Skip to Content
It is currently October 15th, 2019, 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dropping Database
PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 11:57 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I am using Sam 1915.5 with mysql database 5.7.23

This problem appears to have suddenly popped up out of the blue as Sam has been playing well for months (probably years). Just a few days ago, Sam suddenly stopped playing. I assumed the database had somehow become corrupt and ended up reinstalling Sam to repair the database and get it all up and running again.

However just this morning, I have wakened to find Sam had crashed again during the night. This time before reinstalling I went to have a look at the database and was surprised to find it didn´t exist. The entire database had been dropped!!

I have no idea were to start to find the reason for this. Has anyone any suggestions

I have reinstalled Sam and re-created the Database, so I am back up and running. I am trying to find the cause as I get the feeling this is only a temporary repair.

Post subject: Re: Dropping Database
PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 7:03 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

That's not a recognizable SAM version, typo? Anyway hopefully you secured your sql logins to prevent external hack? Such as changing the password to something complex and change it regularly and not allow root to login anywhere but locally. Is there nothing in your error log or sql error log?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 7:50 am 
Senior User
Senior User

The only other number version I can see on the system is build 58738

This system is only used locally. I use wamp server. And serve the web site as well. The web site is then iframed into a much bigger wordpress site.

I have tried changing passwords in the past as I was victim of request abuse one time. I can never figure out exactly which files i need to change in Sam to get it to recognize a change in password. I have always had to set it back to the original to keep the system working as no matter which config files I changed it would not log into the database

There are errors in the error log, but I don´t actually understand what they mean

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 8:04 am 
Senior User
Senior User

UPDATE: I have just found the problem and you are correct, I have been hacked. There is a threat in my database demanding bit coin in return for my lost data. Could you please guide me in the steps necessary to secure this please.

I have managed this time to create a password for the root account, but there seems to be more I need to do.

To explain a little more I serve this on my local machine for the purpose of making changes etc to the website offline. There is an identical copy then uploaded to an external machine, which is the one that carries a SSl Certificate and I them iframe that to include it in a wordpress site.

After changing my password, I had to change the config files on both Sam and samweb files to get it all running again. However the external web server is still able to serve the site without any changes so the database must still be accessible without the password. It seems I have only protected the database from myself lol. Please help as this stuff really confuses me.

I think I have it all sorted except I cannot connect with Sam Reporter. still need help