Skip to Content
It is currently August 5th, 2020, 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DB Change
PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 2:22 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I'm discovering the headaches of PAL scripts not working with FIREBIRD DB. I don't wan the computer headache of installing MSQL and the hoops one has to go through for that crap.
I want to get MARIA DB, instead. Written by the same person involved with the waste-of-time MYSQL

How can I (GUESS) resolve the issue of DB management? FIREBIRD, MYSQL, and some M$ product...........Maria not mentioned.
Do I have to RE-install SAM and go through all of the set-ups again?? And all of my adjustments of the audio processing??? Am I heading into another computer hell to use a better DB?
Is there an easy trick to this?
Thanks for your patience.
Fred

Post subject: Re: DB Change
PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 5:11 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

If you choose MariaDB or MySQL doesn't really matter for the purpose of running SAM. It's probably not noticeable at all in such a small scale.

With that said, let's get back to the question at hand: How to switch from Firebird to a database for adults.

The easy/low effort way involves 3 steps:
  1. Download a database for adults supported by SAM (MySQL, PostgreSQL or MS SQL or a compatible fork of the first 2)
  2. Install and set up - minimal setup is create an administrative user, usually called either root or postgres and create an empty database for SAM | advanced setup adds a separate user for SAM with access restricted to the SAM database
  3. Reconfigure SAM using the Reconfigure shortcut from the start menu or by calling SAMBC.exe with the /reconfigure commandline switch (either modify an existing SAM shortcut or call the SAMBC.exe from "run..." [Press Win+R] or call SAMBC.exe from a commandline [shift + right click an empty spot in the SAM program files/data folder and select "command prompt here"])

You'll loose all of your library, history and current playing information as well as any information regarding Events created in the Event Scheduler of SAM.
Any other settings (encoders, window layout, general settings, settings for plugins including the built-in AGC and other DSP plugins) are kept intact.

The hard/lots of effort way involves two more seemingly small steps, but probably also a ton of research upfront:
After Step 2, but before Step 3 insert Steps 2b and 2c:
2b. Create a database backup of Firebird in a database neutral format like CSV or XLS(x) (SAM won't do this for you and Firebird embedded lacks any commandline tools to assist with that job, but there are probably third party database management tools like MySQL Workbench or HeidiSQL that are compatible with Firebird as well. This one looks promising: http://fbexport.sourceforge.net/, if that doesn't do the trick, there is a list with tools for backup/export or maybe management GUIs might work as well over at the firebird homepage: https://www.firebirdsql.org/en/third-party-tools/ - try at your own risk, especially with the commercial ones)

2c. Restore said generic backup into the newly created MySQL database.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 6:49 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Hi Mastacheata. Thanks for all of the info on the mechanics to make the switch. A fellow named Roderick writes PAL scripts for SAM BC Pro. Many of his products state that the script will not work in SAM using Firebird. He told me that Maria has less of the hassle of sing-ins and password changes and what seems like some glitchiness of MYSQL. I had a problem with RadioDJ using MYSQL, loading my libraries. It would stop loading and no message why it stopped.
I downloaded a trial of SAM and selected Firebird to see if it would upload my libraries, and it did. So, I bought SAM.
Roderick told me RadioDJ looks at files differently than SAM, and maybe why I was striking out with RadioDJ.
Just seems that SAM comes to life, using PAL Scripts and the station sounds like someone is around and is personally running it and it's not just a juke box.

Sorry, if I'm rambling ...BUT If I select MYSQL in the reconfig, and I have installed and activated Maria, WILL SAM proceed to finish the process and recognize Maria as a DB manager? This whole thing of an external DB management tool is something I do not understand. Don't know everything. I DO KNOW that something has to index the music files, so the computer knows where they are located on the HDD. Am I close to guessing why there has to be an external DB management?
Thanks
Fred

PostPosted: January 16th, 2018, 7:45 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

We can guide you through the setup with MariaDB as well.
The setup of either MariaDB or MySQL will only guide you through creating a password and installing the server service into windows.
Unless I'm mistaken, neither installer will ask you to create a non-privileged user and/or a database. (It's been quite a while since I last set up a MySQL/MariaDB server on a Windows machine)
SAM won't even try to create it's own database. (Usually Database servers aren't accessed from an admin/root account, except for administrative & maintenance tasks. A normal user wouldn't have the permission to create a new database, though.)

You can either create a database using a graphical management tool you'll have to get first. (MySQL comes with MySQL Workbench if you use the All in One installer for the community/GA version found here: https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/windows ... r/5.7.html - you only need one of the two downloads offered there, if the machine where you install it is always online, you can choose either, otherwise use the second - on the following page just click no thanks below the login/signup buttons)

I did a video guide for the setup a few years ago when you still had to download and install the server and the tools separately. You can most likely install everything with the default/typical settings these days. This will most likely install additional things that you don't need, but it doesn't hurt SAM either.
https://youtu.be/kJU5f3nZYtI?t=5m20s (At 5m20s MySQL Server and Workbench are installed and Workbench is started. From there on it guides you through creating a new database and user for SAM and reconfiguring SAM to use MySQL/MariaDB instead of Firebird. Everything in the 5 minutes before that is just downloading and installing MySQL Server and Workbench with custom/detailed settings, again unneccessary if you just use typical settings and memorize your root password)

Or you can do it using the commandline and using SQL (a structured language to ask a database for information or insert information into one) and the commandline tools that come with your database server.
Most people in the online radio community are afraid or even frightened of using the commandline. (Mostly copy and paste, but you will need to adjust the path to your system. Especially because the name of the MySQL folder has the version number that changes every few weeks in it)
If you'd like to try that, I'll be glad to give the instructions, but I won't bother to write that down if you're not interested.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 3:51 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Hello Mastacheata...
I would like to focus on my first thought of changing to Maria. And reconfigure SAM to recognize Maria and bite the bullet and go through the 'process'. This will be for the computer that's online 24/7 for the automated side of my Hard Implosion station.
The computer that I use SAM for LIVE broadcasts will become my general online computer and recording audio computer. Celeron chip is slow and choked up running SAM and a Stereo Tool plug-in. I clicked OFF all of SAM's processors and used the Stereo Tool plug-in, in the MIXER and then the stuttering audio started. Creator of Stereo Tool said that the Celeron chip is not fast enough....Looking at Youtube videos for SAM. Folks using the newer versions of SAM find the audio processing is superb and Stereo-Tool might be a waste of time.
soooooooooo, I'm going to do what I typed below for the NEW LIVE show computer running SAM:::::
I'm gonna start from scratch and install SAM on a faster computer. Intel 3 core. Previous computer was 'contaminated with useless efforts to run RadioDJ and may have traces of MYSQL and MARIA DB in it. Heard that it's hard to flush remains of MYSQL out of a system, once it's installed.
Gonna do a fresh start install of Maria and SAM. I'll need advice to get SAM to see Maria DB in the faster computer.

I'll be thankful for your guidance for SAM to be reconfigured in one computer to recognize Maria and then in the fresh install on the faster computer to recognize Maria.

In the meantime; I can use the slower computer to keep me on the air until the massive move to a fresh faster computer, and the 'reconfiguration' of my main 24/7 computer are ready to use. Copying events and clockwheels are nothing. Just drag the CWF's around where I need them.

