Skip to Content
It is currently February 27th, 2021, 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 19th, 2004, 2:27 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

A nice feature to have would be the ability to associate the indifference between

<Artist A> featuring <Artist B> - <Title>

and

<Artist A only> - <Title>

because currently, SAM2 recognizes my just "Beyonce Knowles" and "Beyonce Knowles featuring Sean Paul" as different artists. Hence, SAM is liable to play both tracks back to back. DRS has 3 combo boxes where you can fill in the artists associated with the track so that it won't go looking for Sean Paul and Beyonce Knowles or even Destiny's Child within, say, an hour. Basically, it just filters out tracks that are going to showcase similar artists as the track played previously.

Hope to have that feature for SAM2 one day.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2004, 2:44 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Just a thought but you can use the composer field in the ID3v2 tags as your secondary artist.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2004, 7:39 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Hello,

Fortunatelly, Windows MediaPlayer allows you to indicate "Artist A;Artist B", then, you may select, order, or whatever you want Artist A or Artist B or both. It was the most useful implementation that I found on this matter!

Probably SAM2 might support 'Artist A; Artist B' notation.

Best regards,

Jorge.-

PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 2:13 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Even so Jeric, don't you think it's kinda messy for us to use the composer field to separate artists? And besides, I'm sending out titles to the stream and I'm sure it won't display the composer field as well.

I sure hope the jljubich's method would work but I am having serious doubts. Can't Louis work on artists association tagging along the way? It's not urgent but I sure hope it is possible one day.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 12:47 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

I'll keep multi-artist support in mind when I do a major update to the song logic - but dont expect anything soon though

PostPosted: February 20th, 2004, 12:48 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Sloppy ehhhh, I guess so, but more of a quick solution. I thought that would be the easiest and fastest way to do it. I prefer to have everything in my ID3 tags so if I ever lose my SAMDB or if I just want to reload my playlist all the information is still intact in the ID3 tags. Another way to do it is create a column yourself in the SAMDB and name it alternate artist or artist b, etc. But then you can't edit it via sam only through a mysql manager. I see what you are saying and I think it is a reasonable request. In the mean time I think the "composer" tag will do and it should show in the title streaming. I run MP3 so I'm not sure if this can be applied to WMA streaming but adding $composer$ in the title streaming should do the trick. I use ($mmss$) in mine to display the time of the track playing.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2004, 1:25 pm 
New User
New User

The musicbrainz.org standard for this is to make the artist just the first artist mentioned, and then add any featured artist to the song title. For instance, "Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin / Songname" becomes "Frank Sinatra / Songname (feat. Dean Martin)".

It is unfortunate that the ID3 standard doesn't do a better job of this, though.

Cheers
-b

PostPosted: May 11th, 2017, 2:09 pm 
New User
New User

clickbutt wrote:
I'll keep multi-artist support in mind when I do a major update to the song logic - but dont expect anything soon though

13 years later... ;-) Any chance multi artist separation support will be impemented in SAMBC Pro and Cloud? As I saw that has been requested many times here.

It shouldn't be that big deal implementing such a functionality. Probably just adding a config option for maintaining artist "delimiters" like feat. / ft. / vs. etc.?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2019, 8:10 am 
New User
New User

Hey guys, love your product, I've used it for years! I am now programming a station, and am getting several repeats I didn't anticipate, looking for a solution. Genesis playing next to phil collins, next to Mike and the mechanics, next to peter gabriel. Is there a way to tag them all with a genesis tag to restrict their play occurance?

PostPosted: December 12th, 2019, 3:58 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

JimPatrick wrote:
Hey guys, love your product, I've used it for years! I am now programming a station, and am getting several repeats I didn't anticipate, looking for a solution. Genesis playing next to phil collins, next to Mike and the mechanics, next to peter gabriel. Is there a way to tag them all with a genesis tag to restrict their play occurance?

SAM can only check the title, artist and album fields for repetition. No other fields are considered and partial matches don't count either.

That is because repeat rules main purpose isn't about avoiding style conflicts or similarities, but only about the hard rules set by most international radio licensing agencies. (DMCA rules in the US, PRS for music guidelines in the UK or GEMA in Germany only to mention a few)

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode