Skip to Content
It is currently March 2nd, 2021, 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: five questions
PostPosted: October 12th, 2020, 2:46 pm 
Super User
Super User

I'm running SAM 4.9.8 with Firebird/HTML using Windows 7.

1. I put a SAM shortcut into the startup folder, and set the Encoder to start 5 seconds after launch. When I have to reboot remotely, SAM launches on startup, as do the Encoder and Stats Relay. However, I cannot figure out to get the Players to start. When running on another machine, this was never a problem. How do I get the Players to start automatically when SAM starts?

2. I have a lot of duplicates in Tracks in Selected Category. I Select All, then right-click, but Delete Duplicates in the drop-down is greyed out. How do I delete duplicates in my music tracks?

3. My Station IDs now run after every eighth track. I tried adding SFXs right after the Station IDs, but everything got screwed up. How do I set the clockwheel so eight tracks play, a Station ID comes on, then an SFX, then back to eight more tracks? I watched the YouTube, followed carefully, but something went wrong.

4. Since I revived a used Windows 7 laptop for this, I get numerous messages to update my Windows 7. Obviously, if this is for Windows 10, not possible as SAM 4 is incompatible. But if it's for bug fixes, etc., should I bother? SAM is so fragile, I worry that updates can sometimes have annoying side effects.

5. Sometimes applications, routers, ISPs, or power will just crash. Understood. But every couple of days, something in between life and death occurs in my set-up. The station will be running fine, with lots of listeners I can see on my Shoutcast stream control panel. Despite that, there are these strange symptoms: 1) Queue is empty, 2) Stats Relay is Off and Force Update has no effect, 3) all Requests get rejected with Rules violations that do not apply to the track I requested, and 4) the laptop shows as Online in my remote application, but when I click it, it tries, and I get a "laptop cannot connect with router" error message. Meanwhile, the station plays music and listeners are tuning in. The only thing I can do to remedy next time I can access the laptop, is reboot it, to get everything to work properly. I've never had a problem like this.

Post subject: Re: five questions
PostPosted: October 14th, 2020, 3:18 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dj001 wrote:
I'm running SAM 4.9.8 with Firebird/HTML using Windows 7.

1. I put a SAM shortcut into the startup folder, and set the Encoder to start 5 seconds after launch. When I have to reboot remotely, SAM launches on startup, as do the Encoder and Stats Relay. However, I cannot figure out to get the Players to start. When running on another machine, this was never a problem. How do I get the Players to start automatically when SAM starts?

Settings => General => Auto Recovery

Quote:
2. I have a lot of duplicates in Tracks in Selected Category. I Select All, then right-click, but Delete Duplicates in the drop-down is greyed out. How do I delete duplicates in my music tracks?

It's technically impossible to have dupes in the ...(All) categories. Just refresh the category and any duplicate listings should go away.

Quote:
3. My Station IDs now run after every eighth track. I tried adding SFXs right after the Station IDs, but everything got screwed up. How do I set the clockwheel so eight tracks play, a Station ID comes on, then an SFX, then back to eight more tracks? I watched the YouTube, followed carefully, but something went wrong.

Code:
Cat['Music (All)'].QueueBottom(smLRPA, NoRules);

Cat['Station IDs (All)'].QueueBottom(smWeighted, EnforceRules);

Cat['Sound FX (All)'].QueueBottom(smWeighted, EnforceRules);

Adjust selection methods, categories and rule enforcement to your personal likes.

Quote:
4. Since I revived a used Windows 7 laptop for this, I get numerous messages to update my Windows 7. Obviously, if this is for Windows 10, not possible as SAM 4 is incompatible. But if it's for bug fixes, etc., should I bother? SAM is so fragile, I worry that updates can sometimes have annoying side effects.

Windows 7 is insecure! It's basically an open invitation to make your computer part of a botnet used for spamming others or for encrypting the harddrive of said computer and all other machines accessible in the network for ransom.
If you must run Windows 7 for some reason, run it offline and don't connect that computer to the internet or any internal network with internet connectivity.

If that's not an option either: Upgrade your computers/software.
If that's not an option for you: Be aware of the warnings and don't complain if you got hacked/if your files got encrypted and they're asking for Hundreds/thousands of Euros in Bitcoin.

Quote:
5. Sometimes applications, routers, ISPs, or power will just crash. Understood. But every couple of days, something in between life and death occurs in my set-up. The station will be running fine, with lots of listeners I can see on my Shoutcast stream control panel. Despite that, there are these strange symptoms: 1) Queue is empty, 2) Stats Relay is Off and Force Update has no effect, 3) all Requests get rejected with Rules violations that do not apply to the track I requested, and 4) the laptop shows as Online in my remote application, but when I click it, it tries, and I get a "laptop cannot connect with router" error message. Meanwhile, the station plays music and listeners are tuning in. The only thing I can do to remedy next time I can access the laptop, is reboot it, to get everything to work properly. I've never had a problem like this.

Too many factors to assess what's wrong here.
It might be a software problem (but there's too much software to know which one unless you notice a pattern with other things not working), it might be a hardware problem (RAM and harddisks come to mind => You can check the HDD via SMART and memory via memtest) or it might just be a temperature problem (if the machine is running 24/7 and is old, it might help cleaning the fans/interior)

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 7:16 am 
Super User
Super User

4. I run SAM 4.9.6, so I am stuck with Windows 7. My question is it OK to ignore requests to update 7, as my SAM is fragile?

5. Crystal Disk rates the laptop as Good 100%, running at 43C, worst being 58. The memtest window is about creating and writing an image of a USB drive, not analyzing memory. Please share a link to the software you mean. Maybe I am missing something.

6. How do I change my station name in Audiorealm? When I log in to my Spacialnet station dashboard, I don't see any way to do that. Maybe I am missing something.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2020, 7:34 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dj001 wrote:
4. I run SAM 4.9.6, so I am stuck with Windows 7. My question is it OK to ignore requests to update 7, as my SAM is fragile?

Win 7 is insecure and it's a huge risk. That doesn't mean you will inevitably get hacked or everything will automatically fail, but the chances are high.

Quote:
5. Crystal Disk rates the laptop as Good 100%, running at 43C, worst being 58. The memtest window is about creating and writing an image of a USB drive, not analyzing memory. Please share a link to the software you mean. Maybe I am missing something.

https://www.memtest86.com/

Memtest is not a software that runs in Windows, but more like an operating system. You can't test your memory while Windows is blocking half of the memory for itself. That's why Memtest creates a bootable USB, you boot from that USB and then it writes random data until all your memory is full and will then try to read the data back. To be safe this runs for a couple hours at least.

Quote:
6. How do I change my station name in Audiorealm? When I log in to my Spacialnet station dashboard, I don't see any way to do that. Maybe I am missing something.

No idea, I can't even remember my login details for that website. Haven't used it in over 10 years.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: October 19th, 2020, 6:06 am 
Super User
Super User

Mastacheata wrote:
(if the machine is running 24/7 and is old, it might help cleaning the fans/interior)
How do I clean up the fans/interior?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2020, 8:22 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dj001 wrote:
Mastacheata wrote:
(if the machine is running 24/7 and is old, it might help cleaning the fans/interior)
How do I clean up the fans/interior?

Not sure how you go about cleaning things from dust in the US, but here in Europe we usually use a vacuum cleaner for that.

My Project: