Skip to Content
It is currently December 3rd, 2021, 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 16th, 2021, 7:06 am 
New User
New User

Hi everyone,

Have our radio station's clockwheel set up to play tunes, promos and jingles and is finally playing beautifully.

We also have scheduled events every 15 mins (ads, station/show promos etc) and they play fine too!

However, one that scheduled event plays, it boots out the next item due to be played on the clockwheel rotation.

Apart from that everything is fine and dandy.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

We're running 2018.2 at the station, although my own version is 2012.4, which doesn't affect this really, lol,

PostPosted: August 17th, 2021, 3:55 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

It depends on what your clockwheel and your scheduled event do.
Unless you show both, this is like looking into a magic crystal ball and telling your fortune.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: August 17th, 2021, 6:46 am 
New User
New User

That makes perfect sense. thanks. And seeing as I am clean out of crystal balls, let me copy some coding into this post. :)

First, a section from our clockwheel:

Code:
{# 1980s HERE #}
Cat['1980s'].QueueBottom(smRandom, NoRules);
Cat['Rotation 80s Jingles'].QueueBottom(smRandom, NoRules);
Dir['F:\Vitalize\Jingles\Rotation Jingles Promo'].QueueBottom(smRandom, NoRules);
Cat['Your Song 2021'].QueueBottom(smRandom, NoRules);
Cat['VR Jingles (May 2021)'].QueueBottom(smRandom, NoRules);

Typically, the above repeats 16 times, but for other genres.

Then from the Schedules events, here's the coding for our Adblock:

Code:
Queue.AddFile('F:\Vitalize\Documents\Advertising\AD BLOCKS\2020\Vitalize - Adblock 2020-12-06.mp3',ipBottom);

This adds to the queue at 00:29:30 and every hour after that

(There are 2 other events, but they use similar coding...each time, replacing the next clockwheel file due to play)

Another event is:

Code:
Cat['Tune Of The Week'].QueueBottom(smWeighted, EnforceRules);

This is scheduled to play every 2 hours, from 00:56:30 onwards

PostPosted: August 17th, 2021, 6:13 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I have a few more questions as I don't see anything wrong with this setup that would cause the problems you described.

How many tracks (if any) do you keep in the queue?
Why do you put the scheduled tracks to the bottom of the queue? I mean that's not causing your issues, but it's still strange. Usually you schedule stuff so it plays around or at a precise moment, but adding it to the bottom of the queue leaves a lot of room for problems and uncertainty about when (and if the track will play - because you could be adding more stuff on top of the queue all the time for example)

Is there a Queue.Clear command in any of your clockwheel files or scheduled events?
Are there any PAL scripts running that might have said command in them?

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: August 18th, 2021, 2:06 am 
New User
New User

Thanks again, for your reply. :)

Mastacheata wrote:
How many tracks (if any) do you keep in the queue?

Nothing is kept in the queue.

Quote:
Why do you put the scheduled tracks to the bottom of the queue? I mean that's not causing your issues, but it's still strange. Usually you schedule stuff so it plays around or at a precise moment, but adding it to the bottom of the queue leaves a lot of room for problems and uncertainty about when (and if the track will play - because you could be adding more stuff on top of the queue all the time for example)

That's a great question, as I have never thought that deeply about it as the queue is empty during Auto DJ broadcasts. What setting would you recommend?

Quote:
Is there a Queue.Clear command in any of your clockwheel files or scheduled events?

No. Only our presenters "fill" up the queue for their shows.

Quote:
Are there any PAL scripts running that might have said command in them?

No, I have yet to dip my finger into the ocean that is PAL scripts, lol.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 2:24 am 
New User
New User

Hi again. :)

We still have this issue plaguing our rotation if anyone can help?

When a schedule event is triggered, it seems to replace what was next to play on the clockwheel.

The coding is the same as above, apart from the fact we now enforce rules for songs played on rotation (it was previously "no rules") due to repetition. However, the problem persists.

I appreciate all assistance to date (and what's to come) ;)

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2021, 4:22 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Quote:
When a schedule event is triggered, it seems to replace what was next to play on the clockwheel.

Ok, this is a different scenario than kicking of what's currently playing.

Scenario: Clockwheel with A, B, C, D and your currently playing a track from B and would expect the next song to be from C if there was no event.
As you have no tracks in queue, what should happen is the scheduled track (let's call it Z) will be placed in the queue and is the only element in the queue.
Therefore: After B is finished, C will not play, but instead Z will play and only then C will play.

Do you now say that it skips one line of your clockwheel due to another track being picked by the Event (i.e. C doesn't play at all, but the order is now ...,A,B,Z,D,A,B,C,D,...)?
That would indeed be very strange and not the way I'd expect clockwheel rotation to work.

My Project:

PostPosted: August 24th, 2021, 2:08 am 
New User
New User

Mastacheata wrote:
Quote:

Ok, this is a different scenario than kicking of what's currently playing.

Scenario: Clockwheel with A, B, C, D and your currently playing a track from B and would expect the next song to be from C if there was no event.
As you have no tracks in queue, what should happen is the scheduled track (let's call it Z) will be placed in the queue and is the only element in the queue.
Therefore: After B is finished, C will not play, but instead Z will play and only then C will play.

Do you now say that it skips one line of your clockwheel due to another track being picked by the Event (i.e. C doesn't play at all, but the order is now ...,A,B,Z,D,A,B,C,D,...)?
That would indeed be very strange and not the way I'd expect clockwheel rotation to work.

Absolutely!

Exactly!

Couldn't have put it better myself. :D

For some reason C doesn't play after Z. It moves on to D.

I can see this happen in real time when I watch the ">" arrow head move down the list, to the left of the clockwheel coding. When Z is triggered, the arrow head moves down to the next line, omitting C.

This is preventing me from adding more events as I'd rather have any clockwheel components skipped.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2021, 10:29 am 
New User
New User

Just an update for this thread for anyone else who happens to have this problem in the future...

After a little period of to-ing and fro-ing with technical support (who was exceedingly patient with me), it was suggested to change "keep X songs in the queue" setting to "5" as opposed to "0" (Config > Playlist Rotation Rules). This did the trick, although I eventually reduced it to "1" song in the queue as it was less intrusive with our live shows.

It's been working perfectly ever since.