Skip to Content
It is currently December 15th, 2019, 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: servers
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2003, 4:50 pm 
Having had a closer look at audiorealm I feel it is perhaps the better of the "3" that is Audiorealm-Live365-Shoutcast.
Why?
Well having tried a different server for the first time last week ,let me say I never even finished the "free trial period"even with 100 listeners@56k for $47 a month& with 1Gig disc space-REASON too many restrictions for one..ok ok you will say they work along tos regs,but if I put together a show I expect it to be played as per my playlist not having files skipped because they do not comply with TOS.Not for breaking any laws....but

....has anyone ever tried to play two or three tunes in sucession that are NOT on some album? Trying to comply with TOS is like trying to shovel water uphill with a fork(water is not in the original irish word:).

I seemed to come across the same trouble from a server now defunked,who allowed you to upload a gig of a mix and then you could go back and tune in along with all others who uploaded mixes,only to find that after hours of hard work putting it together say 15 tunes to find that only 3 would be in the mix..WHY because they were not Tos compliant somewhere in the depths of the album abyss some album contained 12 or more of the tunes?? of course I should know that should'nt I; that it seems is the way certain servers seem to operates,so fill up the gig space and maybe you will have 100MB played,I stand to be corrected.

Then there is the question of your website You cannot have any advertising on the site that launches the player.That again is in contravention of TOS. You can of course put together a good playlist with a lot of available material on Amazon or other companies and see the buy button ,but you do not receive any credits,I do not mind that if your player and server space are free like here,but not if I am paying for a service,I do expect servers however to charge realistic fees to cover all costs and leave the broadcasters to get on with it,I hate unexpected potholes.

I believe servers should offer better packages instead of watching who is charging a $ more than them. Packages could be like incentives ie to broadcast a different genre like in my case i have trance but also broadcast irish or other less known genres with the package running for 12 months or so with exclusive broadcasting on the parent server only.

Offer listeners some sort of deal instead of them being met with the "begging bowl every time they visit a site"Donations which I disagree with...should if accepted be for the benifit of all broadcasters who are signed up within the parent server and only made through the server. Makes me a little worried when I see very large listener stations still wanting handouts.
Thats it ...for now


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: servers
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2003, 9:29 am 
Offline
Alumni
Alumni

Joined: February 11th, 2003, 1:40 pm
Posts: 2953
I assume you are reffering to our terms on service for being an AudioRealm
member?

Let me clarify a few things
- MOST of those terms only apply if
a) You are using any AudioRealm revenue generation programs (None are
currently available -b ut will be soon(
b) You are an AudioRealm subscription station - in which case we provide the
stream hosting.

So most of those terms are NOT against what you want to do. Applying to the
DMCA laws is something thats up to you. We just provide you with services
and hosting and are not liable for royalties or have to make sure you are
legal. Thats entirely up to you...

On the other hand - check out the member section in about a week when we
re-open the subscription stations for new signups. With this we require you
to be legal while we cover royalties and other fees.

Hope that cleared up a few things?

Louis

<madmick> wrote in message news:983@audiorealm.general...
> Having had a closer look at audiorealm I feel it is perhaps the better of
the "3" that is Audiorealm-Live365-Shoutcast.
> Why?
> Well having tried a different server for the first time last week ,let me
say I never even finished the "free trial period"even with 100 listeners@56k
for $47 a month& with 1Gig disc space-REASON too many restrictions for
one..ok ok you will say they work along tos regs,but if I put together a
show I expect it to be played as per my playlist not having files skipped
because they do not comply with TOS.Not for breaking any laws....but
>
> ....has anyone ever tried to play two or three tunes in sucession that are
NOT on some album? Trying to comply with TOS is like trying to shovel water
uphill with a fork(water is not in the original irish word:).
>
> I seemed to come across the same trouble from a server now defunked,who
allowed you to upload a gig of a mix and then you could go back and tune in
along with all others who uploaded mixes,only to find that after hours of
hard work putting it together say 15 tunes to find that only 3 would be in
the mix..WHY because they were not Tos compliant somewhere in the depths of
the album abyss some album contained 12 or more of the tunes?? of course I
should know that should'nt I; that it seems is the way certain servers seem
to operates,so fill up the gig space and maybe you will have 100MB played,I
stand to be corrected.
>
> Then there is the question of your website You cannot have any advertising
on the site that launches the player.That again is in contravention of TOS.
You can of course put together a good playlist with a lot of available
material on Amazon or other companies and see the buy button ,but you do not
receive any credits,I do not mind that if your player and server space are
free like here,but not if I am paying for a service,I do expect servers
however to charge realistic fees to cover all costs and leave the
broadcasters to get on with it,I hate unexpected potholes.
>
> I believe servers should offer better packages instead of watching who is
charging a $ more than them. Packages could be like incentives ie to
broadcast a different genre like in my case i have trance but also broadcast
irish or other less known genres with the package running for 12 months or
so with exclusive broadcasting on the parent server only.
>
> Offer listeners some sort of deal instead of them being met with the
"begging bowl every time they visit a site"Donations which I disagree
with...should if accepted be for the benifit of all broadcasters who are
signed up within the parent server and only made through the server. Makes
me a little worried when I see very large listener stations still wanting
handouts.
> Thats it ...for now


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2003, 1:13 pm 
No it was just an overall look at servers not you in particular,in fact I look forward to seeing the new package.

One thing that audiorealm has going for it, is, it has not outgrown itself and become impersonal.

Some small broadcasters on other servers I hear tell are now finding it difficult for their listeners to tune in. Messages like "cannot be accessed at this time due to demand"not even having their listener quota met.

I hope that does not happen here after all broadcasters are enthuasists and its for me anyway a passionate hobby,and the door swings both ways.

Thanks for the response Louis at least there is integrity at the top.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2003, 6:00 pm 
Heve we got a problem with the listing on the directory?


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: servers
PostPosted: June 9th, 2003, 2:40 pm 
over 9000 listeners ,somethings going the right way.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group