Skip to Content
It is currently August 1st, 2014, 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 12:11 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

The station I am currently with has a ASCAP lic. In my song database I have over 20,000 mp3. I am not looking forward to going thru them all, and checking them with the ASCAP database. Is there a PAL script that can check the song as it is requested, aginst the database, and if it is there to allow it to be played, and if not to kick the song out of que? if now, how would I go about writting such a script?

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 12:13 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Do you have info on the type of request ASCAP DB would expect?

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 12:16 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I am not sure I am getting your question. So I will try and give the ebst answer I can. Ascap has thier accepted database online. Has listed all the tunes they cover.
https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx
I guess what I am looking for is a PAL script that will query the ASCAP DB and then check to see if it is indeed covered and go from there

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 12:27 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The query has to be formatted in a particular way to return a response. Using a web page is completely different from a direct DB query, not likely a web response would be of much value, do they permit a php db query? if you are licensed membermaybe you can ask such a question from them would also db a username and password most likely to contact their DB.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 12:35 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Thank you for your response. I am at a loss with ASCAP. It seems like I can not find a DB for thier tunes. I swear it is almsot like they want to make things more and more stressful for us webcasters to operate

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 1:15 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The search form sends HTTP GET Requests and gets JSON in return.
This is definitely machine readable, but I wonder how one would match a generic title to any specific track in the ASCAP database.

Could you supply some examples of what you expect to happen?
I.e.: Play Song AC/DC - Hells Bells, Enter "Hells Bells" into the Title Search and then? How do you know you got the right one? Or do you want to just go by the apparent stuff? (i.e. if the title is found you believe that it's covered by ASCAP regardless if it's the right one?)

I mean you can get some good feelings from such an automated system, but it's gotta be hard to determine if the exact work you want to play is covered by your ASCAP license, even from their Database search.

BTW: The JSON Response comes from a URL that contains the word API, so obviously ASCAP wants people to query that database automatically via a computer.
https://mobile.ascap.com/wservice/Mobil ... ells+Bells

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 1:32 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

I believe what I would "LIKE" to se happen is the song ACDC-alblum Back In black\song Back in Black is requested, the script would query the database for ACDC\Back in Black\Back In black.mp3 if it was found it would stay in que, if not it would be kicked from que.
Or something along those lines

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 7:43 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The problem is with along those lines.
I'd be happy putting together something like this. (For Free, as I'm really curious how one would use that).
However, I need to know the exact scenario for this.
I can't make a computer program that searches for "A or something along the lines of A" (that might result in searching for ABBA instead of ACDC ;))

What could be done would be sending in only the title as the query string and then check the result set whether Artist and Album are matching as well. However this will only work if the writing is the same (We can disregard spaces and special characters and capitalization, but The Rolling Stones is still different from Rolling Stones)

I suggest you think about what you expect the system to do by just doing it by hand for a few songs.
Once you know what to search for and what you expect as the result, supply me with some details and we can then explore the depths of the ASCAP system :D

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Problems/Questions | Sourcecode