Skip to Content
It is currently December 10th, 2018, 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 2:26 am 
New User
New User

Hi

I'm a SAM Broadcaster user since 2007 and I'm regulary paying my subscription every year to get the last version. I often think that I could safely not update SAM, also because the features more or less are the same for some time.

The other reason that does not push me to update is the lack of detail of the new features released.
For example, ased on the change-log page (http://download.spacial.com/changelog/s ... gelog.html) I can see in SAM 2018.4:

* Smarter 6-phase stream content-type detection for improved stream decoding.
* Stream redirect support.

What improvements are these? How can I find more details?
Why although I pay money every year, I can not find something more explanatory that gives value to my money spent?

I chose these two points but scrolling the same page I could find others in previous versions.

Thanks

Regards
Lorenzo

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

OFM wrote:
* Smarter 6-phase stream content-type detection for improved stream decoding.

What exactly a 6-phase stream content-type detection is I have no idea, but in general this is a bugfix for playing back HTTP streams in SAM.
Apparently sometimes the MIME-type reported by the stream isn't correct (i.e.: The server might report text/html, but instead deliver audio/mpeg)
In those cases SAM has to guess what module to use for decoding the stream and playing it back.
You obviously can't use the AAC Decoder to decode an MP3 stream and trusting the HTTP headers, that it's playing an HTML stream is quite obviously a bad idea.
So now they apparently use some heuristic to detect the proper type of an HTTP stream and then try to find the right decoder for the actual format instead of the format reported.

OFM wrote:
* Stream redirect support.

Let's say you rented stream hosting from $superCheapStreamhost and they tell you the URL for your stream is http://192.168.0.77:6789/stream?sid=1337

That's not a nice URL to remember for your listeners is it?
It's also not easy to remember and prone to typos for the DJs doing shows on your station, right?

But you have your own cool domain name and a free subdomain included like: stream.myowncooldomain.com

Now you tell your webhost to set up a redirect for that URL to point to the one given by your streamhost.
So whenever someone opens stream.myowncooldomain.com they're instead forwarded to 192.168.0.77:6789/stream?sid=1337
That's nice and works for your webbrowser as it knows about those kind of things ever since the early 90s, but most streaming software never bothered to fully implement the HTTP/web browsing standards. Instead those would simply open the stream.myowncooldomain.com URL and hope to get the stream or login form as a reply and everything else would simply be discarded as an error.

That was also the case with SAM. If you got anything but a Status Code 200 for your stream, it would say, no that's an error.
Now it supports redirects (status codes 302 and 301) as well and will follow those redirects.

IIRC that was only a problem for the encoder and never for software DEcoding/playing back online streams.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2018, 9:08 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

OFM wrote:
Why although I pay money every year, I can not find something more explanatory that gives value to my money spent?

I'd say about 90% of all the improvements in SAM Broadcaster ever since the release of 2013.1 are just bugfixes.
If you did encounter the problem fixed in a certain version, your support person would've told you that this was now fixed with the next update.
If you didn't encounter the problem that was fixed in a certain version, you might not understand the changelog entry, but it's most likely not applicable to your situation anyway.

OFM wrote:
I chose these two points but scrolling the same page I could find others in previous versions.

Feel free to ask here for other not so obvious stuff as well, maybe we can help find it out together.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode