Skip to Content
It is currently July 21st, 2019, 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 6:18 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Hi,

About a month ago the ability to retrieve CD covers from Amazon stopped. I get an error "failed to load"

Any idea why this feature stopped working ?

Attachments:
error.jpg
error.jpg [ 66.77 KiB | Viewed 6545 times ]
PostPosted: January 17th, 2017, 8:32 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I've heard that a few times already now.
There's only one compelling reason for this feature to stop working and that is if Amazon changed their API for searching and grabbing Cover artwork.
I couldn't find any information about that, though. The Amazon Product Advertising API documentation was last updated in 2015 and there's nothing mentioning a recent change of that anywhere on the AWS documentation.

Just keep nagging the official support. They have to answer sooner or later (I suppose they're targeting later)

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 5:42 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but they changed from http to https recently.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 1:03 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

That could very well be the cause of such problems.
Typically HTTP libraries in programming languages are set to validate TLS certificates by default, but don't ship with any list to validate against. (That means they will fail in 99% of all cases to establish a connection to a secure website)

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: January 20th, 2017, 10:34 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Mine isn't working either. Wonder if Spacial is going to fix this ?

- http://www.AlternativeHD.com
- http://www.lahotcountry.com

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 8:04 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Spacial changed something in 2017.1 to make this work again.
That means two things:
1. Amazon changed their API and the old one used in versions up to 2016 doesn't work anymore.
2. As Spacial doesn't do any updates to older releases anymore (after all the subscription model grants access to the latest version at any time), any version before 2017.1 is unlikely to have this feature ever work again.

My Project:

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 9:41 am 
New User
New User

Mastacheata wrote:
Spacial changed something in 2017.1 to make this work again.
That means two things:
1. Amazon changed their API and the old one used in versions up to 2016 doesn't work anymore.
2. As Spacial doesn't do any updates to older releases anymore (after all the subscription model grants access to the latest version at any time), any version before 2017.1 is unlikely to have this feature ever work again.

This would be extremely disappointing to those of us who don't want/like using cloud software and paid quite a bit for their existing versions. In my opinion, abandoning less than 10 year old versions of the software in favor of supporting only their cloud version shows me that they intend to force users into their Software As A Service model. I will never subscribe to use software nor will I use online software, regardless of its cost. I often use SAM offline and there are circumstances where I don't even have network access if I serve as an event DJ. Is the fix THAT hard to do for versions 2000 and up or is this just a business decision to favor their current business model? Frankly, if this fix isn't implemented for at least the 2000+ versions, I won't be inclined to upgrade to any future versions of SAM, regardless of cloud status.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 5:12 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Good that SAM 4 will be 11 years old this year ;)

Jokes aside, SAM Cloud might indeed be the focus of development in the last 2 years or so, but the SAM Pro edition without the need to connect to SAM Cloud is still available and being maintained as well.
I could understand your critics much better if it was about the subscription model almost every commercial software manufacturer has adopted in the last few years (Office 365, Adobe CreativeCloud etc).

Asking for an old version to be maintained with functionality patches 4 years after EOL is unrealistic, though. A company at the size of Microsoft could maybe afford that, but even they have limited their support periods.
MS provides mainstream support for 5 years after release or 2 years after the release of the successor, whichever comes last - after that MS provides another 5 years of updates for security-related problems only. Applying that same strategy to SAM Broadcaster would make the Mainstream support end in december 2014 and the extended support in 2019, but as this isn't a security-problem it wouldn't fall into the extended support category anyways.

But to even offer such an extensive support you got to have the human resources. First you need the Helpdesk people, that's the easy part as they're around anyways and it probably doesn't matter too much which version you support if you do it for free after you already got the money from the customer for the product. But to actually fix a problem you need to have a developer working on the problem for a few hours. And the developer must first dive back into the old code and look for a solution. Backporting the fix from the current version is usually not an option. That time would be way better spent with fixing problems in subscription stuff (like SAM Cloud) or working on new stuff so you have arguments for selling the next version again.
Spacial is a relatively small company as far as I know. Even though they got a big player in the background since a few years, I doubt that they got significantly more resources out of that. (At least that's the way it was in the company I work for when they were bought by a larger company and not merged into the big company)

My Project:

PostPosted: February 5th, 2017, 12:06 pm 
New User
New User

Mastacheata wrote:
Good that SAM 4 will be 11 years old this year ;)
---snip

I understand what you are saying and while I have SAM Pro 2014, it is still frustrating to lose functionality only to find out that my 3 year old software is no longer being updated in lieu of an entirely new subscription model I really can't take advantage of in many cases.

Regardless of the number and size of companies moving to the "Software as a Service" model, it still doesn't make it the right option for everyone. Unless there are plans to have both a stand alone AND a cloud version of SAM, my options have still been reduced to ONE; and there is no justification in the world that will change the fact that I can't use that option. Just as a point of fact, Microsoft had to relent and offer Office 2016 as a standalone product because they could not get enough of the general public to buy into their subscription system. Spacial may not worry about such things and I can understand that...it is their decision. Do I like it? No...and I will keep using SAM 2014 until I find something better that fits my needs. If that option comes from Spacial, so much the better!

PostPosted: February 5th, 2017, 6:45 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I understand that the subscription model is not what you want/need. I'm totally with you on that point.
On the one hand I can understand why a subscription model makes sense from the POV of a software manufacturer.
And it could make sense to the user as well, because if the software company can plan with more money, new features can be deployed faster and even features for a smaller target audience have a chance of being made.
However Spacial doesn't do any of the customer-benefit improvements. They're just doing the most basic maintenance. That's not a benefit to me or at least not enough for a 100 USD every year.

You're really confusing me with this par, though:
Quote:
Unless there are plans to have both a stand alone AND a cloud version of SAM

Are you really talking about CLOUD version here? As in SAM Cloud? Or is cloud just another word for subscription to you? SAM Pro isn't available as a Cloud or SaaS version at all. It's standalone, installable software only. Just with a subscription model for updates as you know.

My Project:

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 10:55 am 
New User
New User

Mastacheata wrote:
You're really confusing me with this par, though:

Quote:
Unless there are plans to have both a stand alone AND a cloud version of SAM

Are you really talking about CLOUD version here? As in SAM Cloud? Or is cloud just another word for subscription to you? SAM Pro isn't available as a Cloud or SaaS version at all. It's standalone, installable software only. Just with a subscription model for updates as you know.

ok, I can see the confusion now. I was proceeding under a bit of incorrect information, and using the word 'cloud' to reference it. Based on what you said, let me see if I now have this correct. SAM is still a standalone, self contained package that does not need internet activation every time you use it. What you are subscribing for is maintenance, not 'rental' of the product.

If this is truly the case, then I apologize for my misunderstanding and will correct those who gave me the false info in the first place.

Cheers!

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 5:10 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Yep, the confusion is probably with SAM Cloud and SAM Broadcaster.
SAM Cloud is a web-only SaaS-product. You can use a specially adapted edition of SAM Broadcaster called Live DJ with it for free to do Live shows. (This is as far as I know, the only version of SAM to require a permanent internet connection)

SAM Broadcaster in all variations (obviously except Live DJ) require an internet connection in 2 situations: #1 To do the activation once and #2 To stream online.
A permanent connection is not required and they don't call back to Spacial at all (obviously if you enter your Audiorealm credentials it will connect to Audiorealm on each track change to notify that service, but this is a voluntary choice)

My Project:

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 7:33 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Dear friends..i have old and good customer for sam broadcaster...but this new for me is a bad and great issue...bad support for your customers...bad support!!! i have payed my software and now if would to update new version payed..the price is very expensive!

PostPosted: July 10th, 2017, 10:17 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

radiokemonia wrote:
Dear friends..i have old and good customer for sam broadcaster...but this new for me is a bad and great issue...bad support for your customers...bad support!!!

How is this new?
The problem is known for 6 months now and Spacial's update policy (no updates at all unless you have an active subscription and support without subscription is limited to activation issues) has been around for 4 years now.

Also: If you skipped all 5 renewals (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), you've already saved 500 USD, enough to pay for 2 new SAM licenses (If you get it in one of the many sales).

My Project:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2017, 5:09 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Ok dear Benedict...but an good attention of old customer as i is appreciate..example a discount for update...