Skip to Content
It is currently November 19th, 2019, 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 2:01 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

For 10 years, I've just rolled my own as far as the web pages go. I embedded the SAM php scripts into my own hand-coded html site, allowing me to shape everything exactly as I envisioned it.

I also have a php-Nuke forum with a chat module installed (the most amazing chat app I've ever seen). The chat only works in Nuke, and only up to php5.3.

My web host needs me to get off of php5.3, so I need to find another interface for my chatters. While I'm doing this, I'm considering integrating SAM requests for validation through whatever system I end up using. I see a number of threads here about this, most of them are from 2009 era though. There have been vague mentions to phpBB integration, and there is Festerhead's wordpress plugin.

Ultimately I'd like for all visitors to be able to see the queue/history, guests to be able to request one song in x minutes, and registered users to be able to request at variable rates depending on a status assigned to them. I'd like this validation to correspond to the same interface that my chatters use so that they don't need multiple accounts. And, it needs to be compliant to at least php5.6.

What I want to know is, what are other people using for user-validation for requests? Is wordpress the way to go? Is there something better (newer, easier) that people are using?

Thanks!

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2018, 6:02 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

tjoebgen wrote:
I also have a php-Nuke forum with a chat module installed (the most amazing chat app I've ever seen). The chat only works in Nuke, and only up to php5.3.

Is PHPNuke itself still maintained?
I really thought they had stopped development 10-15 years ago. At least back then it was known mostly for security problems.

tjoebgen wrote:
Ultimately I'd like for all visitors to be able to see the queue/history, guests to be able to request one song in x minutes, and registered users to be able to request at variable rates depending on a status assigned to them. I'd like this validation to correspond to the same interface that my chatters use so that they don't need multiple accounts. And, it needs to be compliant to at least php5.6.

That's something you'll need custom programming for. SAM doesn't support different request timeouts on it's own, but will only ever provide one fixed timeout per IP address.

tjoebgen wrote:
What I want to know is, what are other people using for user-validation for requests? Is wordpress the way to go? Is there something better (newer, easier) that people are using?

99.999% of all people that use requests do so with the unmodified default templates of SAM.
There's maybe a handful of people using fhrsam or another custom wordpress request system (I've been involved with developing 2 and have only seen one more that was developed by a user on their own)

The FHRSAM thing as created by Festerhead (and still hosted by me) does support the soon-to-be-outdated PHP5.6, but not the current PHP7.1/7.2.
I'm not really keen on fixing that plugin as it's code quality is rather low. It's better than the old SAM templates, but still does so many nasty tricks that are absolutely unneccessary.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 6:38 am 
Senior User
Senior User

Mastacheata wrote:
tjoebgen wrote:

Is PHPNuke itself still maintained?
I really thought they had stopped development 10-15 years ago. At least back then it was known mostly for security problems.
Hence my need to get off of it. The only reason I use it is for that chat module (ClearChat, not to be confused with other things called ClearChat). It is the best chat app I've ever seen/used. And, believe it or not, cPanel's various software installers (softaculous, etc.) still has php-nuke available (up to php5.6 I'm told) - but the chat module needs php5.3 due to register_globals.

Mastacheata wrote:
tjoebgen wrote:

That's something you'll need custom programming for. SAM doesn't support different request timeouts on it's own, but will only ever provide one fixed timeout per IP address.

Yes, that is why I was looking for an integration solution. I use SAM default for my request rules, but I want a bit more control before the request is passed on to SAM. A site, StreamingSoundTracks.com, uses php-Nuke for both chat and for requests (with custom request options for different types of users), but they run on their own dedicated hardware and don't have to worry about their web-host changing the php version to something that breaks their site.

Mastacheata wrote:
tjoebgen wrote:

There's maybe a handful of people using fhrsam or another custom wordpress request system (I've been involved with developing 2 and have only seen one more that was developed by a user on their own)

Hoping to hear from some of those people. I was really hoping to use phpBB as my "new" forum as it will take my original threads with somewhat minimal effort on my part, but if the best way is WordPress, then I'll focus my dev in that direction. My problem, however, is time. My host has given me a deadline (end of April).

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 5:50 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Oh, and Joomla too. Anyone using the Sam2Joom component?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2019, 11:35 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

I have the same issue, trying to have login integtration for requesting, as with the Sam and the templates only use IP address and now people have figured out to change devices (PC/Mac network data over to Mobile data or IP switching software) they can over ride the limit I have set.
I currently use Nuke Evolution Xtreme for my site and the staff there still update and release new versions. It also uses a forum by PHPBB, the version is 2.0 but has been modified to work with the CMS and it kinda looks like they added some 3.0 stuff for security.

