Skip to Content
It is currently February 27th, 2021, 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The SAM Makeover
PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 8:08 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

justinpbray wrote:
I see that discussions on a potential SAM 5 is in the making.

I want to know is, is SAM 5 really being developed or is this just a speculation? I would like to see some hard evidence / confirmation that SAM 5 is being developed by Spacialaudio.

I have noticed that this discussion about SAM 5 has been going over 2 years now. So where is SAM 5??

2 years to develop an application???? 18 months tops surely!?
The developer, Louis, confirms it here: http://groups.google.com/group/spaciala ... ccc6?hl=en

PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 10:29 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Quote:
2 years to develop an application???? 18 months tops surely!?

Since when has there ever been an expiration date on when a new application is developed? We're told that this new SAM 5 will be a completely new re-write.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 1:44 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Quote:
18 months tops surely!?

Based on what information?
Cite sources and links to requirements and features for the estimate.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 12:16 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Well,

I reckon I'll put my two cents in here. I've been a SAM user since 2004 when I first sank my teeth into internet radio/broadcasting.

Now granted, I've only been in radio since 2004 (started in an FM part time at 16 yrs old), so I've been going at it 6 years, but I've seen quite a few things. I've also used softwares (even demos) of NexGen, Prophet Audio Wizard, OMT, AudioVAULT, Digilink Xtreme, the list is endless, but I've dug my claws into quite a few systems, and at one point, actually used SAM only as a means to stream with, not for playout, except for an Audio In to route the audio from my NexGen 2007 Demo (yes I said demo).

However, with that being said, I had to come back to SAM, after using Jazler RS1 (biggest waste of time and money), because I had given up my NG demo for the sad fact it expired, and I had demoed Jazler...yes I'm rambling here, but bear with me....when I was in commercial radio Prophet was top of the line, now RCS Sound Systems, they still are and like Andrew pointed out, NexGen is my favorite and preferred choice of automation for ANY form of radio broadcasting, if it were affordable, believe me I would be buying it in a heartbeat, and just reload all my XML files I backed up into it. But $1500-$6500+ (the quote I got from my rep in Florida), is a little out of the budget at the moment lol.

That being said SAM has filled the void, and has done a fairly decent job. granted there are a few things in this "makeover" for SAM 5 I would love to see, and I think most of you could agree with me on this.

Ideas:

Multiple Playout Decks with one Cue Deck (Allows for songs and sweeps to be played while if possible there is the option for the current DJ to cue a song without having to try and find it on the local hard drive to preview it)

Better Scheduling: Yes, I know SAM is partnered with Music 1 and they have a SAM edition, but to be honest, I paid the $65 for it when it first came out, was a waste of my time then, and after looking at the video, they are trying to make themselves look as good as Selector, but to be honest, it ain't happening. So in turn it would be nice to see SA offer a way to actually schedule a day's log inside SAM, like NexGen offers, just without too much fancy put into it, make it easy, with little learning curve, but yet make it robust and powerful.

Ability to have I/O and digtal outputs to certain sound cards and broadcast consoles: Yes, I said it, I/O options...most of us know what working in commercial radio is like, and some of us pros who have been in the biz, have all the good toys, pro microphones (I, myself have an RE-20 in studio, just lacking the console), but would love to see the chance to have that option in the future, where we can set up I/O options for i.e. Satellite Feeds (to minimize bandwidth usage while streaming. And of course this re-iterates my point from earlier about the decks, it would allow for us as broadcasters to set active decks, with on/off switches on the console, and to also have a specific cue channel on the console), and to also be able to set up callers with SAM as well, Skype works great, but again re-iterating my point about bandwidth. would save a lot of it.

As far as looks go, I would love to see a way to skin SAM efficiently with little ease, and not a lot of programming knowledge in C# or any other advanced code, I do however applaud the gentleman in the earlier post who completely revamped his SAM using SQL queries, excellent job. But for those of us who need a good looking skin, and a way to make it ourselves with say a pallette to choose from pieces to use would be nice. Me personally, I currently have my SAM set to look like something you might see in AudioVAULT, but would like a way to make it look more NexGen'ish without the price tag.

Honestly, I just wish SAM 5 would hurry up and get here. If I seem like I'm rushing the developers, I'm not, just me in general. However I won't mention the problem I have had with StreamAds as of late *clears throat*.....If it looks good and functions better than SAM 4, I will consider the upgrade....but sadly if my budget gets bigger in the next fiscal year for my company, I will be buying NExGen, I'll still use SAM as my streaming outlet and backup however, and you can take that to the bank.

The Only COUNTRY Station That Serves Statesville, NC

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 1:27 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

In the Makeover I'd also like to ad;

1) A category section that contains the songs or files that CAN NOT be overlaid.

The architecture apears to be there already under 'Special' area- but no-one appears to know how it works.

2) In the Song Detail it shows which folder/category the song is in (could identify double locations).

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 1:42 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

johnblack wrote:
2) In the Song Detail it shows which folder/category the song is in (could identify double locations).

A song can be in multiple categories at the same time. So that is basically already achieved by the Song Type. And the Folder on your harddisk is already shown in the Filename.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 3:44 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

Yes but I want it 'at a glance'.

So going to the Song Detail gives me which folders clearly with a link to these folders and whether it can be overlaid or not.

I don't want to search - I want to see it graphically displayed.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 3:54 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

I see what you want, though I don't know how one could build such a thing.
You can have songs in theoretically thousands of categories. How would you decide which categories to show and which not?

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

I'll agree on this. In the SONG INFO page, would be nice to have another TAB to tell me what category folders that song might be in.

WE DANCE AS ONE: A Celebration In Groove
All That Is GOOD In Dance Music from the
70's, 80's, 90's and Now... plus some of the
best DJs from around the world.
http://www.wda1.com

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 5:50 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Agreed! Song category display has had positive feedback from user of my WordPress plugin.
Attachment:
snippet.png
snippet.png [ 185.76 KiB | Viewed 10531 times ]

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 7:04 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

This looks great on your website. Though I really can't imagine how that would fit the current song info dialog.
Anyone willing to make a mashup based on his/her imagination?

My Project:

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 3:12 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

"Agreed! Song category display has had positive feedback from user of my WordPress plugin."

Festerhead - That's it! :P

This may be a stretch but it would also be great to have some record of it ever being Trashed. So perhaps the screen can have a Trash category.

And as stated elsewhere, it would be great to have a dedicated display that shows the songs that are removed after Track Verification.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 4:13 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

And so the Makeover begins read more; http://www.broadcastingworld.net/news/view-351/

Attachments:
SAM SKIN.jpg
SAM SKIN.jpg [ 59.09 KiB | Viewed 10488 times ]
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 7:23 am 
Alumni
Alumni

Still too small for my pudgy fingers on a touch screen.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 2:10 pm 
Experienced User
Experienced User

I like it Stan.

I was thinking that (despite starting this thread), I would miss the layout of SAM that I've got so used to over the past 5 years if they changed it to a brand new look.

So I think they've done well here - they've addressed the issue of font size and easy-to-read titles.

And that is about where I came in! Well done Team SpacialAudio!

BTW if this thread hits 10,000 views, do I get a free SAM5?... :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next