Thanks
Fred

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 7:35 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Events are stored in the Database, though. (This is mostly relevant for the times and for the Add Files to Queue type events, which will be completely lost)
Installing vs moving is pretty much the same steps when you're not trying to migrate the data from one DB to the other.
You still need a separate user and database. (Technically it works with root as well, but as I stressed above, that's strongly discouraged due to the inherent security risks associated with that)

My Project:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 7:42 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

OK...Events are in both computers and I can re-write them, if they're lost. I'm now downloading Maria in the fast computer and installing SAM. When SAM asks for a DB I select MYSQL and have the HDD with all of the music libraries connected and see what happens?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 7:46 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Since MYSQL and Maria are basically the same thing, the fresh install should fly. Reconfiguring the 24/7 computer needs your advice.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 8:39 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Hello There seems to be success with fresh install of SAM in fast computer and Maria running. SAM needed the root password I gave MariaDB and she's running. Created all of the 4 libraries I play from and the external 4TB drive recognized. We're rockin and rollin.....I hope
When I hit enter the music play instantly, instead of the creepy delay, making me sound like crap when I'm live. Factory settings for the processing seem great. AGC has too much gain. I hear audio changing in a quiet passage of music.
I'll give this a trial run and get my clockwheels over to the new computer and see what happens when I get it running 24/7, while I re-create SAM in the original the 24/7 computer. I'll follow your instructions from your first reply to call up SAM-BC and reconfigure or might just do a fresh re-install of that one too and download Maria in that computer.
Fred

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 6:51 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Just be aware that you're pretty much working against all the typical AV protection and stuff on your computer when any permanently/often running software has root access to the database server (which by design runs as a service and with admin rights)

My Project:

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 11:19 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Then that would apply to every internet radio station on the planet.
I would think that the firewall from my router and PC-MATIC running in all computers would protect me. The folks up to no-good are attacking government computers and attack some country's power grid, or stealing money.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 4:23 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Obviously targeted attacks go for governments and large companies.
The big money in hacking these days is with encrypting your computer's data for ransom or just directly mining crypto-currencies on your computer (This isn't about capturing one computer, but more like bring a couple hundred under your control for a good monthly income or a couple thousand to become rich)

fredboogie wrote:
Then that would apply to every internet radio station on the planet.

Not all on the planet, but a significant amount, yes.
There's a reason these typical encryption trojans often affect ten thousands of computers.

My Project:

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 10:51 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Ok. I'm getting closer to reconfiguring the online 24/7 SAM. Got to get all events and clockwheels over to the LIVE SHOW SAM.
Your instructions were a guide to get this done. But found out a lot easier way to RE-configure SAM BC Pro. FIRST make sure SAM is not running.
Go to the drive that has the program files for SAMBC. Usually in the (x86) folder. Open SAM folder and scroll down to RECONFIGURE and double click there and you're ready to rock. I'll download the un-complicated MARIADB and assign a root pass word and THEN proceed with reconfigure of SAM; select MYSQL and there will be a little back and forth with SAM saying it can't find a database and then it coughs up a screen looking for the root password. Should be success and now is ready to start seeing your music.
I plugged in the drive with all of the libraries on it and proceed restoring the categories and events in SAM and re-create the music into SAM. I was just taking a slow cautious process to take it step by step and not corrupt any files in SAM or my music libraries.
Seems like searching and bringing up songs to play is faster. MARIA and MYSQL are the exact same thing. MARIA is open source and not complicated as MYSQL is or was. Same computer language, same syntax, etc etc.
Fred

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 12:17 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

MySQL and MariaDB are both open source, that's the sole reason why MariaDB can exist.
They just forked the sourcecode from MySQL and added/changed a few things (they take new stuff from MySQL and put it into MariaDB all the time).

There is a paid-for version of MySQL as well, but if you can afford that you can usually just switch to a full Oracle or IBM DB2 or SAP MaxDB database as well. (MySQL standard is 2.000 USD minimum/yr and server with up to 4 cpu sockets, enterprise/cluster goes up to 65.000 USD for the Cluster edition / yr and server with 5 CPU sockets)

My Project:

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2018, 3:15 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Getting the technology to play with my ordinary PC and the hurdles with software compatibility and WIN 10 is enough for me. Not interested in CPU sockets and clusters. Life is too short.
Now I'll see about the PAL scripts and if they can start working..Got to pay my license fee to BMI.
later......
Fred