Skip to Content
It is currently January 23rd, 2020, 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 9:52 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Greetings!

I am in the process of testing the request feature that was bundled with Sam Pro 2013.
I plan on integrating this feature and a few others into my current websites. The problem I am running into is Audio Realm is trying to send the request to my internal IP. I am using a Linksys E2500 and tried setting up port forwarding using Sam Broadcaster as the app. No luck!

These are the pages I am testing:
http://www.80spartymachine.com/sam/nowplaying.html
http://www.80spartymachine.com/sam/playing.html
http://www.80spartymachine.com/sam/playlist0.html

Not sure if I need to set up an account with Audio Realm or if it's some other issue.
Both station are broadcast using Live365, just so you know what hosting company I stream with. I did contact my hosting company and asked if port 1221 was blocked, and it was. They opened port 1221 to my URL 80spartymachine.com.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I remember seeing an area where it showed my local IP in Sam somewhere, but cannot remember where that was.

Thanks!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 10:09 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

You need to change the _config.htm and manually set the correct host there.
The default setting is to determine the IP automatically (the setting is set to something like $host$ - I can't tell the real value as I'm on my tablet-pc that doesn't have SAM installed yet).
That doesn't work on a NAT'ed home network and will always make the setting use the private IP. You'll have to set this value by hand to either your public IP (if that is static) or a dynamic hostname (you'll need to register one and eiher install the client or set up your router to automatically update the hostname every time your IP changes).

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 12:23 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

OK. I messed with my router and set it to static IP from DHCP, but that made me lose internet entirely. Advance network setup is new to me, but I enjoy a challenge.

I did a little research and if I am understanding your post, I will need to basically buy a host name from a service like http://dyn.com/dns/ , right?

I am researching now. Will keep you updated.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 1:47 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

OK, I think I have it working now. I will keep testing and ensure it continues to work.

I appreciate your help, I just hope I remember what I did to get it to work to do it on my broadcast PC's LOL.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 2:23 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

buzzcon wrote:
OK. I messed with my router and set it to static IP from DHCP, but that made me lose internet entirely.

That's a whole different "static IP" thing.
What I meant is that the Public IP you receive from your ISP is never going to change. A dynamic IP on the other side means that your Computer/Router receives a different IP every time it connects again or every 24 hours if no reconnect is neccessary. The name static IP is a common nmae, but not a technical term inthis situation.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 2:45 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Yeah, I figured that out. I try and learn things so I can be self sufficient. The internet is filled with info, it's just typing the correct phrase to get what you want that is the trick.

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 7:11 pm 
New User
New User

"OK. I messed with my router and set it to static IP from DHCP, but that made me lose internet entirely."

I can't help but chim in here, as susposedly I'm supposed to know about IP address (I've a computer networking certification). Just to help out a bit and clear things up, static IP and DHCP are opposites. The "D" in DHCP is the clue. The "D" stands for Dynamic.

Static IP = the IP address never changes
Dynamic IP = the IP address automatically changes

Now, with that being said, both a public IP address and a private IP address can be static or dynamic. If you have a router/switch, then your router/switch likely has the ability to hand out IP address statically or dynamically. For the purpose of SAM Broadcaster, I would very much recommend that you go into your router/switch and assign a static IP address to your computer, so that you don't have to keep on checking the IP address to make sure it hasn't changed. For example, I've dedicated static IP address 192.168.0.108 to my computer that is hosting SAM Broadcaster. Problem solved. Now I never need to worry about the IP address. Furthermore, this also makes the task of port forwarding to port 1221 very easy. Now I know that I will always be port forwarding to 192.168.0.108:1221

The public IP address is the IP address that is dealed out by your internet service provider (ISP). I can almost guarantee that the public IP address is dynamic, so it will change every so often. In fact, this is precisely why it's good to have a router/switch, so that you can get around this issue of the public IP address changing every now and then. Other solutions would be to setup a Dynamic DNS server, but that's much less common than having a router/switch. The last option would be to pay for business class support from your ISP, but that just doesn't make any sense, because it's very expensive, so anybody in their right mind would just go ahead and get a router/switch instead.

Happy broadcasting!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 7:51 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

What I did was ask my hosting company to open port 1221, and they did.

Then, I set up my test PC with a static IP.

Signed up for Dynamic DNS at http://dyn.com/remote-access/

Made sure port 1221 (for Sam) AND 5900 (for the Dynamic Updater) was open on the PC.

Installed dyn.com's Dynamic Updater. Not sure if I need this because of the next sentence, but it works this way, so that's how I'm gonna leave it.

My router is set up to work with this service and updates automatically.

The Dynamic DNS service costs $25/year and allows 30 host names. They also have step by step instructions on how to set everything up. Relatively easy for a guy who has never tinkered with this type of stuff. Once I signed up, it took me 20 minutes to configure it to work.

I am gonna run the test set up til tomorrow and then get both broadcast PCs set up Saturday when listener numbers are a bit lower.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 8:10 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

JeremyCanfield wrote:
I can't help but chim in here, as susposedly I'm supposed to know about IP address (I've a computer networking certification).

You supposedly are supposed to know about IP addresses. But only supposed to be :wink: . Because some of what you said here is definitely wrong.
You made some major confusions while trying to simplify things and as a result end up with something that no longer has anything to do with the reality.

I've quoted a few of your sentences and added some technical comments to the major problems. I hope to have written this in a way that everyone can understand it, but when I get into technical stuff I lose track very easily and go way too much into detail.

--

JeremyCanfield wrote:
Just to help out a bit and clear things up, static IP and DHCP are opposites. The "D" in DHCP is the clue. The "D" stands for Dynamic.

Static IP = the IP address never changes
Dynamic IP = the IP address automatically changes

The D in DHCP is not referring to the IP address! It's referring to the process of configuring a network device.
This process can either be static or dynamic. Static means the device that wants to connect to the network needs to know all/most settings of the network in advance and stores these itself. Even in a static IP configuration, you can change the IP address at any time.
The dynamic process requires no/very little knowledge about the network in advance. The device connects to the network and looks around to identify other devices. The DHCP server will then hand out an IP address (and a few other configuration settings, typically the netmask and the gateway address are included in a DHCP message as well, but there's a bunch of optional stuff) to the new device. This new device does not need to know that IP address (or the other network settings) in advance, but it could very well receive the same IP address every time it connects to this network.

This has nothing to do with whether the IP will change or not. The problem is that a non-changing public IP address is usually referred to as static IP, which leads to confusions like this, while actually meaning something completely different.

JeremyCanfield wrote:
The public IP address is the IP address that is dealed out by your internet service provider (ISP). I can almost guarantee that the public IP address is dynamic, so it will change every so often.

That's way too general. I know at least 4 or 5 ISPs here in germany off the top of my head that deal out never-changing IP addresses. (My ISP for example maps IP addresses to MAC addresses of the device connected to my cable modem and I can get a new IP only if I fake the MAC address of my router's WAN port)
IP addresses in general do not change as long as a device is connected. Since a couple of years, especially since flatrates are the common tariff for internet connections you usually have an always-on and always-connected router device (Usually at a consumer connection you have a device that handles at least the functionality of 3 seperate technical devices: Router, Switch, NAT. It's pretty common to include one or two more functions: WLAN-Accesspoint and VoIP PBX)
A couple of years ago (at least in germany) it was commonplace to have a forced disconnect every 24 hours, but the ISPs have since noticed that this won't reduce the number of addresses in use by their customers and will most certainly not keep people from offering server-services to the internet.

JeremyCanfield wrote:
In fact, this is precisely why it's good to have a router/switch, so that you can get around this issue of the public IP address changing every now and then.

If you're force-disconnected every now and then, it doesn't matter if you have a router or a single computer connected to the modem. Both will be disconnected and receive a new IP upon reconnect.
The router will also not help with offering a service like the SAM HTTP handler. You still need to make the public IP address of your home network known to the website. If you've got a changing IP address, you have 2 options. #1 Everytime the IP changes, update the config file for samHTMLweb and upload the new generated template files to the webserver. #2 Enter a dynamic hostname and let your computer or router handle the updating of the name => IP mapping. Think of hostnames/domain names as entries in a phonebook. Noone wants to remember the phone numbers when remembering names is so much easier. So you simply look up the "phone number" for google.com instead of remembering the actual number (64.15.112.151)

Dyn.com was the de-facto standard until they closed their free service to new users. Sadly dyn.com is also the only service supported in most cheap routers.
Nowadays there are hundreds of competing services available that work the same way, but just use a different base-address.
If there is no service supported in your router, you can still download the PC client software from a service of your choice and that will permanently monitor your connection and update the hostname if needed.
The biggest remaining competitor to Dyn.com seems to be No-Ip.org these days, but if you just do a web search for "Dynamic DNS" that should bring up some more to choose from.

My Project:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 8:46 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

buzzcon wrote:
Installed dyn.com's Dynamic Updater. Not sure if I need this because of the next sentence, but it works this way, so that's how I'm gonna leave it.

My router is set up to work with this service and updates automatically.

The Dynamic DNS service costs $25/year and allows 30 host names. They also have step by step instructions on how to set everything up. Relatively easy for a guy who has never tinkered with this type of stuff. Once I signed up, it took me 20 minutes to configure it to work.

If you set up your router to do the updating for you, there's no need for the updater software to run or have an open port.
I would also strongly suggest deciding for one of both as they could otherwise get in conflict with each other. (The worst that can happen is having the "old" IP set for a few seconds to minutes until the software updater notices the change and updates again. The router thing does not need to monitor anything and will only ever do anything when the router's internet connection was closed/reset)

If your router supports other services as well, or if you're willing to run such an updater software anyways, you could switch to one of the still-free services like no-ip.org.
Dyn.com had a free tier for more than 10 years and they were the ones who gave this whole concept of a short-lived DNS name for changing consumer IP-addresses it's name. (I'm not sure if they were also the first ones offering this as a service, the technical concept is way older, though)
The company is called Dyn Inc. and the most popular hostnames they provide are all based around the "dyndns" word. (i.e. dyndns.org, dyndns.tv)

My Project:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 9:37 pm 
New User
New User

All good stuff once again Mastacheata. I sure am glad I spent those years studying networking, as your details make perfect sense to me. I'm currently studying for the computer Security exam.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2014, 9:54 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

JeremyCanfield wrote:
All good stuff once again Mastacheata. I sure am glad I spent those years studying networking, as your details make perfect sense to me. I'm currently studying for the computer Security exam.

Yes, I agree! I uninstalled the programs mentioned above and made sure the port are closed and the request system does still work.

Thank you for the info!!!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 7:33 am 
New User
New User

buzzcon, I really like the design of your pages. I'm only on my second week of using SAM Broadcaster, so I've a bit to get to get things working as I want, so I really like how you have the HTML setup. Nice.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 8:17 am 
Junior User
Junior User

JeremyCanfield wrote:
buzzcon, I really like the design of your pages. I'm only on my second week of using SAM Broadcaster, so I've a bit to get to get things working as I want, so I really like how you have the HTML setup. Nice.

Thanks, I'm on disability so I have a lot of time to work on or really screw up :wink: most anything. Being self taught, I use the trial and error method.

Update, I deleted the programs as I mentioned earlier, but about 9 pm last night, I had very limited internet access, but with this laptop only. I could basically only access Google.com.

I tried a few things, including system restore to no avail. I decided to try a winsock fix and that worked after a restart. The internet speeds are actually much better than they had been in the past.

I fired up Sam for testing, basically to see if the request feature still worked, and it didn't. I have to mention that I disabled the dyn.com service on my router as well as the port forwarding to troubleshoot. I went in this morning and enabled both and that got the request feature running again.

Not sure, but when I ran cmd function and then netstat -ab, I noticed that many of the services had * * after them signifying that some port were closed that shouldn't have been (I think). This I think caused my connectivity issue.

So, as a result, I trimmed down what I need to do to get the request feature to work on my 2 dedicated broadcast PC's down to setting up a host name for each and then setting up port forwarding for port 1221 pointing to each PC's IP.

I have about %2 of the knowledge that guys like Mastacheata and JeremyCanfield have, so I truly appreciate your help!! You guys pointed me in the right direction!!!

FYI, if you were scratching your head how I was going to implement these into my website, here is the first page I have converted. Not sure if I like the new interactive menu I made, just looks too big.

http://www.80spartymachine.com/pop/playlist.html

PostPosted: April 5th, 2014, 2:51 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Sorry for being a PITA, but I think I have another obstacle. I want to use the request feature on two broadcast PC's for two different stations. My router has settings for only one Host Name (please see attached screenshot). How can I use one Host Name and IP for two separate stations? Port forwarding opens the port on the desired machine, but the config.html would need to use the same IP.

My research so far has turned up nothing helpful.

Thanks again!