running 'mysqlcheck'with connection arguments: "--port = 3306"
Running 'mysqlcheck'with connection arguments: "--port = 3306"
C:\mysql\bin\mysqlcheck.exe: mysqlcheck: Got error: 1064: You have an error in your SQL sysntas; check the manual that corresponds to your Mysql server version for the right syntax to use near 'FOR UPGRADE'at line one whem executing ÇHEXK TABLE ... FOR UPGRADE'
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade Failed.

I have been at it for the last 2 days reading but still no solution to my exact situation.

Many Thanks.

Fred

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 6:09 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Quote:
The FOR UPGRADE option checks whether the named tables are compatible with the current version of MySQL. This option was added in MySQL 5.1.7.

From the MySQL handbook regarding the CHECK TABLE syntax.

It looks like you're running mysql_upgrade from a new MySQL install on a server with an old version.
I've never done an upgrade that way. Simply shut down the server, install the new version over the top, restart the server and fix the permissions (as that's basically the only thing that changes).
If everything fails, I can still restore the contents of the database using the SQL Dump. That loses the structural information (i.e. how is the database named and who may access it), but it's usually easy to restore that by hand.

My Project: