Skip to Content
It is currently February 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 17th, 2008, 4:15 am 
Senior User
Senior User

At the moment, my djs come on the air via a PAL SCRIPT. (That waits for them to click the link). I want them to be able to see the SAM's PC real time on the WEB PAGE. so they can click it to the nearest Half hour.

This can be helpful also when showing your LISTENERS
that JOHN is on the air at 10:00 clock, the listener can see the PC TIME on the webpage say oh it is 9:54 Eastern where the radio resides. it can be off by about a minute i guess. BUT to display the PC time (RADIO TIME).

PostPosted: November 17th, 2008, 8:21 am 
Alumni
Alumni

There will always be some network delay, from a few seconds to a minute or more.

I suggest you do as ham radio operators do; everyone use UTC and sync to a common time reference. Solves that whole pesky time zone problem.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: November 17th, 2008, 7:44 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I’d suggest keeping all machines sync’ed using NTP stratum 2 (or 3) time server pools (should be exact enough). Since some PC clocks drift a lot, we recommend to our users to sync every hour, and actually distribute a small .reg file (for Windows) to them that sets the correct time servers (not Windows!) and the update interval to one hour.

Here’s an example of »set time.reg« for North America:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters]
"NtpServer"="north-america.pool.ntp.org,0x1"
"Type"="NTP"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]
"Enabled"=dword:00000001
"InputProvider"=dword:00000001
"SpecialPollInterval"=dword:00000e10

You might want to check out the NTP Pool Servers page for more details. The tend to be a reliable source, since there usally several hundred servers in any one pool. (If you are not in North America, please select another appropriate pool.)

You can just copy the code into a text file, save it as »something_appropriate.reg«, double-click the file and answer »yes« to the security question.

Hint: If there is a long update interval currently set (which is usually the case), it will do the first update only after the current interval has expired. Rebooting helps ;-)

Hint: It also helps a lot if the servers are sync’ed to reliable NTP sources. Ask your provider, or set up the same NTP settings on your Linux server (a snap).

PostPosted: November 18th, 2008, 1:56 am 
Senior User
Senior User

so each of the DJS are to run this file and we would all pretty much be linked to the similar time. correct?

So then the next thing is. How to have the a typical WEBSITE display the TIME. of the PC, i know there is ways to show ETA of a song coming up and such, what about display the PCS time or "SAM's TIME?