Skip to Content
It is currently November 22nd, 2019, 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 11:01 pm 
New User
New User

What is theoretically better, to broadcast from your own server with SimpleCast, or to hire Spacial Audio's server and broadcast with EasyCast? We are a religious group that wants to do live on-air talk radio with listener call-ins. We want to start with broadcasting maybe one hour a week, but may want to expand later. We plan to record the podcasts, and upload them to our web server so that people can play them back later (on demand).

Our webserver is with GoDaddy.com. It has a ton of unused bandwidth and space. My tech installed ShoutCast on the server, and he says he got it to stream today, but I followed his directions and it did not stream for me (either with WinAmp or with Windows Media Player). I also tried registering on Audio Realm, but could not find the link. I also could not find us in the ShoutCast directory, although I am sure I registered for that before. ("Dohh!")

I saw EasyCast today. I am thinking, "Wow, that looks easy." Thirty bucks a month and I would be up and running in a half an hour. However, since we are this close, is it better to persevere and get ShoutCast working on our own server (with SimpleCast)? Or should we go with EasyCast? What are the "pros" and "cons"? Thanks.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 9:28 am 
Experienced User
Experienced User

radiowayne, though not commenting on simplecast vs easycast, suggests that if you are going to attempt to webcast then you should be planning to be webcasting 24/7. To only setup a webcast for one hour a week is not worth the effort as you will probably not have many, if any, listeners. At the very least plan on repeating your one hour talk-show until you have more programming. Since it is talk and there is no music in it then you will not have to worry about DMCA music repeat restrictions.

But, then again, he could be wrong.

Wayne G. aka radiowayne