I have an old festerhead phpbb integration but I don't think it will work, and besides it does not have the Pals or SQL for the database tables.
So I am in the same boat and looking for a little integration mainly just for the request system.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 9:12 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

armor wrote:
I have an old festerhead phpbb integration but I don't think it will work, and besides it does not have the Pals or SQL for the database tables.
So I am in the same boat and looking for a little integration mainly just for the request system.

Still works today if using phpbb3.0.XX, that is what I use today still. Festerheads method does not work on phpbb 3.1 and greater.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 1:05 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

armor wrote:
I have the same issue, trying to have login integtration for requesting, as with the Sam and the templates only use IP address and now people have figured out to change devices (PC/Mac network data over to Mobile data or IP switching software) they can over ride the limit I have set.

If you have any login system in place where we can just look up the userid in the database, based on something like session id or cookie value, that's darn easy to build.
I've got no clue about phpNuke or phpBB at all, though. Honestly: I thought Nuke was dead for at least 15 years now (Ok, it's only been 10 years since the last update, but still it's dead as it gets in IT)

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:

PostPosted: April 1st, 2019, 3:25 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

Mastacheata wrote:
armor wrote:

If you have any login system in place where we can just look up the userid in the database, based on something like session id or cookie value, that's darn easy to build.
I've got no clue about phpNuke or phpBB at all, though. Honestly: I thought Nuke was dead for at least 15 years now (Ok, it's only been 10 years since the last update, but still it's dead as it gets in IT)

Quite dead... I had to finally move off of Nuke last year at the demands of my hosting provider. I really only used Nuke because of an excellent chat module that was developed for it (still the best community chat I've ever used or run). But, I had to dump Nuke. Now my sites use a combination of hand-written html/php (for SAM integration), phpBB3 (for forum and chat), and wordpress (for a new look).

Someday, I want to hire one of you guys to build me some code (for either phpBB3 or WordPress) that will pass requests to SAM based on permissions that I give each person/group.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 12:45 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Yes Nuke itself is deader than a door nail, Nuke Evolution Xtreme https://evolution-xtreme.co.uk/ is based off the old Nuke but as I said has been constantly updated, So far it is completely compliant with PHP 5.6 and some users are using PHP 7.2 with no issues. They are coming out with 3.0 version soon I hope that will be compliant with PHP 7+, kinda why I would hate to ditch it for something else. I was recently thinking about the userid as Mastacheata just mentioned as well, I already have a table set in samdb with requesthistory that contains userid from an old joomla install I had, wondering if it can still be used? Right now my EVO mysql is on a different web server but I think I could move it to the same server as Sam. I just had a look at your site DJ Cassio and could fit the bill of what I need if I have to go to phpBB only, but I hope to keep my current EVO system.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2019, 1:25 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The evolution thing claims to be a theme for phpNuke, doesn't that mean it still uses the old nuke code deep down?

armor wrote:
I was recently thinking about the userid as Mastacheata just mentioned as well, I already have a table set in samdb with requesthistory that contains userid from an old joomla install I had, wondering if it can still be used? Right now my EVO mysql is on a different web server but I think I could move it to the same server as Sam.

Sure, but the table alone doesn't get you anywhere. It's the other way around: The samPHPweb code needs to be able to find the userid of a logged in user visiting it. Usually that can be gathered from a cookie (Hit F12 key on your keyboard, then check the web-storage tab in the new window and in there should be a cookies element on the left-hand navigation. -- This applies to Firefox, the Layout and Labels are different in Chrome and Chromium-based browsers)

My Project:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 12:07 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Yes you are probably right, a lot is most likely old nuke code just updated upon. I do use firefox and that is cool, I do see the cookie info there. Not sure if it is a problem as I can not see any username or userid I tried both my own user accounts also logged out of admin but no luck, is this normal? I see 8:""userid";s"

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2019, 4:09 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

In phpbb the cookie with the userid is called phpbb3_aqgvu_u (I think aqgvu is a random string for this very instance)
https://imgur.com/ijhmnCU

My Project:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2019, 9:14 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

What would need to be added to the samPHPweb code to gather the cookie info of a logged in user on my site?

PostPosted: April 5th, 2019, 3:45 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

Find the code where it picks up the user's IP address and replace it with the cookie value would be the easiest way to go.
Cookies can be read in PHP using the $_COOKIE superglobal array.

My Project:

PostPosted: April 6th, 2019, 3:16 am 
Junior User
Junior User

Your making me work for this...lol...I don't mind much as it helps me learn, I was originally looking into $_SESSION but going no where and also started looking into $_COOKIE, I'm not good at PHP yet, HTML is very easy.