Skip to Content
It is currently April 20th, 2021, 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SAM CRASH
PostPosted: January 24th, 2017, 4:13 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Hi.

Here is the problem that follows me for several years ever since SAM acquired a new look...

Not that SAM did not (doesn't) have other problems , but this problem is major. It has been with me through thick and thin and followed all three PCs...

I cannot find the explanation why SAM miraculously crashes leaving behind just a an icon in systray that disappears as you hover a mouse cursor.

This may happen every 10-15 minutes or once a month... it is unpredictable!

I tried to disable antivirus thinking that it could've been the problem, an NO, it did not do a thing.

I noticed that every time it crashes, the Event Log file is cleared and only the more resent SAM Launch is noted there. So, I am thinking maybe once that log file gets full, SAm just crashes to let it renew?! Don't know.

SAM Support, as always, cannot come up with new solutions to this problem, but the most ridiculous ones like: reinstall PC, reinstal mySQL, reinstal SAM from scratch reinstall something - this has never been reported, which means YOU ARE the one with the problem. And as far as I know, SAM has always been known for crashing unexpectedly!

That's what made the inventor os Sam Autostart create his utility! I praise this guy every time SAM crashes, and autostart opens it up and notifies me!

I wish I could say the same about SAM software which wants to be called professional broadcast automation, but has various glitches and nuances that pull it back to Semi Professional level. BUT you pay the yearly membership and get the glitchy version again; this time their programmer forgot to included Scroll UP/DOWN buttons in even scheduler starting in ver. 2016-8, and I bet 2016-11 is current and still has none of those buttons! That's unbelievably professional! But don't forget to pay to renew your membership. I would like to pay a thousand once and for all, but PLEASE give us the most stable and fully functional version!

Don't get me wrong, I love SAM with all its crap, because I really hope that one day they get these stuff working as a watch:

the button no crossfade gaps, no hanging decks, no other chronic problems that follow from version to version since god knows when. Perhaps XFade button will finally start working correctly and will crossfade tracks that are markerd XFadeHERE instead of fading out to complete silence and then starting a new track?!

Anyway, people - SAM Lovers and enthusiasts of broadcast industry! If the problem with ghost crashes is familiar to you, please share with me if you found the reason why SAM does that!!!

Thank you.

mySQL 5.1
Win 7
Custom made computer
16 gig Ram AMD PC
Edirol UA 25EX Audio card
PRESONUS STUDIO LIVE Console

Post subject: Re: SAM CRASH
PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 8:20 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Do the 3 PCs have any shared hardware (i.e. a USB/FireWire soundcard or anything like that)?
Are you running PAL scripts from third parties or which you wrote yourself?

I've seen the problem of software (including SAM) minimzing to the tray and never coming back from that state, no matter what you try.
But SAM minimizing or closing but leaving the tray icon all by itself hasn't yet happened to me in over 10 years of using SAM

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode