Skip to Content
It is currently March 3rd, 2021, 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2020, 2:41 pm 
New User
New User

What is the latest samphpweb version?
I know it sounds like a newbie question, but here is why I am confused...

One would assume that the latest install of Sam would include the latest phpfiles.
I open the folder and check the dbconfig.xml.php file, there it says "application="SAM" version="3.4.2""
So would these php files be considered version 3.4.2? (I could not find anywhere else the mention of any version to know which are the latest)

Then you check this page:
http://support.spacialaudio.com/wiki/SamPHPweb

And they recommend you use version 4.3.2 because it is more secure.
Am I missing something here? If this file is the latest and safest, why is that one not included in the install?
Just by looking at the version numbers it does seem like the one on their retired wiki page is more up to date just by looking at those version numbers. Or are they not following a steady version system to know what is the latest or what? If the latest is the 3.4.2 that comes with the update, why have this 4.3.2 still online? Very confusing.

In a nutshell, I just need to make sure I am using the latest php files for my site but a bit confused with the bad documentation regarding php. There is nowhere (that is up to date) showing the required php server version required, or what php files are the latest, etc.

If anyone can tell me what is the latest samphpweb folder that I must have and is it compatible with php7.4 or what version php should it have? I saw a few posts mentioning php7.2, but those posts are so old that I do not know if that still applies or not. Was I correct in checking the dbconfig.xml.php file to know the file's version? Or is that totally unrelated to that samphpweb file's version?

Thank you.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2020, 6:31 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

That entry has never really meant much and is not to be relied upon as the "latest" version of the phpweb files. It does not get updated to a version. If you are on maintenance and receive regular updates to SAM it will always download the latest versions of the phpweb files to your Spacial/SAM directory. As an FYI, I updated to SAM 2020.4 on 6/6/20 and all my local phpfiles updated and my dbconfig says the same 3.4.2.

The SAM phpwebfiles were updated to be compatible with php7 in April 2018 with SAM 2018.3

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2020, 9:48 pm 
New User
New User

Thank you for the quick reply.

DJ Cassio wrote:
I updated to SAM 2020.4 on 6/6/20 and all my local phpfiles updated and my dbconfig says the same 3.4.2.

I also have the support and installed 2020.4 in June. My dbconfig says 3.4.2 as well.
I guess I have the latest then?

I was confused with that wiki page that was a higher version number that the one that comes with the install...
http://support.spacialaudio.com/wiki/SamPHPweb

They really should delete any pages that no longer apply. If that wiki is wrong, they should delete it or add a direct link to more current php info.

DJ Cassio wrote:
The SAM phpwebfiles were updated to be compatible with php7 in April 2018 with SAM 2018.3

That is a bit generic though, does that mean it also works fine with php7.4?
Many posts I find here and elsewhere, mention php7.2 as being tested and working, but then nobody ever mentions php7.3 or php7.4
Just wondering if anyone has it working on anything higher than php7.2

Again, thank you for the quick reply.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2020, 7:32 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Actually that link refers to a SAM version and not the phpwebfiles dbconfig entry.
Quote:
Since version 4.3.2 of SAM Broadcaster
. I personally do not use the samphpweb files however I am confident point releases to php7 are all supported.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2020, 7:34 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

PHP7.3 is mentioned (albeit in a hidden way) in this Post from April 2020: viewtopic.php?p=231325#p231325
I don't think there's any changes in 7.4 that would have an effect on the SAM templates.

The reason an update to the templates was needed in PHP7 was not so much due to a change in PHP (they didn't remove any functionality the templates relied on), but due to a change in error handling strategies.
Before PHP7 accessing an undefined array index would only be a notice level error and PHP would still return an empty value.
After PHP7 the error level changed and the code would stop at the error.

The error itself was already there when SAM 4.7.4 released the new templates 10 years ago, it just wasn't noticed by anyone.

I fear there might be more issues with little errors like this in the future as the code quality of the PHP templates is bad, even for the standards of 10 years ago. So expect it to break again in the next major PHP update 8.0, which is scheduled for release later this year.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode