Skip to Content
It is currently December 11th, 2019, 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2015, 9:43 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Sorry if this is mentioned somewhere in an obvious place, but I can't seem to find it. I'm trying to find out what the situation is, if I'm covered legally if my stream is going out on Tunein.com.

I recently got an e-mail from my host provider warning that the collection agencies are starting to crack down on internet stations that are not "BROADCASTING THEIR STREAM WITHIN THE LICENSED STREAM WEBSITE".

For example, I'm with streamlicensing.com, so to be covered legally, my audio has to stream within the page from streamlicensing.com, as they are the ones I'm paying royalties to. (I know, this stuff makes my head spin). What the collection agencies are trying to crack down on are stations that broadcast out of third party websites like iTunes and Tunein.

I've searched this form to no avail, and had a look through the Terms and Conditions of Tunein.com to see if they mention anything about their licensing arrangement, but could not see anything.

So just wondering does anyone know if Tunein is covered. If not, then I'll have to look into getting my station removed from the service as soon as possible. From memory, I think I submitted my station when they were a free service.

A bit of a side-bar issue, but still related, I think some junk websites are "riding" my stream. The best way I can describe this are websites or directories that unsolicitly list my native stream. A quick google showed the first of these junk sites as being http://www.streamingthe.net/2PR-FM-Pure ... ey/p/34382 . I definitely do not remember submitting to these guys.

So just wondering what the state of play is here? Would I have to search out every junk site that is streaming my audio, and send them a "stop streaming" request?

Any guidance with this issue would be much appreciated.

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 3:33 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

You should have received an email from Marvin dealing with "third party" streaming. its being "allowed" through out 2015 (unless something changes), but 2016 might be a little different.

If you are with streamlicensing.com, Then you should see an email labeled as "May Newsletter", look in the section that says "Current Legal News".

And you will have your answer.

http://www.crossfire-radio.com

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 7:13 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Trex2303 wrote:
You should have received an email from Marvin dealing with "third party" streaming. its being "allowed" through out 2015 (unless something changes), but 2016 might be a little different.

If you are with streamlicensing.com, Then you should see an email labeled as "May Newsletter", look in the section that says "Current Legal News".

And you will have your answer.

Thanks,

I did receive the news letter, but the way it was written was somewhat confusing.

In one paragraph they note that this is okay during 2015, yet in another they state that the PROs are getting serious about auditing stations, and making sure they are streaming ONLY under their streamlicensing webpage.

So if the PROs are doing this, then I would suspect that streaming under third party websites was not okay. This was somewhat of a contradiction and why I wanted to sought clarification.

Now broadcasting limited test hours
From 12:00 midday to 12:00 midnight Australian Eastern Time

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 11:34 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Marvin is allowing it as much as he can, unless the "big money takers" come down on him, but otherwise, its currently allowed. But as stated, things could change in 2016, as one of them is suppose to "raise their costs" and get a bit stricter.

But, only time will tell.

http://www.crossfire-radio.com