Indifferent. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not really, no. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
That's stupid! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: new PAL wiki
PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 3:12 pm 
New User
New User

Please have someone dedicate time to rendering a nested PAL script wiki with all the available objects and their descendants laid out in a rational, easy to read way. Keep the current Quick Start Guide, it does serve a purpose.

The current Quick Start Guide has far too many holes in it. It's lengthy, and a pain to do an F3 search on the web page just to find what you are looking for (hopefully it's there).

I don't want every item to link to an example, just a simple black and white site with no frills that shows all the possible objects and their descendants. Possibly a short succinct definition tool-tip on hover.

something like this (example)-

Relay -
.AtLeastOneActive
.Active
.Bitrate
.Format
.Status
.Viewers
.Viewers_High
.Viewers_Max

Encoders -
.StartAll
.StopAll

etc, etc....

The fact is, i don't know all that's available. I don't want to post a support ticket or forum post every time i hit a wall, or spend time typing in possible descendants that i assume should exist, but don't...

I could program a lot faster with a simple quick reference guide.

Please help eliminate the guess work!

Thank you for your consideration :D

Post subject: Re: new PAL wiki
PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 3:21 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Are you sure, you didn't just miss the PAL Scripting Reference included with SAM?
It's a bit old-school format as a Windows help file, but it lists every object and method included in PAL.
Also it includes examples for most of the things.

The QuickStart Guide is more of a first read and tutorial, it's not meant to be the documentation of the PAL scripting language.

I'm still on 2019.2, but my Reference doesn't list a TRelay property called AtLeastOneActive. Is that new?

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 4:21 pm 
New User
New User

Mastacheata wrote:
I'm still on 2019.2, but my Reference doesn't list a TRelay property called AtLeastOneActive. Is that new?

It must be, it's on the Quick Start Page in the Relays section... i'm using 2020.3.

Yes, i know of the Scripting Reference Guide that comes with SAM.

My SAM server is remote, having a website would be very convenient and useful to me. I want to code in my IDE at my leisure without having to TeamViewer into my server all the time for reference or carry the Compiled HTML help file around with me where ever i go.

Even if Spacial hosted the actual help file, per version maybe, on their website, that would suffice.

The current help file is cramped and outdated. Larger text, expanding menus on parent objects would be very nice.

I do understand and appreciate the Quick Start Guide for it's purpose.

I'm not trying to sound like a spoiled child. I do genuinely think having the Reference Guide available online (with updated polish) would be a great and very useful feature.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2020, 1:54 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

graceway wrote:
I'm not trying to sound like a spoiled child. I do genuinely think having the Reference Guide available online (with updated polish) would be a great and very useful feature.

True, Spacial could improve lots on those topics, but their documentation has been lacking for a long time and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

I was just confused by your wording. If you already know about the reference guide and still want more that's definitely a fair feature request, just not something we see here every day (actually most people on this forum are very very very beginner level users of SAM, let alone PAL scripting)

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:

PostPosted: May 13th, 2020, 8:14 pm 
New User
New User

To add to that, an online PAL IDE sandbox would be awesome!

In my estimation, PAL scripting is what keeps me with Spacial. Other software may be easier or more stable, or less expensive, but the customization available is endless with SAM.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2020, 12:40 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

A proper IDE? => Sure give it to me :D
An online IDE? => Well, yeah if you want to mingle with code files outside of SAM and have the hassle of importing them when needed, feel free to do that.
An online sandbox? => I don't see how that would be possible given that PAL is a limited subset of Delphi and a whole bunch of SAM-specific extensions that only make sense in the context of SAM. What did you imagine this doing?

graceway wrote:
In my estimation, PAL scripting is what keeps me with Spacial. Other software may be easier or more stable, or less expensive, but the customization available is endless with SAM.

Nice to hear. But you're maybe one of 30 users with a focus on PAL scripts.
The other 200,000 copies of SAM were sold to people with no or very limited interest in and use for PAL.

(Note: The numbers are made up, just to show the magnitudes.)

My Project: