Skip to Content
It is currently February 25th, 2021, 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 28th, 2018, 9:10 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I have found a few old threads on this subject, but none that seem to give me the answer.

I have recently moved my version of Sam (pro 2015.5) to a new computer. I installed the most recent version of wamp which includes mysql 5.7.23.

I have everything running on my local machine and all back to normal.

The problem is when I upload the web files to the external server I get the error "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)"

I have checked and all ports including 3306 are open and properly forwarded etc.

In the past this has always been a simple case of uploading the files. Not sure what has changed but I have tried several ways to grant permission to the external server to access the database, none seem to work.

Can someone point me in the right direction to solve this. Please do not suggest "grant permission" or "change the dbconfig file to something other than localhost" (although I never had to do that before) or "grant remote access" or using % as a wildcard for the host.

I have been trying to do all of those for days now. I need help with "How" to do it as clearly I am not understanding the instructions I can find on other threads

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 11:15 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Its ok, I got it now. Can´t use localhost from remote. Don´t remember ever changing that before, but I suppose I must have done.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 3:39 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

dblevins wrote:
Don´t remember ever changing that before, but I suppose I must have done.

The PHP templates are the same for everyone and aren't changed at all.
There are two references to localhost in the templates:
#1 The dbconfig.xml.php -> You need to change that if the database is on a different machine than the website. If both are on the same server/virtual server/container, you don't have to change that. (Usually in a real life deployment you have the choice of pointing SAM to the database on your webhost or to point the website to the database on your Studio/SAM computer)
#2 The config.php -> You only need to change that if you want to use the requests feature and make sure to point that to the IP/DynDNS name of your SAM computer. (also make sure to forward port 1221 in your Router/NAT Gateway)

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode