Skip to Content
It is currently August 23rd, 2019, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: APPS for station
PostPosted: July 4th, 2018, 2:55 am 
New User
New User

Hi, new to spatial, but I was wondering what is the best way to create an app or buy an app. Is it a simple connect sam broadcaster to an app to have my station available on an app? I am new to all of this.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: APPS for station
PostPosted: July 4th, 2018, 8:50 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

You put that in the SAM Broadcaster section, but are you looking for an App to control SAM Broadcaster or an App for people to listen to your radio station?

An App for your listeners is easy, but depends on your stream server (Shoutcast, Icecast etc) and not on SAM Broadcaster.
There's 3 options for that:
  1. Build an app from scratch. There are SDKs from both Android and iOS available for free and there's also cross-platform toolkits like ReactNative, Xamarin etc. You will need to sign up with Google (25 USD once) and Apple (99-299 USD per year) in order to publish your app. If developing using the SDK provided by Apple, you'll also need a machine running macOS in order to develop your app.
  2. Grab a template (free or paid) and just fill in your name, logo and URL to get the finished App Code. That way you don't have to take care of the programming and understanding the different APIs at all. The fees and requirements for publishing your App will still apply, though. For free templates you have to search yourself, but for paid ones I recommend the Envato Market (especially their code snippet marketplace named CodeCanyon)
  3. Hire someone to build and/or publish the app for you or look for a stream service that has that included. Most services ask a monthly fee and provbide you with apps that all look very similar across all their stations. You usually only get to change the Name and Logo. Another option is to hire someone to build a custom app according to your specifications. A good place to look for such people would be fiverr.com or one of the freelancer platforms like freelancer.com or UpWorks. Offers at Fiverr vary a lot. You can get an App for 5 USD or spend several hundred USD to get the jack of all trades app. Also make sure to check if they publish your apps or if you have to do that yourself.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

Post subject: Re: APPS for station
PostPosted: July 4th, 2018, 4:19 pm 
New User
New User

If you are looking for an app for your listeners, aside from what Mastacheata has already said, you can go through Nobex. It's totally free at the start - they build an app for you (both Android and iOS), and publish it on both the Google Play and Apple stores.

The app they create for you is pretty decent - you can customize it to include social media feeds, etc., and it only plays one advertisement when it starts up. Be forewarned, though - if you don't get at least 100 people to download your app within a certain time period (60 days, I think - but I could be wrong) you might have to sign up for a Small Station plan, which costs $5/month to keep your app listed in the stores.

If you want to see what they look like, search for ours - go to your app store (Google Play or Apple) and search for "Unhinged Radio".

We are a Shoutcast station, so I know they support that. I am not 100% sure of what other platforms are supported.

To check it out/sign up/etc., go to http://www.nobexpartners.com/.

(PLEASE NOTE: I am not affiliated with Nobex in any way, other than the fact that they made an app for our station)