Skip to Content
It is currently August 14th, 2018, 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Implement TORY and TLAN
PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 2:20 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

Feature Request

I'd very much like to see the ID3 tags TORY (Original Year) and TLAN (Language) implemented: In the database, for searching, display and tag edit.

The Reasons behind

TORY (Original Year)

Professional broadcasters tend to follow rules for setting up a show, like »play songs from one decade only«. Now the TYER (Year) ID3 tag is defined as the year the album/song was released, so I (and most of the colleagues I know of) use TYER (Year) plus TDAT (Date as DDMM) to store the album release date and TORY (Original Year) to denote the original release year. Meaning, you may have a great song on a 2006 compilation disc that actually stems from the year 1967 (TYER=2006, TORY=1967). You want to play »The Sixties« so there should be some means of easily selecting songs from the Sixties which can only be done when TORY is available.

Selecting »Year« (TYER) between 1960 and 1969 wouldn't help since the above song would never show up (being tagged 2006). Saving the value »1967« in TYER is not an option, because it doesn't follow the standard and, besides, would make other software that uses the same tags unusable.

TLAN (Language)

The TLAN tag holds (one or more) languages the song is sung in, using three-character codes according to ISO-639-2, i.e. »ger« for German or »eng« for English. There can be more than one language specified, separated by a NULL byte, like when a song has mainly English lyrics plus some Italian parts (would be »eng(NULL)ita«).

It would be great to be able to access this tag via the database and have it displayed/searchable.

This way, one could easily come up with, say, a »German Rock« show selecting something like TLAN="ger", TCON contains "Rock", TORY between "1970" and "1979". Or maybe some French Chansons, by selecting for TCON="Chanson", TLAN conatins "fre".

All this would make SAM much more versatile and more up to what a broadcaster needs. Since SAM has a blindingly fast database and CAN be a nice »all-in-one solution«, I strongly feel all this should be done »in the core«, not by using a zillion external »helper« programs. Also, it could make for beautiful radio automation using PAL. ;-)

What do YOU think?

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 3:07 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

Good suggestions; especially enjoy the write-up about the benefits.

SAM could benefit from all ID3v2.x (3, 4?) and/or other tag format values but would probably need a re-architect to accommodate.
I'd like to see this extended into lookup tables via source types with the songlist having a key to the type and corresponding ID.
That is, MP3s are stored in the MP3 table, WAVs in the WAV table, WMAs in the WMA table, ...
This way each source table can store all the tags possible without having mix-ups.

But I don't think this is very practical :(

In the meantime, I could do something similar with my Data Conditioner tool; yank out those tag values and store them in the database. There won't be direct SAM access but anything that can do queries could use it; PAL, web sites, manual SQL, ...

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 4:04 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

I liked it to, and think it is a good idea. For the moment, I just "manually" change the tags to the year I need.

Raritan Bay Radio

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 5:14 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

FesterHead wrote:
I'd like to see this extended into lookup tables via source types with the songlist having a key to the type and corresponding ID.
That is, MP3s are stored in the MP3 table, WAVs in the WAV table, WMAs in the WMA table, ...
This way each source table can store all the tags possible without having mix-ups.

Well, the programming team that takes care about tagging stuff could try to contact Florian, the creator of the fantastic MP3Tag (The [Windows] tagging tool—highly recommended). He (correctly!) supports an enormous number of tag types and is always keen to help and improve his program even more.

Btw, Steve, good to read you here! Years ago, some of your PAL script ideas gave me the »starting kick« for some of the radio automation stuff I do today (at least for customers using SAM). And I'm still a regular listener of good old rockin' Festerhead Radio. Aloha!