Skip to Content
It is currently March 3rd, 2021, 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Err#: 803
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 6:49 am 
Super User
Super User

I'm running 4.9.8 on Windows 7. I just changed PCs and am getting this error message:
Quote:
Sorry, your request failed. The radio station responded with:
Unable to connect to 64.132.178.89:1221. Station might be offline, or connection is being blocked. (Err#: 803)
All the other Firebird/HTML functions are working fine. playing.html populates on Audiorealm after every song, including the Statistic Relay, and the tracks in the playlist files are up to date. I put the PC's IP and Port 21 into the _config.html file.

Post subject: Re: Err#: 803
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 7:00 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The obvious question is, is 64.132.178.89 the IP of where your SAM and database are? If so, then it it would indicate your port 1221 is not open, have you tried a simple port scan to verify it is open? https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

An outside scan says it is closed.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 7:31 am 
Super User
Super User

DJ Cassio wrote:
The obvious question is, is 64.132.178.89 the IP of where your SAM and database are? If so, then it it would indicate your port 1221 is not open, have you tried a simple port scan to verify it is open? https://www.whatismyip.com/port-scanner/

An outside scan says it is closed.
It is closed. What should I do to correct?

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 8:11 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

It is either a Firewall issue on the PC with your database and/or the port 1221 is not forwarded correctly in your local router.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 8:18 am 
Super User
Super User

This is the first time I had SAM on a Norton-protected PC. Norton tells me I have to uninstall it, use Windows Defender, and enable the Port. Does that sound right?

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 9:52 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

AFAIK Symantec has discontinued AV-Updates on Windows 7 when it reached EOL on January 14.
It's a huge security risk to use a Windows 7 machine connected to the internet, even greater if you open ports on a software that hasn't received any updates in close to 10 years.
Grab a Windows 10 license by upgrading your Windows 7 system for free. Even if the official nag screen urging you to upgrade is gone by now, the system for the free upgrade is still there if you trigger it by hand.

---

With that out of the way and if you're really still trying to turn your PC into the next Botnet member:
Turning off Norton and using Windows Defender instead is generally a great idea unless you have an Enterprise Level version of that software that is controlled by and reporting to your IT Department. (I think we can safely assume you wouldn't be posting here if that were the case)

The other option is to set up the Norton included Firewall instead of the Windows 7 built-in Firewall. For help with that please consult your nearest generic computer help forum. I doubt Symantec will help you and I haven't used Symantec AV for close to 20 years as it was always known to be the most invasive and slowing down your system AV-system on the market.

However both of this only applies if your Router/Wifi-AP/Internet-Modem/Whatever you want to call it is properly set up to do port-forwarding to your computer. If you switched computers it is highly likely your previously set up port-forwarding no longer works for the new machine.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 9:58 am 
Super User
Super User

SAM 4.9.8 won't work on Windows 10.

I had a Norton person screen share for 90 minutes just now. They fiddled with various controls, but it did not work.

When my TLs are low, I'll uninstall Norton, since a reboot is required. Windows Defender might open that port for me.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 7:03 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Windows 7 EOL was postponed twice and announced at least 5 years ago. It was also known that all the AV-Vendors would drop support for that OS as soon as it reached EOL. And we know from Windows XP that as soon as EOL is reached it becomes the #1 target in Botnet and Crypto-Trojan attacks.
In the end this is completely your choice, but I would strongly recommend setting aside the money to perform relevant software upgrades every 3-5 years at least. This is cheaper in the end than having all your data encrypted by stuff like WannaCry. (I speak from experience: The company my dad works for had to spend close to 30k EUR for replacing 5 computers, getting everything set up and for data recovery because a virus encrypted all their documents and they were still running XP machines because the old software they had bought some 15 years ago was no longer supported on Windows 7+ and they weren't willing to spend 2000 EUR for the new version)

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode